Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2020-2021

• OKAYAMA has switched on their defense mode :super:

They should get a few extra points every match just for how entertaining they are

• It's not over yet but I think NoSmilers got a little pissed they had to stoop to a tie break with SAGA :box:

• There's something extra comforting when Nishimura is on the floor :rose:

• I love Mizuki Ugajin but NoSmiler's offense didn't kickstart until Miyashita took over the rhythm. She fed Furukawa a lot. Nice sets that had her leaning into it. Bang!

NoSmilers 3–2 SAGA

• Any stream for Toyota vs Kurobe?

Last match of the night rarely gets a stream. I don't know why. Kurobe is about to sweep Toyota

• I wasn't able to watch Saga vs Okayama but looking at the official clip VLeague put out I don't think I can trust Nakagawa so hopefully they bench her tomorrow and let Nagaoka take over on a full set.

I want to say that I really don't mind watching Saga crash and burn but then I'm reminded that Nagaoka has yet to participate in a winning match. That big ole ZERO is just nagl. Her hype is pretty much dead at this point even if the image of her crying during her first game of the season is everywhere on the news.

I'm also a little bewildered there's very little support for Mayu during live games. Not sure about Kurogo though.

But yeah anyway given how inconsistent and awful Saga has been I'm gonna go ahead and ready myself

• Sakai said they agreed to limit Miyu's presence as much as possible not only to take it easy on her but also to give way to Nakagawa who is, according to him Saga's "rising star". He repeats this in every official Saga article. You can actually see Miyu telling Nakagawa what to do during timeout. Overall I don't think it takes away anything from her because her individual stats are on a league of its own. You don't even see her frowning when they lose, still shiny shimmering splendid all the way to the exit. But I agree not being able to participate in at least 1 winning match is a huge shame.

• Foluke had 48 swings??? :read::what:

That's five more than Yuki Ishii took and FORTY more than SAGA's other MB :)

There was a point where Foluke was unleashed and looked like she was going to drive it home, then Okayama started digging her. Foluke made zero errors.

• 2020.11.21 Results

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Stats Highlights

Denso 3-1 Hitachi

25-18

23-25

26-24

25-21

99–88

YT

Himeji 0-3 Toray

16-25

14-25

15-25

45–75

YT

SAGA 2-3 Okayama

25-27

25-20

25-18

22-25

8-15

105–105

YT

PFU 0-3 JT

17-25

10-25

18-25

45–75

YT

Toyota 0-3 Kurobe

16-25

22-25

23-25

61–75

YT

• I'm also a little bewildered there's very little support for Mayu during live games

I think Mayu gets undue praise from the mainstream press which sort of works against her with fans? She also doesn't seem as interested in being a fan favorite. She's a serious baller. I give her that. And even though she's killing Kurogo in stats, I think Kurogo looks better. Ai seems to be in great shape but can't put yp the numbers Mayu does.

Just in passing, I think most all Japanese players look to be in some of the best shape I've ever seen them. I read in other league threads about post quarantine fatigue shape, or whatever, but I see the opposite in Japan. They used the isolation well, it seems, also for team bonding. And there's lots of players who are pursuing the Mayu brute force serve. They must have practiced that during downtime as well. Good service going on in Japan right now.

• JT is #1 now! I’m pretty sure their and Toray’s final match for the 1st rd will be the battle who finishes at #1 for the 1st half.

Excited for the cup this December. Hoping it pushes through.

• Is JT better this year that they're not using Drews as much?

I see Simone is still on course to have her arm fall off :lol::gone:

I believe if you were to ask werka he would say JT is not as good this year because they are not using Annie early enough, maybe not enough overall. I don't know. Sprint or Marathon? I think the value of big swinging imports is in finishing -- sets, matches, seasons. But werka 's frustration with JT setter Momii worries me. I think if she stumbles, JT isn't so destined for another title.

Kurobe is a surprise this year. They have a few capable swingers that should help prevent Simone's arm from turning blue :lol:

• I believe if you were to ask werka he would say JT is not as good this year because they are not using Annie early enough, maybe not enough overall. I don't know. Sprint or Marathon? I think the value of big swinging imports is in finishing -- sets, matches, seasons. But werka 's frustration with JT setter Momii worries me. I think if she stumbles, JT isn't so destined for another title.

Kurobe is a surprise this year. They have a few capable swingers that should help prevent Simone's arm from turning blue :lol:

girl shut up lol

I’m concerned about Momii because her sets were all over the place during the past few matches. Even that huge 2nd set lead couldn’t be attributed to JT’s attack (which was so much better last season, check the percentage). Their blocking (esp: Akutagawa) was their 2nd set difference-maker.

JT also seems to be pushing more to setting up Hayashi more this season. I guess they want her to get MVP or smth so she can get noticed more by Nakada and get into Tokyo or something.