Brazil - Superliga 2021/2022

• Well, Cruzeiro went from a proven champion coach to an unproven one.. that was bound to happen... Congrats SESI, I'm not a fan of Anderson but it seems that he's doing a good job

The main problem is the setter...I like him but we can see he gets very nervous in these situtations. Sada has been having many ups and downs since he became the main setter

• The main problem is the setter...I like him but we can see he gets very nervous in these situtations. Sada has been having many ups and downs since he became the main setter

Yeah, he's just not good playing for Sada. Kinda wish he'd leave and play for other teams for a bit, change airs or something.

• Really, you guys think so? TBH, I really like him. I think he's had some ups and downs, but for example, I don't think he's any worse than Bruno was when he was 25. But I agree that the current generation of setters doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. 10 years ago we had a lot, really a lot, of better options. But that's also why I think there's nowhere much else to look for besides Cachopa, at least right now.

Last night, I was surprised when Filipe replaced him, because the only thing I think he could've tried more was involving his MB's in the game. Wallace was kind of a mess, Lopez was very up and down, but Lucas Loh was surprisingly a good asset, at least before Cachopa went to the bench. I think Sada was hurt by not having Rodriguinho in good shape. I actually think Filipe should try to use Oppenkoski more in the coming matches, because last night he was totally unprepared, but during the season I think he'll be needed. I actually don't know him very well, but I think they definitely need a plan B when it comes to opposites.

• Really, you guys think so? TBH, I really like him. I think he's had some ups and downs, but for example, I don't think he's any worse than Bruno was when he was 25. But I agree that the current generation of setters doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. 10 years ago we had a lot, really a lot, of better options. But that's also why I think there's nowhere much else to look for besides Cachopa, at least right now.

Last night, I was surprised when Filipe replaced him, because the only thing I think he could've tried more was involving his MB's in the game. Wallace was kind of a mess, Lopez was very up and down, but Lucas Loh was surprisingly a good asset, at least before Cachopa went to the bench. I think Sada was hurt by not having Rodriguinho in good shape. I actually think Filipe should try to use Oppenkoski more in the coming matches, because last night he was totally unprepared, but during the season I think he'll be needed. I actually don't know him very well, but I think they definitely need a plan B when it comes to opposites.

IMO Bruno was way better.

• IMO Bruno was way better.

Yeah, I remember Bruno having a fantastic season in Modena in 2011 when he joined them for the playoffs after Mikko Esko got injured. And it is tricky, because Bruno made a big progress in 2012 in NT when Ricardinho returned to the NT, he was by far the best setter in London OG. Cachopa will be 26 in two months. :)

I like Cachopa though, but I don't think staying in Brazil for too long is good for development considering a level of the league currently. But he's still very young for a male setter, and sooner or later he'll get his chances as a starter in NT, it's not like he has any competition.

• IMO Bruno was way better.

Agreed. At least he already had a bunch of titles playing as a starter with Cimed by then.

I do think Resley did better yesterday, yeah. I felt like the spikers were more comfortable with his sets. Sometimes I feel that Cachopa in Sada just seems uninspired, like his game just doesn't happen there for some reason I don't know. Like sloth said, he seems to do better in the NT, which is why I think changing teams and trainers for a bit would help him -- he's been with Sada forever after all.

• I totally think it will be helpful for Cachopa to move abroad too. Though half of the NT players are still (or were, before Maurício left Minas) in the League, the level dropped a lot this year, so there won't be much room to be challenged. But I think Cachopa still hasn't won the Superliga playing as starter, right? Maybe that's one of the reasons why he hasn't considered moving away. Anyway, I always saw potential in him, even in that first year he was starter in Sada and all their supporters wanted him gone. But I'll try to observe him with more critical eyes from now on.

As for Bruno, I think he did really well in the Superliga with Cimed in his earlier years. Maybe I didn't use to think that highly of him because there were a lot of other good setters back then, and I didn't necessarily think he was that much ahead of them then. Specially in the NT, I think he only started coming into his own from 2013-ish onwards...

• Yeah, I really like and root for Cachopa too, but from the get go he's either been in the shadows of other setters in Sada or he's been obliterated by their fanbase, which cannot be too good for his development I think. I do hope he plans on moving abroad soon, he can always come back and win a bunch of Superliga titles like William did last decade.

• Tonight we had a great match between Sada/Cruzeiro and Minas - the last "classic" from the first part of the season, if I'm not mistaken. I really expected Sada to bounce back from the loss to Sesi and break Minas' invincibility. Minas had other plans. They won by 3 x 1 and now opened 4 points from Sada in the ranking table, while still having 1 less match played.

I feel really impressed by Vissoto. I never really liked him and, maybe except for those 2 final matches on the 2010 WCH, I never really thought he belonged to the NT. To me, for a long time he was just that guy with a huge potential ever since he was a kid, but who was never, or almost never, able to achieve it. But the truth is he improved tremendously ever since he left the NT and I think that currently he's in his best technical shape ever. He's obviously past his physical peak, but he developed skills to score whenever it's needed like he didn't have some years ago.

And Minas as a team is working really well. Very solid in the back court, making it easier for William to pull his tricks. Sada, OTOH, is a little bit in trouble, I feel. Another match where Cachopa was benched, the team at times seemed all over the place. They don't have balance among the OH's. Lopez is a very important scorer for the team, but at the same time he's too much of a liability in the reception. Due to Rodriguinho's physical problems, Filipe was not able to try this, but I have the feeling that if he tried to take Lopez out, Rodriguinho and Loh won't be able to support Wallace. I actually think Filipe doesn't really know what to do... Anyway, I still consider them the heavy favorites for this season, but they need to get a lot better ASAP.

• Vissotto was decisive at early stage of his NT career, he was amazing both in WL final in 2009 against Serbia and in medal phase games at WCH a year after, but then has had many health issues after 2010, not only related to these heart problems, but in general (eg. got injured in London in QF), ad I think that is a main reason why he didn't succeed as much as he could've on NT level, IIRC at some point Rezende even took Evandro as a backup of Wallace over LV because he was more stable. But yeah, it is really impressive how good he still is after all these years.

• Brazilian Cup is currently ongoing and the finals are gonna be tonight with Minas and Vôlei Renata. Minas eliminated Guarulhos in the semis, while Renata managed to finally beat Sada Cruzeiro yesterday 3-2, with Adriano as best scorer (28 pts).

• Brazilian Cup is currently ongoing and the finals are gonna be tonight with Minas and Vôlei Renata. Minas eliminated Guarulhos in the semis, while Renata managed to finally beat Sada Cruzeiro yesterday 3-2, with Adriano as best scorer (28 pts).

The match between Sada and Vôlei Renata was one of the best in the season, if not the best. I was really surprised by Renata's performance, because they were having overall a disappointing season. And also they were missing Lucão, who is their biggest star. Adriano and Bruno Temponi both had stellar performances. I hope Renan gives Adriano a chance in the NT this year. He has some ups and downs and still struggles in reception but he's already one of the best spikers in the country. He was so cool and mature in the very last points to decide the match!

For Sada, it's hard to understand how much they alternate between great to mediocre during the season. Rodriguinho is also an OH who deserves a chance in the NT, but he really needs to pull himself together. He totally shoot his team in the foot in the beginning of the tie break when he threw a hissy fit and had fallouts with both the referee and Lukinha, the libero from his own team. (And this has been talked nonstop, we know the refereeing has issues, but the way the players act when a referee has a bad call is simply ridiculous, they completely lose reason...)

In the final, yesterday, Minas gave Renata no chance. I think Renata went out of gas after that great battle against Sada. Minas is playing so well, they're like a well-oiled machine! William makes all the difference. And I'm still very impressed by Vissoto, he's in the best shape of his career. This season is Minas's to lose.

• The match between Sada and Vôlei Renata was one of the best in the season, if not the best. I was really surprised by Renata's performance, because they were having overall a disappointing season. And also they were missing Lucão, who is their biggest star. Adriano and Bruno Temponi both had stellar performances. I hope Renan gives Adriano a chance in the NT this year. He has some ups and downs and still struggles in reception but he's already one of the best spikers in the country. He was so cool and mature in the very last points to decide the match!

For Sada, it's hard to understand how much they alternate between great to mediocre during the season. Rodriguinho is also an OH who deserves a chance in the NT, but he really needs to pull himself together. He totally shoot his team in the foot in the beginning of the tie break when he threw a hissy fit and had fallouts with both the referee and Lukinha, the libero from his own team. (And this has been talked nonstop, we know the refereeing has issues, but the way the players act when a referee has a bad call is simply ridiculous, they completely lose reason...)

In the final, yesterday, Minas gave Renata no chance. I think Renata went out of gas after that great battle against Sada. Minas is playing so well, they're like a well-oiled machine! William makes all the difference. And I'm still very impressed by Vissoto, he's in the best shape of his career. This season is Minas's to lose.

Does he really? I think he is so average...

• Does he really? I think he is so average...

Interesting topic. I think he's one of the best, most all-around OH's from the younger generation. He does need to improve his consistency.

From the top of my head, I think himself, Adriano, Vaccari, Birigui, all deserve chances. I also wonder what ever happened to Kadu... :/

I know some people push for Honorato, and I think he's being consistent for the past few seasons, but I don't know... I still think he should be really spectacular to compensate for his height though...

OTOH, Rodriguinho's attitude is a turnoff, but I don't necessarily think Renan will take this into account... :roll:

• Wow, biggest upset in the season! Natal just beat Minas 3 x 2. I have no idea how this happened. Minas still hadn't been beated in the competition, while Natal had been completely falling apart lately. I think they already lost like 4 or 5 players who moved to other clubs throughout the season. There was that debacle with Javier Weber, and lately even João Marcondes, the new coach, has been struggling with COVID. Minas let Vissoto out, cause hes been struggling with injury. Still, of all teams, the last one I expected could beat Minas was Natal.

• First "upset" of the playoffs just happened with Vôlei Renata (6th) beating SESI (3rd) in the first match of the QFs. Although it's not really an upset since Renata as a whole is the better team -- they just suffered with too many injuries throughout the season. SESI's wings were simply awful today, while Leo (MB) probably the best performance of his career so far (17 pts in a 0-3 loss).

• First "upset" of the playoffs just happened with Vôlei Renata (6th) beating SESI (3rd) in the first match of the QFs. Although it's not really an upset since Renata as a whole is the better team -- they just suffered with too many injuries throughout the season. SESI's wings were simply awful today, while Leo (MB) probably the best performance of his career so far (17 pts in a 0-3 loss).

I couldn't watch the match, but I was appalled by SESI's numbers. It seems Temponi had a great match (he was absent for a while, right?) and Evandro, of all people, was a highlight. Everyone (safe for Barreto, who barely was set to) above the 60% mark in attack. SESI, OTOH, my gosh... Only the MB's were scoring consistently. Guiga's level has been dropping since the middle of the season, but right now he's a ghost, it seems. Not that we ever thought he was such a thing, but the discrepancy from the beginning of the season is too much. And it seems SESI left Adriano off the hook in reception and only targeted Temponi. :aww:

• I couldn't watch the match, but I was appalled by SESI's numbers. It seems Temponi had a great match (he was absent for a while, right?) and Evandro, of all people, was a highlight. Everyone (safe for Barreto, who barely was set to) above the 60% mark in attack. SESI, OTOH, my gosh... Only the MB's were scoring consistently. Guiga's level has been dropping since the middle of the season, but right now he's a ghost, it seems. Not that we ever thought he was such a thing, but the discrepancy from the beginning of the season is too much. And it seems SESI left Adriano off the hook in reception and only targeted Temponi. :aww:

Anderson was pissed at his servers during a timeout because all they had to do was target Adriano and none of them were doing it lol But yeah, Guiga's been awful ever since he shaved his beard off for a while now, and they don't have anyone on the bench other than Murilo of all people. Just yikes all around.

• O Elian é uma figura lol Elian is such a character I can't help but enjoy watching him lmao Hope he stays here in Brazil for a while longer, he could be a good option for plenty of teams.