2021 FIVB U21 World Championship | Italy & Bulgaria

• Next U21 tournament will take place from September 23rd to October 3rd. Decided to create the thread in case anyone's interested in discussing what's gonna happen!

Official Website

Pools:

Pool A

23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy

23px-Flag_of_Egypt.svg.png Egypt

23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png Thailand

Pool B

23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png Bulgaria

23px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png Cuba

23px-Flag_of_Bahrain.svg.png Bahrain

23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland

Pool C

23px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png Iran

23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina

23px-Flag_of_Morocco.svg.png Morocco

23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium

Pool D

23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia

23px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil

23px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png Cameroon

23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png Canada

• saishuu

Changed the title of the thread from “2019 FIVB U21 World Championship | Italy & Bulgaria” to “2021 FIVB U21 World Championship | Italy & Bulgaria”.
  • Does anyone have intel or rosters from any teams? I imagine Italy is a medal contender, especially if Michieletto goes. Bulgaria also might be going with some players from the last VNL, like Karyagin? All I know is Brazil is training with a bunch of promising players who've already played the last local Superliga and some who were even called to adult NT trainings, namely Adriano (OH, 199), Leo (MB, 201) and Darlan (OPP, 192).

• Does anyone have intel or rosters from any teams? I imagine Italy is a medal contender, especially if Michieletto goes. Bulgaria also might be going with some players from the last VNL, like Karyagin? All I know is Brazil is training with a bunch of promising players who've already played the last local Superliga and some who were even called to adult NT trainings, namely Adriano (OH, 199), Leo (MB, 201) and Darlan (OPP, 192).

Wide roster of Polish NT:

https://www.pzps.pl/pl/siatkow…kcje-szkoleniowe-juniorzy (the first link to download)

We're not medal contenders, but have pretty solid core of young players, especially with Gierzot (OH), Gomułka (OPP) and Urbanowicz (MB).

Roster of Italian NT for June camp (no Michieletto at least at this point due to senior NT):

https://dal15al25.gazzetta.it/…era-a-darfo-boario-terme/

It looks like it will be the same core of players with Porro, Rinaldi, Catania and Stefani in major roles, the question is if Michieletto makes it as well, it's important to point out that WCH starts 3 or 4 days after a final of senior ECH, and it's highly probable that Michieletto will be engaged with a senior NT again.

Bulgarian roster:

https://bgvolleyball.com/pictu…5312650864186594189_n.jpg

https://bgvolleyball.com/pictu…nshot_20210704_201504.jpg

Karyagin again playing as an opposite, son of Vladimir Nikolov, Alexander as really promising OH (2003, so he's double-underager), with once more talened teenager in person of Valchiinov. Tatarov (2003 too) is also really talented, all of them have already played in senior Bulgarian league in major roles. Bulgarian teams regulary overachieve results-wise while playing on their home soil, so it may be a case again this year.

Brazilian wide roster:

https://selecoes.cbv.com.br/selecao-sub-21-m

For me, Brazil with Darlan, Vinicius, Nathan, Adriano, Leo and Reich will be indeed a team to beat at this competition, unless Michieletto plays there (Italy co-organize a tournament, so they may have a pressure to succeed).

I can't find a roster of Russia, but I'd expect them to play with pretty similar squad as in the previous years with Murashko and Kurbanov in leading roles.

Iran, Czech Republic and Belgium may all have a shot for a decent result as well, especially Iran with Bardia Saadat, and Belgium with Ferre Reggers, who, as a double-underager, has already played this summer with senior NT. Argentina didn't have a single individual standout two years ago, yet they still made it to the Final Four at Youth level. The question marks are probably Cuba, cause I don't think they'll take Yant for a competition, although theoretically it is possible, and Egypt, cause they were really good at U19 WCH two years ago, finishing 4th.

• Yo, thanks a bunch for all the info! I've been following these from a distance for a few years, but this is gonna be the first U21 tournament I actively watch and pay attention to, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll keep an eye on everyone you mentioned.

Regarding Italy, now that Michieletto made the Olympic squad, I wonder if they're still gonna use him in the U21 championship -- imo there's no reason to do so.

• Yo, thanks a bunch for all the info! (...) Regarding Italy, now that Michieletto made the Olympic squad, I wonder if they're still gonna use him in the U21 championship -- imo there's no reason to do so.

You're welcome.

It's all a matter of preference, the problem is, like I said, that the final of senior Euro is on September 19th, and a first game of a tournament is on September 23rd, even if Italy doesn't make it to the finals during ECH, these competitions are still so close time-wise to each other.

But I remember that Uros Kovacevic as an 18yo in a single summer played during WCH U19 (gold medal, MVP), WCH U21 (bronze medal, alongside Atanasijevic) and Euro 2011 (as a 4th OH, gold medal), LOL, so in span of two months he won a medal in every age category possible. I also remember when FIVB decided to organize WCH U23, and Serbia sent to the tournament after Senior ECH (where they won a bronze medal) group of Uros Kovacevic, Atanasijevic and Lisinac, with Bata already a leader of senior NT, yet didn't win a gold at U23 level, cause Brazil organized that tournament and sent the best team-possible as well with Lucarelli as an already established starter for senior NT playing on junior level. That was really entertaining game btw. I also remember that Cuba sent their A-team to WCH U21 in 2009, with Leon, who at that time was already a Cuban starter as well, but the difference is he was 16yo, and what's interesting is that Cuba as well lost a final to Brazil, where your beloved Mauricio Borges received the MVP award. :D

So if Italy really cares about winning a tournament at home, they may indeed send there Michieletto, like many teams before that already have established stars as juniors, but it is possible that he'll be a starter of senior NT already (especially with exclusion of Lanza on Tokyo list), so the question is open whether that makes sense or not.

• Italy played with a libero (Mattia Gottardo, 1st libero of Padova in upcoming season) as OH2 in recent friendlies against Italy B (and he was the best scorer in one of those), so having Michieletto will be a bit helpful.

I hope Michieletto won't get tormented with a load of matches in near future because of a fact he's long-awaited prodigy in Italian volleyball, playing VNL, OG, ECH and WCH U21 in 4 months is a stretch for a skinny teenager, and that's just the beginning. But maybe it's good that this team will get a chance for a revenge after what happened at ECH U20 last year.

• I hope Michieletto won't get tormented with a load of matches in near future because of a fact he's long-awaited prodigy in Italian volleyball, playing VNL, OG, ECH and WCH U21 in 4 months is a stretch for a skinny teenager, and that's just the beginning. But maybe it's good that this team will get a chance for a revenge after what happened at ECH U20 last year.

Michieletto's Russian counter-part for this age-level Murashko/Kurbanov is soooo far back now it's amazing how he quickly transitioned in Italian senior NT, reminds me a lot of Arina.

• Michieletto's Russian counter-part for this age-level Murashko/Kurbanov is soooo far back now it's amazing how he quickly transitioned in Italian senior NT, reminds me a lot of Arina.

Yeah, Kurbanov and Murashko can become really decent players in the future, but Michieletto is once in a while type of talent, same as Arina. I don't think we've ever seen 205/206 cm tall left-handed OH with really good reception, he's so composed technically and that's why he made this transition so quickly.

But let's wait if he's really that impactful player as he should be during this event, I remember that in 2013 Uros Kovacevic after ECH went to WCH U-21, and played atrocious game against Italy in 1/16, so Serbia was eliminated quickly, because he was probably too exhausted after all summer with senior NT. Theoretically, Italy playing at home should be a main favorite here.

• I don't think we've ever seen 205/206 cm tall left-handed OH with really good reception, he's so composed technically and that's why he made this transition so quickly.

This is for sure very unusual as in general the assumption would be for someone that tall and lefty to play as OPP, but he used to be kinda short (at least for high level volleyball) up until 16 or so, and was playing as OH/Libero and planning to permanently move as libero. Luckily he grew up by quite a lot :lol:

• This is for sure very unusual as in general the assumption would be for someone that tall and lefty to play as OPP, but he used to be kinda short (at least for high level volleyball) up until 16 or so, and was playing as OH/Libero and planning to permanently move as libero. Luckily he grew up by quite a lot :lol:

Yup, and because of a fact he played as a libero, he has really decent defensive/reception skills, especially for a player of his size.

The only OH from a recent memory that comes to my mind in terms of similar characteristic (tall, yet allround player decent both defensively and offensively, really versatile in spiking) is Mateusz Mika, who was a starter in 2014 when we won WCH at home, but he's played like a season on world class level because then he started a downfall due to chronic knee injuries. But he was 207 cm tall, with great variety offensively and really solid reception, and was for a year some really world class player. Michieletto is much more athletic, and a left hand is additional asset, but I get similar vibe from him, and it's hard not to enjoy this vibe. :P

Pure joy to watch back then.

Obviously, there are as well players like Anderson, or Khtey in the past, who were/are really solid technically for their size, but Michieletto plays in a way you'd expect from much shorter players like Rossard or Uros Kovacevic or Olek Śliwka, and in addition to that he's left-handed. Once VNL female play-by-play announcer called Michieletto the unicorn of volleyball, and that's definitely correct in a way, although many factors are in play whether he'll realize his potential or not.

• So I might be reading too much into it, but I'm afraid there's something going on with Darlan (BRA, OPP). A couple of days ago Brazilian federation posted a pic with all the U21 players on their IG page and he was nowhere to be found, which is odd given how he's the main opposite of the team. People then asked where he was, no one answered, and now Darlan has made his IG account private -- it was public just a day or two ago.

Some more context: Adriano also wasn't in this post because he's training with the adult NT. The federation did, however, answer people who asked where he was and whether he's gonna play the U21 championship (he is). The questions regarding Darlan on the other hand were ignored.

• Brazilian roster:

S: Gustavo Orlando (189), Rafael Forster (177)

OPP: Darlan Souza (192), Guilherme Sabino (201)

OH: Adriano Xavier (199), Paulo Vinicios (196), Felipe Varela (189), Arthur Bento (208)

MB: Léo Andrade (201), Kelvi Giovani (204), Guilherme Rech (202)

L: Pedro Tomasi (177)

Nathan (OH) was cut last week and now Arthur from the U19 squad is going instead. Standouts should be the usual Darlan, Adriano and possibly Léo and Paulo Vinicios. The team is currently playing 3 friendlies with the adult team of Minas, with one win for each team so far.

So I might be reading too much into it, but I'm afraid there's something going on with Darlan (BRA, OPP). [...]

Also, in regards to this, the mystery has been solved a while ago: he got COVID. He's been back to trainings normally for a few days now.

• Russian roster

S: Anton Anoshko (2.02), Mikhail Vyshnikov (2.06)

Opp: Roman Murashko (2.02), Nikita Morozov (2.02)

MB: Yuri Brazhniuk (2.05), Kirill Ionov (2.07), Roman Romanovskyi (2.10)

OH: Stanislav Dineykin (2.01), Omar Kurbanov (1.95), Ilya Kazachenkov (2.09), Vadim Yutsevich (2.00)

L: Ilya Fedorov (1.90)

https://volley.ru/news/25154/

• Brazil is already in Bulgaria playing friendlies with the home team. First game went 5-0 in sets to Brazil.

ETA: Today they played against Russia, who won 3-2.

• Russia should place in the podium with this roster, I see Nikolaev is still the HC explains why the squad is mostly made up Fakel players