75th All-Japan High School Championship 2023 (Jan 4–8)

• Furukawa running away with the Tie Break :(

• Congratulations to the Furukawa Girls :cup:

Akane Abe and Ayaka Minamidate really stepped on it in the Tie Break. I imagine they will both go to Uni. The short girls usually do. It's four more years of kickin' ass at volleyball for them. Not sure what Alondra Tapia will do. She has some agreement to play in V.League:

"Tapia Cruz agrees to play with a Japanese League contracting team during the 2023, 2024 and 2025 seasons under conditions to be discussed with their home federation"

but I don't think it's carved in stone

• Seiei was in ALL CAPS when I met it at volleybox. I always assumed it was the initials of something. Apparently not. Sorry Seiei :)

• Cruz will probably play somewhere, hopefully at one of the bigger clubs, but I mean she could work at Kurobe. Let alone if Sendai needs a “local” get her signed now.

• No direct quote but this vbm article says Iiyama says she plans to go to college

• Most Valuable Player Award

Alondra Tapia (Furukawa Gakuen)

Best Libero Award

Luna Kitajima (Furukawa Gakuen)

Outstanding Player Award

Alondra Tapia (Furukawa) MB

Akane Abe (Furukawa) OH

Ayane Kitamado (Seiei (SAGA)) MB/OP

Haruna Iwaki (Seiei) MB

Ayumu Harashima (Shin'ai Girls (NEC)) MB/OP

Amika Tokumoto (Kinrankai (Hitachi)) Libero

[Best Smile Award]

Seiei *Sent to one team each for men and women enjoying the game

Source

• Final Stat Sheet

Japanese Source

• These things are always a little tough to decipher but this sounds like Tapia Cruz is going to university and then ...

After graduating from high school, she had a variety of choices: She could stay in Japan or return to her home country. Even so, she decided to go on to a Japanese university. I still want to learn many things in Japan. I want to be the best foreigner on a different team. I will do my best to improve my Japanese! I want to be the best foreigner in different teams. The great player who never spared no effort has set his sights on her next dream.

Yahoo

• Final Results and Awards

GOLD

Furukawa Gakuen :cup:

SILVER

Seiei

3rd Place

Shin’ai Girls

Kinrankai

5th Place

Kyoei Gakuen

Hachioji Jissen

Takamatsu Minami

Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku

Individual Awards

MVP

Alondra Tapia MB

Furukawa

Best 6

Akane Abe OH

Furukawa

Ayane Kitamado MB/OP

Seiei (Hisamitsu)

Haruna Iwaki MB

Seiei

Ayumu Harashima MB

Shin’ai Girls (NEC)

Amika Tokumoto L

Kinrankai

Alondra Tapia MB

Furukawa

Best Libero

Luna Kitajima

Furukawa

FINAL

Seiei

2–3

Furukawa

19 - 25, 25 - 22, 25 - 23, 17 - 25, 6 - 15

Semifinals

Kinrankai

1–3

Seiei

25 - 18, 24 - 26, 19 - 25, 20 - 25

Shin’ai Girls

0–3

Furukawa Gakuen

16 - 25, 18 - 25, 22 - 25

Quarterfinals

Kinrankai

2–1

Kyoei Gakuen

20 - 25, 25 - 23, 25 - 14

Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku

1–2

Furukawa Gakuen

17 - 25, 25 - 15, 15 - 25

Shin’ai Girls

2–0

Takamatsu Minami

25 - 20, 25 - 17

Seiei

2–0

Hachioji Jissen

25 - 22, 25 - 21

• Yahoo says Emily Iiyama is going to Tokai Mermaids along with Higashi setter Mirei Samura and MB Mei Kato

• That’s huge. Mei Kato is also good!

I wonder what position she will play, MB or OP? Tokai's got that 1st year (169cm) OP Urara Yamamoto who won the Spiker Award, and two good OHs in Ameze and Haruko Sasaki, but their setter and libero graduated. That's gonna be a little blow to the system. I can't remember another setter ever coming on court for even a dub sub

• vbm says:

"Tapia was nominated for the best player award. Tapia said, "After graduating, I want to go to a Japanese university (the name of the university is undisclosed) and aim to obtain a physical education teacher's license, while also playing for the Dominican Republic national team." Kumagai and Abe are also planning to go to the same university, so he said with a smile, "I'm looking forward to seeing you at university."

• vbm says:

"Tapia was nominated for the best player award. Tapia said, "After graduating, I want to go to a Japanese university (the name of the university is undisclosed) and aim to obtain a physical education teacher's license, while also playing for the Dominican Republic national team." Kumagai and Abe are also planning to go to the same university, so he said with a smile, "I'm looking forward to seeing you at university."

Great idea, but is she going to be playing in the summer while in school? Let alone flying all over the planet from Japan.

Waseda has sports sciences for undergrad, but if they really want to be teaching, Kanoya (city of the Nittaidai) would be it

• Great idea, but is she going to be playing in the summer while in school? Let alone flying all over the planet from Japan.

Waseda has sports sciences for undergrad, but if they really want to be teaching, Kanoya (city of the Nittaidai) would be it

I don't know how the Uni calendar works . We have "summer vacation". It seems Japan is different where the school year starts in April, right? She could play Spring Uni-league, gosh knows what she does over the summer with DOM NT, which would likely also butt into Autumn League , but she should be okay for All-Japan in December

I was thinking NIFS or NSSU. Not familiar with Waseda

• Waseda is basically a Japanese Ivy League School, but they have a sports science campus out in the suburbs of Saitama in Koteshi, and this is where Araki is going for her Masters degree.

• There appears to be a bit of a kerfuffle about Shujitsu getting pulled from the tournament

Shujitsu's [chance for] three consecutive championships in the Spring High School Volleyball Tournament were destroyed by "stubborn refusal to present test results".

On January 5, the first game of the 75th All Japan Volleyball High School Championships, Shujitsu High School was forced to sit out the tournament after testing "positive" for the new type of coronavirus antigen. However, later, the results of a PCR test conducted by the school at its own hospital revealed that the player in question had tested "negative".

Yahoo

Director Nishihata appealed to us as follows:

They are not the kind of players who would let something like this stop them from moving forward," she said. But I still have some regrets. Some people say that we are 'spoiled because we couldn't make it to the tournament', but if the inspection had been conducted in a legitimate manner, we would have been satisfied and returned to Okayama. We are by no means trying to pick a fight with the Spring High School Volleyball Office.

The players' lives are on the line, and the Office has done something that has caused them emotional trauma. If the Spring High School Volleyball Office does not take this opportunity to change, we will not be rewarded for what has happened this time

• There appears to be a bit of a kerfuffle about Shujitsu getting pulled from the tournament

On January 5, the first game of the 75th All Japan Volleyball High School Championships, Shujitsu High School was forced to sit out the tournament after testing "positive" for the new type of coronavirus antigen. However, later, the results of a PCR test conducted by the school at its own hospital revealed that the player in question had tested "negative".

Yahoo

basically if you get tested the day before the tournament and you test positive, if you have an early game, you are stuck and eliminated. I don’t care at this point, well the second test was negative.

Japan is really one of the least risk averse countries in the world and if you can’t see that within your own country, I don’t know what to tell you.

• Japan is really one of the least risk averse countries in the world and if you can’t see that within your own country, I don’t know what to tell you.

that switch to second person confuses me ?(

but "Japan is really one of the least risk averse countries in the world" ... really? They seem scared of everything :/

I think the kerfuffle is less about "You should have let us play after the negative results" ... argument, and more about how the Office has/had communicated with the team. In that article the journalist lays out how many times they have asked for comment and the Office has played sneaky and evasive--which , to me , means their ducks are not in a row

But , I guess , it's hard not to think about this without thinking Shujitsu should have been given (was asking for?) special treatment--a second chance-- because they were reigning champions? Which isn't right. But given the stakes ... and you know how much this tournament means to these kids ... I would think a positive antigen test would immediately require a PCR test. I can't tell if that's Shujitsu's point in all this tho

Bottom line: Poor Shujitsu :white: They win the damn thing twice with no spectators and then this ;(

Watching Shujitsu hold hands, swing their arms and sing their school song to an empty arena after winning the damn thing was the saddest thing I've seen in volleyball