Germany NT 2023

• By the way...

How can they qualify for the Olympics?

I mean both, the national team and Ludwig/Lippmann?

I'll just interpret the national team in terms of volleyball and Lippmann/Ludwig in terms of beach volleyball. So let's start with volleyball. There are two ways to qualify. The first option is the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments. The German team is in Group C with Poland, Italy, United States, Thailand, Colombia, South Korea and Slovenia. Since only the best two teams qualify, it will be very difficult. There are two more tournaments in total, which means that six teams qualify via the qualifying tournaments and the French team is qualified as hosts anyway. The remaining five places are awarded via the world rankings.

In beach volleyball, on the other hand, there is one big option and several small options. A total of 17 teams can qualify via the FIBV Olympic ranking. This list is based on a team's top twelve results in FIBV events, achieved between January 1, 2023 and June 10, 2024. You can also qualify as this year's world champion. And after June 10, 2024 and the associated clarity as to which teams have qualified via the ranking list, there will be one more qualifying tournament per continent, where the winner will qualify.

• The remaining five places are awarded via the world rankings.

One spot will go to an African country. So only the top 10 teams (or fewer if there are upsets in the qualification tournaments) from the world rankings will qualify (+ France + African team).

Germany would need a miracle to make it I think considering the current rankings:

7 Poland 315.55
    8 Japan 304.17
    9 Netherlands 286.85
    10 Dominican Republic 286.36
    11 Canada 246.95
    12 Germany 222.30
    13 Belgium 217.33

https://en.volleyballworld.com…yball/world-ranking/women

They would need to reach either 2nd place in the Q tournament with Poland, USA and Italy or win (almost) all matches in VNL 2024.

• Dresden announced that Sarah Straube is preparing for OQT with NT. No word about Jennifer Janiska and I seriously don't have any hope that either she or Drewniok will eventually be there. I guess Heynen will take 3 setters eventually just to be able to get 14 players in the line-up, but with the remaining set of OH/OPP players we might as well just stay at home :gone: The only hope is that maybe Emonts reached an acceptable shape since the end of ECH...

• I don't see Janiska's chances as high either. But you can still argue that the Dresdner SC doesn't mention her so that she or she together with the DVV can announce her return. And in principle such an announcement would only make sense shortly before the final nomination, because Janiska might not be nominated for a variety of reasons.

• I don't see Janiska's chances as high either. But you can still argue that the Dresdner SC doesn't mention her so that she or she together with the DVV can announce her return. And in principle such an announcement would only make sense shortly before the final nomination, because Janiska might not be nominated for a variety of reasons.

In Rett Larson's latest posts (which seem from the last days) there is no trace of any player except the ones who played ECH unfortunately.

• I actually wanted to add a note to my post. Because Dresden is in the Czech Republic from today to Sunday and is taking part in a test tournament there. When Janiska plays there, she is of course not with the national team. But unfortunately there are no pictures for this test so far.

• I actually wanted to add a note to my post. Because Dresden is in the Czech Republic from today to Sunday and is taking part in a test tournament there. When Janiska plays there, she is of course not with the national team. But unfortunately there are no pictures for this test so far.

Waibl posted a picture of their firsf match and Janiska is definitely with the team. So no return to the NT...

• Yeah that confused me as well. But if so...who will then be the 2nd setter? Corinna Glaab is in Stuttgart...

Especially since, as Matthias writes, according to Rett Larson, she (Sarah) was actually already in Kienbaum. That somehow doesn't make that much sense. But I also don't understand why Hesper is with Dresner SC now and not with her national team, but that doesn't belong in this thread.

• Especially since, as Matthias writes, according to Rett Larson, she (Sarah) was actually already in Kienbaum. That somehow doesn't make that much sense. But I also don't understand why Hesper is with Dresner SC now and not with her national team, but that doesn't belong in this thread.

I guess Marring's recovery goes well so Hester Jasper isn't required to play OQT.

I also just saw that Glaab played a tournament with Stuttgart this weekend, which raises the question who will be the 14th player in NT if there aren't 3 setters. Going with less than 14 players would be embarassing!

• The new presidency of the DVV pointed out that the full-time positions within the DVV needed to be filled, and last week advertisements for all vacancies were posted online. A director of competitive sports/sports director is being sought, as well as two leading national coaches, one for the female and one for the male area. Here you should perhaps not allow yourself to be misled too much by the term national coach. Because the two leading national coaches will be the successors of Christian Dünnes, as I understand it.

• I also just saw that Glaab played a tournament with Stuttgart this weekend, which raises the question who will be the 14th player in NT if there aren't 3 setters. Going with less than 14 players would be embarassing!

Maybe Heynen will take Hannah with as a third setter alongside the two Pias? At least Hannah was in the extended roster and was in Schwerin with Pia Fernau last week and maybe then in Kienbaum together?

• Does it mean that Drewniok is part of the nt now or she just prepare to club season? She is not on FIVB list for qualies so…

She is on the roster on FIVB website so she'll play OQT.

Looks like German roster will be:
    Kästner, Straube

Drewniok, Maase

Stigrot, Alsmeier, Emonts, Stautz

Schölzel, Weitzel, Strubbe, Cekulaev

Pogany, Cesar

• DVV officially confirmed that Drewniok will play OQT. However she emphasizes that it's not a general comeback to NT, it's just for this tournament and in the future she'll consider what to do but her focus will be on club season.

• Indeed:

https://www.volleyball-verband…quali-frauen-nominierung/

Germany's first match is against (Asian champion) Thailand on Sat. 16. September, 14:30