S.Korea - 2023-2024 V-League (Women)

• Cho Song Hwa lost the 2nd trial against the club regarding her leaving the club without permission (source)

She said it was for treatment which she informed the club and visited the hospital with a trainer, but club said she left without permission

Honestly I think she's just a sacrificial lamb amidst the IBK drama of the players deposing their previous coach, making Kim Sanee the new coach before all the other club's coaches refused to shake her hand, and then Kim Hochul joining

She posted on IG
    "Now it's really the end. Goodbye to contradictory people too"

Guess she's ending her volleyball career? Don't know if she'll play in unemployment league...

Doubt she would want to (or can?) advance overseas like LDY did

• She's been lackluster in IBK and was only "great" when she played for Pink Spiders. Hardly a loss to KOVO but still this drama with IBK is crazy to me.

• Agree with both comments about her, but she could've still been a backup setter in v-league and made a decent living

The whole situation and lack of transparency in the league is what's bothering

Its hard to tell the truth since Park Mihee did once say in a past interview that Songhwa did leave the club without permission before - but I'm certain many other players have before as well due to the stress, retired players have admitted to it and talked about how often it happened too

If she indeed visited a hospital with a trainer... how would it have been without permission🤔

• In another crazy turn of events, it seems Soraya will no longer play with GS Caltex, and instead got Iris Janelle Tonelada from the Philippines for the Asian Quarter player.

There are now 2 Filipino players in the league (which I like) but this constant change with GS Caltex is just plain stupid/embarrassing. Even fans are questioning why GS Caltex does not even explain the reason for the constant changes formally (although we know it's because of Ahn Hye Jin).

• There are now 2 Filipino players in the league (which I like) but this constant change with GS Caltex is just plain stupid/embarrassing. Even fans are questioning why GS Caltex does not even explain the reason for the constant changes formally (although we know it's because of Ahn Hye Jin).

First change was due to Ahn Hyejin, to recruit another setter.

Second change was due to Soraya Pomra announcing that she would not be able to play volleyball in the 2023-2024 season due to personal circumstances (source) - assuming true

• In another crazy turn of events, it seems Soraya will no longer play with GS Caltex, and instead got Iris Janelle Tonelada from the Philippines for the Asian Quarter player.

There are now 2 Filipino players in the league (which I like) but this constant change with GS Caltex is just plain stupid/embarrassing. Even fans are questioning why GS Caltex does not even explain the reason for the constant changes formally (although we know it's because of Ahn Hye Jin).

....and where is Soraya going ?

Edit

( not to worry, I just read suminj’s post)

btw I’m trying to make a list of all Asian players playing outside their home country (including Korean players in other countries) I thought it would be interesting to post this in our Asian Women’s VB updates....thread

Sometime ago you mentioned a few players in the Korean League, Megawati etc... but I didn’t record it that time. Would be great if you know of other players in other countries as well... the list might look like this:

Playing in KOREA. From Club. Position

iris Janelle Tonelada. Philippines. GS Caltex. Setter

Megawati. Indonesia

etc

Thanks

:)

• Sure ;) I think we updated it on page 1 regarding the first draft. Will comment on the new thread. So far for Korea only Lee Dayeong is playing outside (France).

• Just finished KGC vs. Hillstate match. So far, very predictable results. But Yeum's sets for KGC is really bad. For NT we know she's not the best but I would think in club she'd be at least better. But in this match her sets are low and too close to the net. Wish their coach allow other players to play here instead (Chaena was OK when subbed).

• The Dodram Cup has officially started! Hi-Pass vs. Peppers are playing right now.

I'm on a learning curve here...:aww:

is the Dodram Cup ... another name for the V league?

I googled it and all I got was " Dodram V-League"

Edit:

It’s also called the KOVO Cup ? I thought that was a different competition which sometimes include one or two teams from overseas.

• Hello! Basically, the Dodram Cup and KOVO Cup are the same, which are held before the V-League, and most teams use this time to test their players (usually the younger ones). In the Dodram/KOVO Cup, usually, they don't allow foreign players to play (there are some editions that foreigners do play but not these past seasons). They also invite foreign teams to play in the Dodram Cup, this time Supreme Chonburi from Thailand and Panasonic Panthers from Japan will play for this edition. This is similar to the PVL Invitational Conference happening in the Philippines right now where a Japanese team is playing. There's a cash prize involved for the winners of the Dodram Cup (I believe it's 50 million won), and it usually only lasts 2 weeks. The Regular season V-league will start in October.

• Hello! Basically, the Dodram Cup and KOVO Cup are the same, which are held before the V-League, and most teams use this time to test their players (usually the younger ones). In the Dodram/KOVO Cup, usually, they don't allow foreign players to play (there are some editions that foreigners do play but not these past seasons). They also invite foreign teams to play in the Dodram Cup, this time Supreme Chonburi from Thailand and Panasonic Panthers from Japan will play for this edition. This is similar to the PVL Invitational Conference happening in the Philippines right now where a Japanese team is playing. There's a cash prize involved for the winners of the Dodram Cup (I believe it's 50 million won), and it usually only lasts 2 weeks. The Regular season V-league will start in October.

:) Thanks....this info is really helpful ! :thumbup:

• Dodram = Sponsor of the competition

KOVO = Korea Volleyball

So it's Dodram's KOVO Cup

If the sponsor changes the name will change too

This year it is Gumi Dodram KOVO Cup

Gumi is the city/state in Korea that's hosting this cup while also sponsoring it

In the Dodram/KOVO Cup, usually, they don't allow foreign players to play (there are some editions that foreigners do play but not these past seasons).

I'm not sure if they're not allowed or if its just because its taking place too early before foreign players end their international competitions/get their visas in time or get to train with the team...