2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• So, i am joining the show :super:

So far, there doesn`t seem to be any problems for Germany, leading 2:0.( -20,-13). Lets go on like this.

Bulgaria is leading 2:0 vs Cyprus as well.

• Good start for Germany. They are winning quite comfortable 3:0

http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…hStatistics.aspx?ID=26239

Bulgaria is winning 3:0 as well vs Cyprus. Looks like they had fun serving in third set. 25:5 :white:

http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…hStatistics.aspx?ID=26220

• Netherlands playing impressive so far - http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/li…c-netherlands/149910.html

• France is winning 3:1 vs. Belorus (25:18, 25:23, 22:25, 25:22)
    just watched the end of fourth set and France really had to fight hard. Belorus with chances to equalize at 22-23. The french players looked veeeery relieved and happy after the match.

• Turkey wins 3:0 vs. Estonia by coming from 23:24 in third. Three kill blocks in a row :box:

• Guys, I don't follow men's volley closely....

What to say about Dutch victory over Czech Republic ???

At least I myself didn't expect this at all... :P :P

• I still think CEV/FIVB made a piece of stupidity setting the European qualifiers early in January, months after/before the NT season, but the level of volleyball I watched today was not bad at all. Spain vs. Belgium and Finland vs. Ukraine are quite decent games, for example. Perhaps the favourites started a bit slower. Bulgaria played just enough to beat Cyprus fast, in the third set the Cypriots couldn't handle Georgi Bratoev and Skrimov's floats, Bulgaria early made a huge advantage and Cyprus just gave up. I couldn't follow the Netherlands vs. Czech Rep., but I am happy that Netherlands is slowly finding their way to the top European teams again. I am saying this in comparison to the reverse score (1-3, I think) in their game vs. the Czechs in Varna for the WCH2010 qualies. It's a positive sign, but cant't say it would be enough to stop Bulgaria. As a Bulgarian, I hope not :) We have an impressive recent score history versus the Dutch, I hope it continues. Czech Rep. seems to have not improved after the terrible Euro Champ.

I am almost sure there will be a surprise in these qualies, I hope it won't come from Opava :) Slovakia seems like a decent WCH candidate based on what I see in the Finland vs. Ukraine match. Sivula has been playing awfully lately, can't understand the decision to use him as a starter in the NT as well, Finland will have trouble against Slovakia.

• Guys, I don't follow men's volley closely....

What to say about Dutch victory over Czech Republic ???

At least I myself didn't expect this at all... :P :P

Solid victory by Dutch team.
    In comparison to past EC-campaign, Kooy replaced Maan on outside position and Koelewijn enters as a middle blocker in stead of Bontje.
    Especially, the reappearance of Kooy is important, I think: he can dominate a game in attack. He's in better shape than Rauwerdink and Maan.
    Maan is currently out due to a back injury. But I think his best years are behind him.

I think the Dutch team has been underperforming in the last years if you consider the amount of talented players they have.
    So I expect them to perform better in the short term: the decisive game against Bulgaria tomorrow should be interesting.

• Belgium wins 3-0 against Spain:

this score is what was hoped for, but still not very convincing:

• Derkoningen (current libero, because Dejonckheere is injured): performed very insecure in serve reception trhoughout the match. If he doesn't improve in the coming cames, we cannot win against Belarus or France.
    • Van de Voorde didn't play, because he's recovering from a flu. He will play probably tomorrow, but still not ideal circumstances. I consider him vital in Belgian block defence.
    • Van den Dries only started scoring from the second set, while Verhanneman stopped scoring in attack once half way the game.
    • Depestele mentioned he still lacks power in serve - usually a big weapon for the Belgian Team.

I had higher expectations of the Spanish team:
    still, nice to see reappearance of Israel Rodriguez in the team.
    Villena entered half way the game, but lacked consistency.
    Some nice defensive plays by Oscar Rodriguez.

• Thanks, guys. for your answers :flower:

• I am almost sure there will be a surprise in these qualies, I hope it won't come from Opava :) Slovakia seems like a decent WCH candidate based on what I see in the Finland vs. Ukraine match. Sivula has been playing awfully lately, can't understand the decision to use him as a starter in the NT as well, Finland will have trouble against Slovakia.

I have to disagree with YavorD on Sivula. He's clear starting opp since Mikko Oivanen couldn't get out of China. And he played well today. Though I have to agree that SVK is tough opponent on Sunday.

Here are Finnish stats from FIN-UKR game:
    Urpo Sivula 23/+10 (att 20/43, 2 blks)
    Antti Siltala 10/+4 (att 7/22, receive 44%, 2 torj, 1 ässä)
    Olli Kunnari 13/+3 (att 11/25, receive 69%, 2 blks)
    Matti Oivanen 9/+4 (att 6/9, 2 blks, 1 ace)
    Jukka Lehtonen 13/+11 (att 9/14, 4 blks)
    Mikko Esko 4/+4 (att 3/4, 1 blk)
    Lauri Kerminen (lib.) (receiving positives 61%)

• My personal schedule for today will be:

15.30 Germany vs. Estonia
    Given yesterdays results, a victory by Germany should be expected. It is big advantage, that Grozer seems to be in better shape than during euros.

15.30 Bulgaria vs. Netherlands
    Surly the match of the day. Bulgaria is favourite, but the Netherlands played quite well yesterday. If Netherlands will win, they are through. I hope that Germany doesn't struggle and that i can switch over to that match. How is the mood, my Bulgarian friends? :wavy:

17.00 France vs. Spain
    I am curious if France can play better than yesterday against Belarus. From what i saw, it wasn't too convincing.

Let the games begin :super:

• Sivula played solid yday but have you watched him in CL or in Turkish league? Tragic performances, junior Gokgoz played as OPP.

• I have to correct myself :S
    Germany vs. Estonia starts of course at 17.00 CET. Thats even better, as i can watch both matches.......

• Bulgaria is leading 2:0, second 27:25 to Bulgaria. Netherlands is serving ace or out and from the middle of second set they were successful and managed to take Sokolov out of match. If they can maintain that level in servive they still might stand a chance.

• what a mistake by referee :wall: Salparov setting from front row and Bratoev taking the second ball......

• COngratulations to Bulgaria :flower: :flower:

This is the result I expected. Only in 2nd set, it was a match.

• Deserved victory for Bulgaria. Big blocking show :thumbup: . Physically, Bulagaria were all over the Dutch.
    That was good old men's volleyball. No floats, hardly any tipping of ball. Not very pleasant to watch for a neutral, but anyway......

• C'mon Spain!

After poor first set, they took the edge in the second. Rouzier substituted for Sibidé on French site.
    Now France took over the lead 20-16, mainly thanks to N'Gapeth (serve and attack).

• C'mon Spain!

After poor first set, they took the edge in the second. Rouzier substituted for Sibidé on French site.
    Now France took over the lead 20-16, mainly thanks to N'Gapeth (serve and attack).

Ok, Spanish team totally fell apart in second set after 15-15 in score.
    French team recovered pretty quickly after difficult start: I like Toniutti's distribution, Lyneel secure play and smart attacking, Leroux dominance in the middle.
    Let's see if they can stretch their dominance until the end of the game.