Champions’ League 2007/08

• This game for 3rd is really turning out to be good! Too bad these teams aren't in the final though....(don't like the ones in the final)
    Place your bets for the 5th set!

• Matthias, is Jaqueline's injury severe? :white:
    She had so many problems with her knee that it's even sad...

• Well, what an inexplicable match.... I rooted for Murcia but damn coach made everything for his team to lose... really can't understand him, substituting Glinka, leading 2-1 ad 14-8. He wanted to give her rest, so the 4th set ended 27-25 in favour of Novara. Plus Jaqueline's injury and Fofao's accident in the fourth set played a great role, especially Jaqueline, 'caus # 8, who subbed Jaque is so weak for this level.... However, I'm not that sad, because I'm happy for Skowronska)))
    Lothie,in case you want to know my opinion regarding Jaq's injury, well, it's hard to judge but she was crying and had painful face, however, I think she'll recover till OG ;)

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• last 2 year's champions came from Azerrail's group
    So,next cahmpion will be Odintsovo

• last 2 year's champions came from Azerrail's group
    So,next cahmpion will be Odintsovo

But not for this time ;)
    Perugia3-1Odinstovo.Perugia played very good,especially Francia and Gioli

MVP: Simona Gioli (Colussi PERUGIA) :thumbsup:
    Best scorer: Katarzyna Skowronska-Dolata (Asystel NOVARA)
    Best setter: Helia Souza (Grupo 2002 MURCIA)
    Best spiker: Mirka Francia (Colussi PERUGIA) :thumbsup:
    Best libero: Paola Cardullo (Asystel NOVARA)
    Best server: Zhanna Pronicheva (Zarechie ODINTSOVO)
    Best receiver: Natasa Osmokrovic (Asystel NOVARA)
    Best blocker: Marisa Fernandez (Grupo 2002 MURCIA)

• Perugia is new ECL champion. Congratlations to the Italians, they deserved this victory.

Zarechie - Perugia 1:3 (15:25, 21:25, 25:18, 14:25) statistics

In my opinion it was the worst ECL final I've ever seen. Zarechie just didn't exist on court, comitting countless errors (29!!! in total) one after another. I could explain somehow if the team consisted of young girls but c'mon Zhukova, Sokolova, Safronova, Merkulova, Pronicheva - they are all quite experinced ladies.... Well, it was very sad to watch this match.... I can't explain what happened to Sokolova. No will, no fighting spirit, Zhukova making terrible sets, no reception, service errors, Perugia had nothing to do but to own Russian team. I'm so ashamed by peformance of Zarechie. If I knew Russian team would be playing this way in final, I' d root for Murcia. Murcia would have shown far more better volleyball. What for to enter final? To be owned in that way? Lose two matches and come back home as quick as you can.
    Bravo Simona, I'm amazed by this player since ECL final, when Perugia lost to Tenerife. Very solid player, she is really Terminator. :) Franchia is good as usual, but in this particular match she could have played better I think, however what for to strain yourself if there's no opposition from thr other side :) Plus good reception and defence, that's it, no stupid mistakes in defence. Italy showed to Russia again that height isn't an advantage.
    Considering Russian team. In my opinion Sokolova and Zhukova - two leaders failed this game. Sometimes it seemed Ljuba didn't want to play.. obvious technical mistakes in blocking.. uncharacteristic numerous errors in attack and in serve.... I can't explain it at all, really. Safronova showed good game yeaterday. Today she was playing like an amateur. Fateeva.... well, when you opposite showes 22% in attck, scoring 2 points...
    Well, that's it, this match isn't worth talking about at all.
    Match for the third place must have been the final one, because final match was a great dissapointment.
    I'd like to add that it's great result for Italy again. They are so dominant in European club volleyball that other countries should watch and learn!
    P.S. Shame on Sokolova :thumbdown:

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

Edited once, last by Nick ().

• I have to say I agree with everything Nick says. If Lyuba plays like this in Beijing Russia will not even reach semifinal :thumbdown:

And Zhukova, it is time for her to retire again. Her performance, especially in 4th set, was disastrous. I don't understand why Pankov did not try to let Matienko play.

Then Merkulova and Gorshkova, only height does not make a good player out of them. Merkulova at least had some good attacks, but Gorshkova is so embarassing to watch.

The only positive things for Zarechie were the performances of Pronicheva and in the end Kosheleva. She showed how to KILL the ball in the last set!

Perugia could have easily won in three sets but well, they needed one set off after the exhausting semifinal yesterday and two sets of very good play in the final. 4th set showed that they only saved energy to really destroy Zarechie in the end :thumbsup:

And about the awards, I think this year the choices were very well!

• Yeah, that was a terrible blackout. You don't have to make conclusions and to say something like "shame on Sokolova" and "time to retire for Zhukova". Such things sometimes may happen to any team or player. Anyway, I don't understand why coach didn't substituted them. I would replace them in the second set, when it become clearly, that these girls don't play at all.

After all, for me, the real final match was Perugia-Novara. Perugia deservedly won a title.

• I don't base my judgement ONLY on this match. I have seen several matches of Zarechie and Zhukova was not really good in any of them, and today was the negative peak of her recent performances. And Lyuba, I think she is far from what she is able to play. And it has been like that ever after WCH 06. If it were just a few matches where she does not show a good performance, ok that can happen, but it's the whole impression that I don't like. She looks not motivated, tired, exhausted, and as Nick said, I don't see the will to give everything to win.

• Well, Caprara isn't agree with you about Zhukova. He dreams to have her in Russian NT :lol:

As for Sokolova, she is just saving power before Olympic games. Stay tuned! ;) :D

• Saving powers for OG is not a reason to play bad before. If this really is her intention (and I don't think it is) it would be arrogant and unfair towards the teammates who try to give their best and want to win other tournaments...

• Saving powers for OG is not a reason to play bad before. If this really is her intention (and I don't think it is) it would be arrogant and unfair towards the teammates who try to give their best and want to win other tournaments...

I've put smiles there, don't get it too straightforward.

• sokolova may not have performed and played at 100% level but she still got 45% percentage in her attacks. plus the fact that sokolova should really reserve her energy and her skills for the olympics. there is the fear of injuries and others. and that is one thing we do not want to happen. i think artamonova was injured months before the olympics. i do hope there will be no more injuries for the russian players especially sokolova, godina, gamova and arta. russia is doomed if that happens.

the ones to be blamed are the three other hitters fateeva, safronova and gorchokova. their attack percentages are just terrible. caprara must really think a million times before bringing them to olympics. i do hope there are other possible players aside from fateeva and safronova.

• Congratulations to Perugia, Neli Marinova - Neshic plays there. She's setter and a former member of the Bulgarian women national volleyball team. Her husband is Dragan Neshic - the bulgarian headcoach of the women team. :)

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona