Continental Qualification Tournaments for OG 2008

• Venezuela beats Peru and qualifies for the OG ?(

How did that happen???

The answer is simply, Peru was tired, their international players injured and we dont have a youth or junior team complete here, even not a competitive club.Aniway, other reason of the defeat is the poor direction of Figueiredo, we really missed Aparicio in this season of volley. The serbian coach says that Peru in the WCH was a very difficult oponnent and now isn´t? well, it´s true because Peru loose style, technique of play in team and the only names of the international players cannot fix this easily.

ok ;( , congratulations for the venezuelas´team they maintainned a local base to join with their international players, is time for a new begin for Peru :S

• Venezuela beat Peru???.. :what: .. that may be their first win ever for Venezuela against Peru

It was a sure bet for Peru to get the ticket.......... oh well, Congratulations Venezuela, I read they have a very young and promising team. :thumbsup:

• So, both men and woman from Venezuela have qualified. Congratulations :thumbup:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Hello. Maybe Someone help Me and tell where I can find scores from this tournament? Thanks :sos:

• Hello. Maybe Someone help Me and tell where I can find scores from this tournament? Thanks :sos:

Well i just checked and couldnt find any updated results yet.
    As soon as somebody of us will get to know them, they will be updated here for sure.

So check here once in a while :wavy:

• African Qualification Tournament (Alger, Algeria)

Teams
    : Algeria, Cameroon, Kenya, South Africa, Senegal

Results:
    Algeria : Cameroon 3:0 (25:17, 25:18, 25:14)
    Kenya : Senegal 3:0 (25:14, 25:9, 25:16)

Next matches:

Algeria : Kenya
    Cameroon : South Africa

• Algeria - Kenya 3-0 (25-15, 25-21, 25-13)
    Cameroon - South Africa 3-0 (25-16, 25-23, 25-9)

Algeria 2 4
    Kenya 2 3
    Cameroon 2 3
    Senegal 1 1
    South Africa 1 1

Thursday 24 January
    South Africa vs. Kenya
    Algeria vs. Senegal

• Algeria to Beijing, Kenya second and Cameroon third
    After the Algerian Women’s Volleyball team clinched their first ever Olympic ticket following their straight victories in the African Olympic qualifications, Kenya won their last math over their compatriots Cameroon to get the second position leaving Cameroon in the third position. Senegal achieved their only victory over South Africa to end the 5 nations tournament in the fourth position leaving South Africa at the bottom of the table without a victory in the fifth and last day of the qualification tournament her at Blida, Algeria on Saturday.
    By the end of the competition Algeria won the tournament by the full record of 8 points from win- loss ratio of 4-0. Kenya came second with 7 points from 3-1 ratio and Cameroon third from 2-2. Senegal finished 4th with 5 points from 1-3 and South Africa 5th and last with 4 points from 0-4.
    Individual awards:
    • Most Valuable player MVP: Lydia Olumou (Algeria)
    • Best Digger: Nawal Mansuri (Algeria)
    • Best Reception: Milored Amoyi (Kenya)
    • Best Spiker: Faiza Tsabet (Algeria)
    • Best Blocker: Lydia Olumou (Algeria)
    • Best Server: Jane Wacu (Kenya)
    • Best setter: Fatima Okazi (Algeria)
    • Best Libero: Nawal Mansuri (Algeria)

• This is surprising -- I was quite sure that Kenya would win. But congrats to Algeria :D
    Is it their first OG?

• do you know any african good player who play in european clubs?

• Women’s World Olympic Qualification Tournament: Puerto Rico Women’s team to compete in May for a place in Beijing

Puerto Rico to compete in May for an Olympic spot
    Lausanne, 11 February 2008 – The FIVB has granted Puerto Rico Women’s team the place available in the Olympic World Qualification Tournament to be held in Tokyo from 17 to 25 May. Following the Continental Qualification Tournaments, the final place for this eight-team tournament was to be decided by a Playoff between Peru and Kenya, the teams ranked second in the South American and African Qualifiers, but both teams dropped their applications. Uruguay (third in the World Rankings for South America) wasn’t ready to apply, while Egypt (third in the World Rankings among African countries) has not played in any Continental Qualification Tournaments. In these circumstances, the FIVB has chosen Puerto Rico, the best Norceca team in the World Rankings after Dominican Republic.

Eight teams will compete in Tokyo for the last four places in the Olympic entry list: Japan (host country), Thailand, Korea, Kazakhstan (best-ranked teams in the Asian Continental Championship), Serbia, Poland (best world-ranked team from CEV), Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (best world-ranked teams from Norceca). The tournament also counts as the Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament, with the best three teams plus the best Asian team booking their tickets for Beijing.

After a vote during the Board of Administration in 1997, the FIVB has always followed the criteria of maintaining a good balance among the Continents in the Olympic entries, confirmed by a decision of the Board in 2003, taken before the Athens Olympic Games. The respected principle is to support the Continental quota in the Olympic Qualification process and not simply mirror the straight World Ranking list.

Once again NORCECA gets "wild card" by FIVB. The logical choice would be Netherlands (better ranking position, WGP champions..), but "in the name of good balance" Puerto Rico gets this undeserved prize.

Also, both Japan and Korea are a little more relieved not having such a strong team as Netherlands is, competing in Japan.
    :thumbdown: FIVB :thumbdown:

• Once again NORCECA gets "wild card" by FIVB. The logical choice would be Netherlands (better ranking position, WGP champions..), but "in the name of good balance" Puerto Rico gets this undeserved prize.

Also, both Japan and Korea are a little more relieved not having such a strong team as Netherlands is, competing in Japan.
    :thumbdown: FIVB :thumbdown:

Fully agree with you. Due to this "balance" we'll be forced to watch dull games on OG. Europe should have more free slots on every world tournament, because of the number of competitive teams here. Netherlands is not on OG. Still can't get used to that ;(

• Then bye bye Netherlands... :mad:
    I think they were very arrogant when they said they wouldn't compete on WGP08 due to have time to practice for the OG, but I really wanted them to be on the world qualify...
    Anyway, I don't think it was THAT unfair to put Puerto Rico instead of Dominican Republic... traded one Norceca team for another... if Dominican Republic hadn't given up, there wouldn't be a wildcard, so I think it was fair that they chose a team from the same area to replace, even if I prefered to see Netherlands there...

• Anyway, I don't think it was THAT unfair to put Puerto Rico instead of Dominican Republic... traded one Norceca team for another... if Dominican Republic hadn't given up, there wouldn't be a wildcard, so I think it was fair that they chose a team from the same area to replace, even if I prefered to see Netherlands there...

Lothie, it's unfair because both Dominican Rep AND Puerto Rico will go to Japan in May.
    At the beginning th manager of the Dominican Rep. said that they would not participate in the World Olympic qualification tournament, but lately they changed their mind. Puerto Rico is now being invited because the place asigned to Africa/SouthAmerica was vacancy.
    Not only is unfair because Netherlands is a much better team than Puerto Rico. Also Canada was the runner up in the Norceca tournament and ended up empty handed. :mad:

• Lothie, it's unfair because both Dominican Rep AND Puerto Rico will go to Japan in May.
    At the beginning th manager of the Dominican Rep. said that they would not participate in the World Olympic qualification tournament, but lately they changed their mind. Puerto Rico is now being invited because the place asigned to Africa/SouthAmerica was vacancy.
    Not only is unfair because Netherlands is a much better team than Puerto Rico. Also Canada was the runner up in the Norceca tournament and ended up empty handed. :mad:

I didn't know that Dominican Republic had taken back their previous decision... Then, I must agree with you all...
    FIVB: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: