all the 12 Olympic Teams finalized after Kazakhstan get the last ticket(Forward from FIVB)

• Tokyo, Japan, May 25, 2008 – The Women’s World Olympic Qualification Tournament concluded in Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium here on Sunday after Kazakhstan clinched the last of the four tickets available at the tournament and all the 12 teams to participate in the Beijing Olympic Games has now finally determined.
    The 12 teams, who booked their Olympic berths either through the 2007 World Cup or the Continental Qualification Tournaments except host China, are China (host country), Italy (1st World Cup), Brazil (2nd World Cup), USA (3rd World Cup), Algeria (Africa), Kazakhstan (Asia), Russia (Europe), Cuba (NORCECA), Venezuela (South America), Poland (1st WOQT), Serbia (2nd WOQT) and Japan (3rd WOQT). They are going to compete from August 9 to 23, 2008 in Beijing.

Serbia, Poland and Japan earned their tickets earlier in the tournament by finishing the top three. The ticket for Asia is finally settled after the second match of the day.

Korea, Thailand and Kazakhstan all had chances to book the last ticket to the Olympics before entering today’s match. The 11th ranked Koreans had the most edge with two wins and four defeats compared with 1-5 record for both Thailand and Kazakhstan. Due to the loss of Korea in the hands of Dominican Republic and the win by Kazakhstan over Thailand, the central Asians overtook the Thais and shared the same 2-5 record, the same as Korea. And Kazakhstan finally grabbed the ticket assigned to Asia to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games with better points ratio.

The round-robin tournament through May 17-25 doubles up as the Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament and so the best three teams plus the best Asian team (even if any of the best three teams are Asian) book their tickets to Beijing.

In the first match, the Dominican Republic stormed back to beat Korea 3-1 (17-25, 25-20, 25-19, 25-15) and picked their fourth win at the tournament against three defeats, but were not enough for them to enter the top three. Korea, who was beaten by another Asian rival Kazakhstan in straight sets, finished their tourney in the tournament with only two wins against five defeats.

“The main reason for our defeat the absence of four starting players because of injuries, said Korean head coach. Lee Jung-Chul. “Our level was inferior overall. We must practise more so as to raise the level of Korean Volleyball.”

Kazakhstan, 14th ranked in the world, recovered from the first set down to beat 18th ranked Thailand 3-1 in the second match. After losing the first set, the central Asians stormed back to take the next, beating Thailand 13-25, 25-18, 25-14, 25-21.

Kazakhstan, who lost the first five matches earlier at the tournament, rallied back to take two consecutive important matches, improving their win-loss record to 2-5, the same as Korea’s, which made their hope of qualifying for the Olympic come into true. Thailand dropped their record to 1-6, getting out of the contest for the Olympic ticket.
    “This is the happiest press conference as I learned that we can go to the Olympic Games, “ said Kazakhstan head coach Vikto Zhuravlev.

Poland ended their campaign in Tokyo with a high note. The Poles, who cruised back to win six consecutive matches after losing to Japan on the first day, again took it easy in facing the strong firepower from the Norceca team Puerto Rico. From the first set on, Poland never gave any chances to their rivals, leading to a 25-22, 25-22, 25-22 victory and improving their record to 6-1, sending Puerto Rico to the last finisher with 1-6.

“Our level is not high enough, but we achieved our goal to go to Beijing. Polish people expect we win an Olympic medal. It is not easy to say we can win a medal in the Olympics, but we will try our best” said the Polish highest scorer Katarzyna Skowronska.

World Championship Champion Serbia overcome a slow start to show off their awesome power in the last match of the day but had to push themselves before edging host Japan in a five set thriller in a match which delighted the full house. Japan played very impressive from the start, getting points with a combination of fast attack and tight defence. to take the first two sets 25-19, 25-21. But Serbia proved too much height and power for the Asian country, winning the next three sets with effective blocks 25-19, 25-19, 19-17. Serbia blocked a total 18 points and were back on the job in the tiebreak.

Serbia ended the tournament with a 6-1 win-loss record while Japan lost their unbeaten record to 6-1.

Serbia’s head coach Zoran Terzic said he liked to play against Japan, “because of the extra, extra atmosphere from the great fans. Japan make really spectacular Volleyball.”

Day seven results:

Dominican Republic vs. Korea 3-1 (17-25, 25-20, 25-19, 25-15)

Kazakhstan vs. Thailand 3-1 (13-25, 25-18, 25-14, 25-21)

Poland vs. Puerto Rico 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-22)

Japan vs. Serbia 2-3 (25-19, 25-21, 19-25, 19-25, 17-19)

Final standings: (two points for victory, one for loss)

1. Poland 13 points, 2. Serbia 13, 3. Japan 13, 4. Dominican Republic 11, 5. Kazakhstan 9, 6. Korea 9, 7. Thailand 8, 8. Puerto Rico 8

• So, my predictions were almost 100% confirmed.

The only exceptions were the qualification of Venezuela and Khazakstan rather than Peru and Korea.

The pools for the Olympic Games will be the following:

Pool A

China (host country)
    Cuba (3rd ranked team)
    USA (4th ranked team)
    Japan (8th ranked team)
    Poland (9th ranked team)
    Venezuela (29th ranked team)

Pool B

Brazil (1st ranked team)
    Italy (2nd ranked team)
    Russia (5th ranked team)
    Serbia (7th ranked team)
    Khazakstan (16th ranked team)
    Algeria (21st ranked team)

For me both pools are balanced, but Pool B is the death group!

• All strongest 4 teams from pool B should qualify without any problem ! More balanced is pool A - five teams will fight for 4 places in quarterfinals !

• Congrultation to Khazakstan :thumbsup:
    We are the Best! :lol:
    :drink: :drink: :drink:

• In my opinion, the matches that will be worth watching in the preliminary round are the following (in bold):

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
    chn ven chn polchn jpnchn usachn cub
    cub usa cub ven cub polcub jpnusa pol
    jpn polusa jpn usa ven pol ven jpn ven

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
    bra alg bra kaz bra srbbra rusbra ita
    ita rus ita alg ita kaz ita srb rus kaz
    srb kaz rus srb rus alg kaz alg srb alg

I don't know if this will be the order of the matches, I supposed that based on the World Rankings, the actual schedule might be very different from this one.

• Lausanne, June 10, 2008

The Drawing of Lots for the Men’s and Women's Olympic Volleyball Tournaments will take place in Beijing on Wednesday, June 11, from 2-4 p.m. local time.

Under the supervision of FIVB First Executive Vice-President Jizhong Wei, BOCOG will conduct the official draw.

The 12 qualified National Teams in each tournament will be divided equally into Pools A and B, with a serpentine system based on world ranking used to determine the composition of the Pools. The draw for the day by day calendar of matches will then follow.

The draw will take place in the Press Conference Room of the Capital Indoor Stadium, the main Volleyball venue during the Summer Games.

Authorities from the Chinese Volleyball Association and representatives from National Olympic Committees also will be present.

Hosts China, defending Olympic champions Brazil, Russia, Bulgaria, Egypt, Japan, Serbia, USA, Venezuela, Germany, Italy and Poland are the National Teams that make up the Men’s draw.

Hosts and defending Olympic champions China, Italy, Brazil, USA, Algeria, Kazakhstan, Russia, Cuba, Venezuela, Poland, Serbia and Japan make up the Women’s draw.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Im not jumping off my seat that Kazakhstan made it to the Olympics as this team plays more like a European-style. I want Korea to play in the Olympics to showcase what Asian Style is. Exceptional defense and quick plays.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)