Montreux 2010

• USA, Russia, China and Cuba qualify for semifinals at Montreux Volley Masters

Montreux, Switzerland, June 10, 2010. By the end of the third day of competition at the 2010 Montreux Volley Masters, the four teams that will compete in the semi-finals this Saturday are already known. In Group A Russia qualified after winning 3:0 against Germany. The United States are also automatically qualified, although they had a day off on Thursday. On the other hand, with still one day to go, Cuba and China will anyway share the first two positions in Group B.
    On the first game on schedule for Thursday afternoon, the Netherlands played Poland. Eight months ago they had played each other twice at the 2009 European Championship in Lodz (Poland), where the Dutch eventually claimed a couple of wins. The second match even allowed them to qualify for the title match, depriving the Polish from taking part in “their” final against Italy. Like in Poland, the Netherlands once again found a way to take advantage over their opponents (3:1). Even if the girls of coach Jerzy Matlak dominated during most of the game, the difference was made by the experience of the “Oranje”, in particular with a stellar Manon Flier (25 points). The Dutch captain was well assisted by Debby Stam and Alice Blom, who ended up the match with 15 and 16 points respectively.
    On the second match, Russia didn’t leave any opportunity to Germany. After being off on Tuesday, both the Russian and the German teams were playing their second match tonight. The “Mannschaft”, praiseworthy against the USA, knew that with Russia they were playing a difficult game and that they had to win in order to eventually qualify for the semi-finals. The Germans started strong in every set, following the tactical instructions of their coach, Giovanni Guidetti. The first set remained very balanced until the second technical time-out (16:15), but Goncharova and her teammates scored some decisive points and closed the game 25-21. The following set was almost a copy-paste from the first one, finishing on the exact same score. The Russian defensive game has notably improved from the past years; the players are moving much better despite their impressive height. The last set also finished 25-21. Coach Guidetti had predicted before the game: “If we respect our tactic, we’ll win 3:0; otherwise we’ll be defeated 3:0.” He was right!
    At the end of the evening, the spectators present in Montreux assisted to the first match of the competition where both teams had to battle during five sets before knowing the final winner. Cuba and China offered a fantastic show, where the long suspense and the numerous spectacular points took several times the breath away to the many Swiss fans. At the very end, the Cubans overcame the Chinese 3:2. Although China decided to let their star Yimei Wang play, Cuba was able to find some extra energy in order to win this last decisive set. During that game, the young Cuban generation displayed all its capacities, in particular its powerful offense. Being only 18 years old, Giselle Silva was the best scorer with 21 points, mixing impressive and precise kills with extremely powerful serves. Despite their first defeat in this tournament, the Chinese, with their magical combinations, are nevertheless qualified for the semi-finals, along with Cuba.

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Cuba leading 2 sets against Poland.

Poland is playing very well only to lose steam on the last few parts of each sets! :wall:

But what's nice about Poland is that despite being a young team, they are doing great especially their Middle hitters. I could not hide my excitement, these middle hitters are doing exceptional against Cuba... Now...if they just could only find Glinka the 2nd. I think Kosek though is doing okay. :thumbsup:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• deja vu :wavy:
    we keep lossing tight set in thgis tournament but i think it's quite normal with such a young and unexperience team they are playing well though. really nice surprice i didn't expect that this team will play so well. good job girls but now it would be good to win a match to build up a confidence :) nice play by Okuniewska :) knew she has great potential and it's only matter of days/months she will show it all :P

big shocker from Japan. priceless win over Germany. they have new team i don't know most of the names but it's good they are showing some nice volleyball

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Germany is playing so embarassing in this tournament :thumbdown: Of course Guidetti says we are not there to win matches but to try things and see new players, but the same is true for the other teams and none of them is this bad. I really can't stand our outside hitters, today they couldn't even get past the Japanese block :white: And even our best OHs Beier and Brinker are worse than the most OHs on other teams' benches :down:
    The only positive things are the performances of Lenka Dürr and Corina Ssuschke, and also Anja Brandt has some good scenes.

• Germany is playing so embarassing in this tournament :thumbdown: Of course Guidetti says we are not there to win matches but to try things and see new players, but the same is true for the other teams and none of them is this bad. I really can't stand our outside hitters, today they couldn't even get past the Japanese block :white: And even our best OHs Beier and Brinker are worse than the most OHs on other teams' benches :down:
    The only positive things are the performances of Lenka Dürr and Corina Ssuschke, and also Anja Brandt has some good scenes.

But what is the solution for the OH?? Try Hippe as OH?? Schaus, Matthes and Grohmann are too weak.. i think that Brinker played well yesterday agaisnt Russia..but she played bad against USA...about Beier i don't like her, but she is with Brinker the best choise.

• Russia 3x1 USA (22-25, 25-13, 25-23, 25-18 )

Not so sad about this loss. Our girls played very well despite being a young team. They were leading in scores most of the time but could not sustain it.

Russia is a very good team. They will probably win this tournament. :thumbup:

Semis tomorrow will be exciting:

Russia vs China

Cuba vs USA

Should be fun to watch! Im rooting for a Russia-USA rematch on the finals. :|

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• But what is the solution for the OH?? Try Hippe as OH?? Schaus, Matthes and Grohmann are too weak.. i think that Brinker played well yesterday agaisnt Russia..but she played bad against USA...about Beier i don't like her, but she is with Brinker the best choise.

That's the problem, there are no good alternatives. Guidetti had two of the best OHs of our league, Lina Meyer and Tatjana Zautys, in training camp but he didn't take them to Montreux, probably because they're not so young any more :|

I have to say I am really impressed with Russian team. They play with so much joy and spirit and smile so much, so untypical for Russian players :D I just wonder how Gamova and Lyuba will fit in there...Startseva and Duskryadchenko are doing a very good job for the team too :thumbup:

• Goncharova and Kosheleva are so impressive!

• The final will be between Cuba and Russia. I think Russia will be the winner since they are more experience from cuba thanks to Goncharova.
    I wish that they are gonna play nice games today

• That's the problem, there are no good alternatives. Guidetti had two of the best OHs of our league, Lina Meyer and Tatjana Zautys, in training camp but he didn't take them to Montreux, probably because they're not so young any more :|

I have to say I am really impressed with Russian team. They play with so much joy and spirit and smile so much, so untypical for Russian players :D I just wonder how Gamova and Lyuba will fit in there...Startseva and Duskryadchenko are doing a very good job for the team too :thumbup:

So, what about Petrausch? (Her name is like this, am I right?)
    Isn't she OH?

• i bet Cuba would be the winner today.as usual they do on the court that will not have such a surprising result .on the other hand ,it's hard to say something between Russia and China .but we will likely to see the heavy hitter playing .not seeing her power for a long time :pinch:
    let's focus on the upcoming games!

• So, what about Petrausch? (Her name is like this, am I right?)
    Isn't she OH?

Yes she is, but she isn't good enough yet. She hit all balls into Japanese block yesterday.

After preliminary, five Russian players are in the top 10 of best diggers :rolll: I think this is the first time ever this happens. And Kosheleva best receiver of the tournament so far :what:

• where is the individual statistic mathias?

• you can find them here http://www.volleymasters.ch/statistic.php

Poland won tight set :woohoo: 1-0 go girls :super:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Poland-Japan 3:1 :drink: Very nice. Okuniewska 15 pts :) :thumbsup:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Germany needed two sets to wake up. The first two sets the leader was totally Netherland. The third sets was very good, long points with good receptions and less mistakes from the previous sets from both teams and germany played more aggressively and took the set. Final score 3-1 for Netherlands taking the fourth set in the details.
    I was little bit disappointed from Germany, i know that they have the younger team in this tournament just for try new methods and etc. but i expected more. :S

Well the other games are begging, semi finals seems to be great let's see what has Cuba to say :P :gone: