Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• But Gamova has no family and feels probably she doesnt sacriface anything, at least not that much as Liuba.

The reason Liuba wasnt playing in ECH was that Merkulova told her it was conflicts in the team and players that didnt get along during WGP. She didnt played in WGP because she dont like the format with so much travels to different countries.

It's completely understandable if she wants to spend time with her family. But it's a different thing with her issue with WGP. But then, she's Sokolova after all so I guess she can afford to pick her competitions. also, if she feels that nothing good will happen with the conflicts within the team, I think it's not yet too late to resolve that. During the tournament in ankara, the team showed their poor connection during their match with Poland but later with their next matches, we can see that they are slowly getting their rhythm back. Nevertheless, I still think Russia has a chance to make it to London although it will be much, much harder for them without Liuba. Best of luck to them :)

• Tomorrow starts South American OQT

Peru and chile are already training

• About Sokolova, I have big respect for her as player, but I've always disliked the kind of players who want to choose when they play in NT and when not. Of course it's OK to skip a tournament from time to time when you feel tired, especially for older players and those with family, but we are talking about Olympic Games!!! She could as well rest after WOQT, if she really wants the Gold medal she should sacrifice some more for it! I can imagine she relies on Ovchinnikov not having the guts for leaving her out of the team if they qualify, but actually I think this is what he should do! If she does not want to help the team to qualify, why should she receive the honour of playing in Olympics then? :thumbdown:

• Ovchinnikov seems to lack authority in players, specially with the veterans. Very much unlike Karpol.

• My thoughts about Sokolova, there is no rules u have to be in qualies, and when she is 35 she probably feels its not her answer to bear the lions share of the leadership, if they cant make it without her, then they dont deserve to be in OG either. She is old and cant play and travel as much as the others, and when the connection isnt 100% its yet another reason for her to not participate in qualies. BUT when its OG players like her with experience is needed, with all that she has done she has earned the right to play there as long she has the level. What would russian volley have been without Liuba? Not the same, and to stop her fullfil her dreams would be just cruel then.

Im also sure that when she dont play, she has good reasons, and its not that she is lazy or something. She should have helped in ECH for ex, if there wasnt any problems, so its hard to judge only her.

• Sokolova not playing in the WOQT is disappointing. Still, I can see her being included in the Olympic team if/when Russia qualifies. I think Ovchinnikov would still choose her for London and I would understand his decision.

It may not seem to be the fair thing to do. But if I put my feelings aside, I know there are bigger goals than "what is fair".

Once Russia qualifies, the goal for Ovchinnikov would be to send the team with the best chance of winning a medal in the Olympics. If he chooses Sokolova, I don't think it will be a matter of him not having a strong enough spine to cut her. And I don't think it will be a matter of Sokolova thinking she can put herself over the team and walk back into the court. I think it just comes down to who can produce the best results.

I said during the pro season that if Russia is have Olympic success this year, Sokolova will have to be crucial part of it. I just hope her absence doesn't remove that opportunity.

• Mari was cut out from the team that will play the competition, which starts tomorrow.
    Zé Roberto´s words: "She still needs to evolve. Some players are below the expected potential to play at the Olympic Games".
    Natália (OH), injuried, and Juciely (MB) were also cut from the final roster for the tournament. Brazil will play with 2 liberos and only 3 OHs.

More here (in Portuguese): http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/n…pre-olimpico-de-volei.htm

• Mari was cut out from the team that will play the competition, which starts tomorrow.
    Zé Roberto´s words: "She still needs to evolve. Some players are below the expected potential to play at the Olympic Games".
    Natália (OH), injuried, and Juciely (MB) were also cut from the final roster for the tournament. Brazil will play with 2 liberos and only 3 OHs.

More here (in Portuguese): http://olimpiadas.uol.com.br/n…pre-olimpico-de-volei.htm

@iuribessa
    Does this mean that Mari won't play at OG at all since she doesn't be in the roster for qualification tournament?

• Poor Wang get better soon.... :flower:

it takes her about 6-8 weeks to recover...and will be one month time before London OG.
    so she'd better be a good runner against tight schedule.

bless all the best for her twice attending the OG and probably the last time to see her in OG also.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Imo,Sokolova was best Russian player in Ankara.And if Russia qualify from Tokyo then its understandable(maybe not right ethically)Sokolova should be added to the roster.I would add her to the roster if i were Russian coach.

• the promotion order is very important

in 2004 Anthens OG, best asian team + top 3 teams system governs

1. japan --- best asian
    2. korea ---top 3 after japan
    3. russia---top 3 after japan
    4. italy --- top 3 after japan
    ----------------------------------------------

in 2008 Beijig OG, top 3 teams + Best asian team system follows.

1. poland ---- top 3
    2. serbia ---- top 3
    3. japan ----- top 3
    4. Dominican Republic
    5. Kazakhstan -----best asian team after top 3
    -----------------------------------------------

2012 London OG, its gonna follow the same promotion rule with 2008 Beijing OG

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• @iuribessa
    Does this mean that Mari won't play at OG at all since she doesn't be in the roster for qualification tournament?

I don´t think so. My guess is that she will be back at least to play the Grand Prix finals, even if it´s on the bench..
    It´s really hard to believe that she would be out of the OG. That would only happen if she is in really bad shape by then.

• I really don't know why they changed the rules. Now, it can happen in theory that four Asian teams qualify from this tournament. It was possible before, too, but now the chances are increased. They're still incredibly small, I know, but still.

why South Korea didnt qualify in 2008?

Because they lost to Kazakhstan. They didn't play well in that tournament.

• I don´t think so. My guess is that she will be back at least to play the Grand Prix finals, even if it´s on the bench..
    It´s really hard to believe that she would be out of the OG. That would only happen if she is in really bad shape by then.

Hope so. Without her, brazil NT will be a completely different team. Not sure for better or worse though. :P