Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• Kim Yeon-Koung is Asian superGamova!

Prediction Game :
    5th place - Olympic Games 2012
    Bronze - World Grand Prix 2012
    Gold - Liga Femenina de Baloncesto de España 2011-2012 (as "LV")
    Silver - EuroBasket Women 2011 (as "LAT")
    Gold - FIBA EuroLeague Women 2011 (as "LAT")

• After 4 matches, the situation is:

Japan 9 pts, next opponents: CUB, RUS, SRB
    Serbia 9 pts, next opponents: RUS, PER, JPN
    Korea 6 pts, next opponents: TPE, THA, PER
    Thailand 6 pts, next opponents: PER, KOR, CUB

2 of those 4 teams will be in top 3. Korea has the easiest opponents so I think they will make it. Japan and Serbia both meet Russia and each other, so it is very unlikely that both of them can be in top 3. Serbia has to beat Japan if they want to be in top 3 I think...Still a lot of things are possible, but Korea has the easiest road now.

• Serbia's letdown against Thailand may come back to bite them in the a**! :(

• The best scenario for Serbia is to beat Japan and have Russia beat Japan too.
    In that case, they're guaranteed a place in top 3.

Of course, they can go on to win the next 3 games and not depend on others, but I don't think it's really realistic.

• It could have been a different story for Serbia now if only they won that match against Thailand. If they only played like they did against Korea and Cuba...

• The best scenario for Serbia is to beat Japan and have Russia beat Japan too.
    In that case, they're guaranteed a place in top 3.

Of course, they can go on to win the next 3 games and not depend on others, but I don't think it's really realistic.

I think Japan has a slight edge over Russia because they're playing with their complete roster. But we'll see. Russia managed to win over Korea who beat Japan today.

• I think Japan has a slight edge over Russia because they're playing with their complete roster. But we'll see. Russia managed to win over Korea who beat Japan today.

Japan is also not complete, they miss two of their best MBs. Iwasaka is not good and her substitute is in NT for the first time I think. Japan did not look impressive at all in the previous matches and I think if Thailand had taken yesterday's match more seriously they could have had a chance to beat Japan as well...Russia seems in very good shape, I expect Gamova and Goncharova to shoot Japan off the court.

• The biggest match for the Serbia will be the Thailand vs. South Korea match. If South Korea wins, Thailand can only get to 12 points, Serbia and Japan would already be there with wins against Peru and Cuba respectively. South Korea would be at 12 with the wins over Taipei and Thailand.

Thailand would have to win and prey that the match doesn't go 5 for Serbia and Japan.

If they beat South Korea, then it is South Korea looking from the outside with the Serbia Japan match praying.

• wow Congratulations Korea :white:

• if both japan and Kore were in the top 3, would Thailand get the ticket to London + as best Asian team?

If Serbia loses to Japan and Russia, it doesn't matter if Korea or Thailand wins. Without surprises, they will both go to the Olympics.

• I think Russia,japan and Korea will get the tickets for London...

and thailand also...
    they have already met the possible stronger teams and holds 2 wins...but the remaining rivals are all in the same level or lower...

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Imo,Kim is Kim and Gamova is Gamova...there's no point in comparing Kim to Gamova..

totally agree...

kim yeon-koung and Gamova are in different positions with different support from their teammates following the completely different concepts.....
    they are not comparable, at least not in such a simple way of analysis.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• After 4 matches, the situation is:

2 of those 4 teams will be in top 3. Korea has the easiest opponents so I think they will make it. Japan and Serbia both meet Russia and each other, so it is very unlikely that both of them can be in top 3. Serbia has to beat Japan if they want to be in top 3 I think...Still a lot of things are possible, but Korea has the easiest road now.

I wish they could all go :(

• Any news about Starseva injury? What happened to her?

I haven't read anything official but from the photo on FIVB site it looks like maybe she got a ball in her face but that's just a guess. On Volleyrussia site was written that they talked to her and everything on her body is OK, so maybe it was just precaution that she did not return to the game today.

• totally agree...

kim yeon-koung and Gamova are in different positions with different support from their teammates following the completely different concepts.....
    they are not comparable, at least not in such a simple way of analysis.

i mean Kim's already been a famous player..She doesnt need to be compared to anyone...