Olympic Games - London 2012 Women (qualification process)

• Germany doesn't "deserve"anything. They had their chances at the WC and here and they didn't produce. The rules are already laid out with the highest ranked Norceca team going to the qualification tournament. It would make absolutely no sense for the FIVB to change that policy just so Germany could play.

I don't think it would be a shame to chang policy just to ensure that the best teams make it to the Olympics. Besides, Puerto Rico had its chance to qualify as well in a much easier situation and couldn't do it. FIVB is happy to put weak teams in though because that means they might get more Asian squads in the Olympics.

• We'd all like to see Europe gain more qualification spots but that debate has been hashed out 8 billion times and to suggest the FIVB would do it with the Olympics less than 100 days away is a waste of time.

• We'd all like to see Europe gain more qualification spots but that debate has been hashed out 8 billion times and to suggest the FIVB would do it with the Olympics less than 100 days away is a waste of time.

It's not a waste of time. Two qualifying teams bowed out. In this situation normally FIVB would give wild card.

• We've already went over this with the CAB/CSV position. It's the same situation here but with the NORCECA. If a team withdraws from the tournament their spot does not become available for the rest of the world. The spot goes to the highest ranking team from the region. If Cuba doesn't go, then you just go right down the list to Puerto Rico. It's quite simple.

I'm not saying it's the best rule or the rule I want but it is what is it.

• China and Japan aren't among the best teams. They are best teams of Asia. Because of this, at every competition having big effect to the rankings of FIVB, we always can see those kind of teams. I would say their levels are around of Europe and If those countries played their qualifications games in Europe, i am sure we wouldn't see them in every big competitions. If we look at the FIVB rankings we see just one European team at top 5. It doesn't make any sense to me.

• Without Cuba in Japan tournament, it smells good for Serbia or Russia :whistle:

• It is very logic. To put up volleyball level in London.

Ok, so let´s select the best teams for the Olympics and forget about the qualification processes.
    The rules exist for one reason and they are being applied correctly.

• Germany deserves another possibility...! european level is higher that NORCECA's...

European level is higher than any other continent´s level.
    I wanna understand WHY Germany deserves another possibility if they had their chance already in their own qualification and FAILED!
    Plus, they had another chance at the World Cup last year but FAILED too!
    Plus, they haven´t won anything important at least in the past 20 years, I don´t know why you all think Germany is such a great team if they have any important medal on any tournament (except for last year´s European Championship).

• The only actual thing for European confederation would be a victory (at least a medal) in London.
    No worth to have 9 or 10 European teams in OG. But strong ones, yes.
    And Italy could make it :super:

• And by the way, European teams didn´t even avance to the semi finals last Olympic games (Brazil, US, China and Cuba), and on Athens 2004 and Sydney 2000 only Russia avanced to the semifinals with two silver medals (China, Cuba, Russia, Brazil, US).
    So, why have so many European teams if they go and fail and lose to the americans and asians?

• Basically, all that happened is that Asia "took" a spot from South America, since China qualified directly from WC, while Brazil failed.
    So it means that we get to see Korea or Thailand instead of Argentina or Peru. I'd say it's a fair trade-off, as far as the quality is concerned.

• 3 asians... why? China is already there, and Japan might get another spot. I don´t know which one is the third one...

From the WQT, 3 best ranked teams qualify for the Olympics, plus the best ranked Asian team.
    Since Japan is likely to finish in top 3 anyway, it means that another Asian team gets the spot too, as it happened with Kazakhstan in 2008.

• From the WQT, 3 best ranked teams qualify for the Olympics, plus the best ranked Asian team.
    Since Japan is likely to finish in top 3 anyway, it means that another Asian team gets the spot too, as it happened with Kazakhstan in 2008.

Got it, thanks.

• Germany failed twice in OG 2012 qualifications. Elimination is hard, but ...
    It will be still harder for the team defeated in several hours ...
    Maybe England federation could do something :lol: ...
    Do we know all the teams (except CSV ones) of the Japan tournament ?
    Puerto Rico, Russia, Serbia, Japan, Korea, and .... ? :white: :white: :white:

• So ..
    If somebody can sum up the situation after the game Poland / Turkey, thanks :drink:

• In an ideal world I'd like to see Colombia upset Brazil and take the CSV spot just so we could see Montano and Pino in the Olympics :)