Russian NT 2012

• I agree with u guys what u already said, its sad but needed.

Remember Liuba have been playing for Russia NT in big competitions since Atlanta 1996, and its really time for young stars to take over now. This will be the first olympics since Barcelona 1992 Russia will play without Liuba, and I guess its best for the future to get used to not rely on Liuba and try to create new legends/leaders instead. I dont think it will affect their play too much either, with Goncharova in attack and Estes in backrow, its not a big difference I think.

Oh I think their game will suffer. They ended up 1st in the WQG because the other teams were weak or playing bad. They were the powerhouse so it was expected to win. As for Liuba I think ger presence is very important. Both Goncharova and Estes are not so good receivers. Liuba made the difference. She is a fantastic player.

• As for Liuba I think ger presence is very important. Both Goncharova and Estes are not so good receivers. Liuba made the difference

Estes is main Receiver in Uralochka for many years and results are very good.

Sad that Sokolova didn't does difference during 2008 Olympics.

• Well, then u know wrong because Gamova/Goncharova is not the only ones in the Russian squad that dont get along with each other I can say.

You can belive what u want, but what I heard from a very reliable source is that Tanya Kosheleva and Liuba didnt get along in Turkey because they both wanted each other to receive most. Tanya said she wanted to focus on attack because she was injured, but Liuba said she decided how it should be, and wasnt intrested at all, so Tanya had to do it no matter what problems she had.

It's really hard to believe in something like that! Bad attitude by Sokolova!!! :thumbdown:

And Russia needs a REAL COACH, that kind of thing is coach decision for god's sake!!! X( X( X( X( X( X(

• I would say that every Player should remember that has talent from God and without Him will be nothing so it means also that Coach with not big surname may be good but Players must have respect for Him not like I will work with Ze because He is famous but won't with Owcz because He hasn't big achievements so far. Everyone begins from zero.

• It's really hard to believe in something like that! Bad attitude by Sokolova!!! :thumbdown:

And Russia needs a REAL COACH, that kind of thing is coach decision for god's sake!!! X( X( X( X( X( X(

I agree, I dont understand the decision of the current coach, and many in Russia has the same opinion as you too.

About Sokolova, she is a very nice and polite person, but in Russia they think she is a drama queen. In other teams I guess the players can be very tolerant with that, but in Russia with Kosheleva, Goncharova, Gamova, u know all players that think they are the queen themself with much attitude..it will be impossible to avoid conflicts!

• I would say that every Player should remember that has talent from God and without Him will be nothing so it means also that Coach with not big surname may be good but Players must have respect for Him not like I will work with Ze because He is famous but won't with Owcz because He hasn't big achievements so far. Everyone begins from zero.

You make people respect you!

A coach should never let a player dictate the rules in a team! When you let that happen the respect from the players get lost, and not even the player that don't have surname gonna respect or obey you.

• If You thought a little, You would understand that if Coach let dictate rules by Sokolova She would play in NT.

• Sokolova? i don't need her :lol:

• Sokolova? i don't need her :lol:

too bad russia needs her.

but i'm so happy and so proud with artamonova. despite her age, what a fighter! regardless of her performance in this olympics, my respect for her has gone so high!!! a true athelete and leader!!! :obey: :love: :heart: :box:

if only sokolova would follow and emulate her... :thumbdown:

• Artamonova was a very loyal player for Uralochka (with Karpol), coming back and mostly spending her career life. That is dedication and loyallty.

She never had major issues with Karpol or with other players young and old. That is sportsmanship.

She was injured in Athens but remained in the team. That is a TRUE quality of a player.

She became MVP in 1997 and also on 2003 in WV Grand Prix. Big gap and she SUSTAINED. Spike percentage is very very high and she had a tremendous performance in Italian, Japanese and Russian clubs. A GREAT ATHLETE.

And now its 2012 ! She is the perfect balance of power, receiving and blocking. Even if she doesnt grace volleyball like Sokolova did... running different plays... She is FORMIDABLE, CONSISTENT and STILL POWERFUL as ever.

All Hail Evguenia ARTAMONOVA - Estes

• I've been watching Zhenya Artamonova playing for many years and IMO in her best days she was probably better player than Sokolova has ever been. I remember her playing for Reggio Calabria in 2001 and she destroyed Italian league that year. I think that Zhenya's best was pretty equal to Sokolova's best in reception (maybe just slightly worse) and way better in attack. Btw, Artamonova is a champion of Russia, Japan, Italy, Turkey, Switzerland - is there any other player with such international club success? But time takes its toll and Zhenya isn't that rock solid anymore. She had some very bad games in Russian superliga this year, even series of bad performances. And reception seems to crack more often. So I think everything will depend on physical conditions of Zhenya in London. In her best she still can compete at the highest level if not - Russia will struggle to find someone who could replace her.

• I just adore Estes!! I respect and love her very deeply :heart: :heart: She is absolutely one of the best, in top 3 :super: I hope she will perform well in Olympics even though I want to see Sokolova in Olympics as well..

By the way, if I am not wrong Estes won a European cup in 1999-2000 season with Eczacıbaşı.. :drink:

• I've been watching Zhenya Artamonova playing for many years and IMO in her best days she was probably better player than Sokolova has ever been. I remember her playing for Reggio Calabria in 2001 and she destroyed Italian league that year. I think that Zhenya's best was pretty equal to Sokolova's best in reception (maybe just slightly worse) and way better in attack. Btw, Artamonova is a champion of Russia, Japan, Italy, Turkey, Switzerland - is there any other player with such international club success? But time takes its toll and Zhenya isn't that rock solid anymore. She had some very bad games in Russian superliga this year, even series of bad performances. And reception seems to crack more often. So I think everything will depend on physical conditions of Zhenya in London. In her best she still can compete at the highest level if not - Russia will struggle to find someone who could replace her.

One thing I'd like to add: she had several very serious injuries during her career. From 2002-2004 she was often harmed by a chronical back injury (I think it was the reason why she almost never played during OG 2004), when that had become a bit better and she was playing in Switzerland, she suffered a serious knee injury and I think that was not her first one...considering all this, I find it admirable that she can play at all at the age of 37, and even more that she does it on such a high level. Of course her physical features are not even half of what they were around 2000, but her great technical abilities compensate for it.
    I just hope that in London she will be able to keep her level for the whole tournament, in WOQT it was obvious that her performance went down significantly in the last few matches.

• Its nice u mention the season Zhenya had in Italy, semisonic! I think the season she did there is one of the best performances of a female volleyball player ever. For detailed stats: http://www.legavolleyfemminile…000&Giornata=0&Squadra=RC

The numbers is pure magic:

20,8 points/game
    49,7% effectivity in attack
    67,2% prf. receptions in a total of 528 atts.

But still when u say "she was way better in attack than Liuba ever been", I think you go way too long. For me they was pretty equal in this aspect, but Estes a little bit better receiver. Liuba was a fantastic attacker. She had a very close season in attack too Zhenyas attacking numbers in Serie A when she in 2002/2003 had 49,2% in 18p/game. Also her attacking game in olympics 2004 and WCH 2006 was at a dream level, even better than legends like Gamova and Calderon. She has also Best scoring/Best spiker-titles in World Grand Prix, World Cup and Champions League over the years.

• Zhenya and Liuba are really very good players and Russia is very lucky to have such players at the same time. It's very hard to compare them. During the 90's and early 2000, Russia was very powerful. Stable reception, powerful attacks, good blocks, strong jump serves, and decent sets. They could have been at the top if not for Cuba.

Thanks for the comment.Can you give me some links where Arta was living the best days of her career? She came to Turkey buti dont remember her.Probably i was not a volleyball-lover or was too young in those days.

• Zhenya and Liuba are really very good players and Russia is very lucky to have such players at the same time. It's very hard to compare them. During the 90's and early 2000, Russia was very powerful. Stable reception, powerful attacks, good blocks, strong jump serves, and decent sets. They could have been at the top if not for Cuba.

Coud this(Russia's being too strong) be beacuse the other countries were too weak except one or two countries? If Arta and Luba were young what would Russia do now?