USA NT 2012

• Hugh McCutcheon and Lindsey Berg interview quotes

U.S. Women's National Volleyball Team Looking to Create a New Story

“We are very happy to be here,” U.S. Olympic Women’s Volleyball Team Head Coach Hugh McCutcheon (Christchurch, New Zealand) said. “We feel like our preparation has been pretty solid and certainly hope that our best volleyball is yet to come. I don’t think we have peaked yet, but we certainly are aiming to do so in the next two weeks.”

McCutcheon feels that Pool B offers all the challenges a team could ask for in reaching their gold-medal dream.

“If you look at our pool, we start with Korea, who is really come on the last couple years,” McCutcheon said. “They have a couple players who are absolutely world class at their position. Then we go on to Brazil, and that is always a battle. Then you have China, who again is somewhat resurgent in the last two years. Following China we have Serbia, the bronze medalist at last year’s World Grand Prix and European champion. We close out with Turkey, who qualified by being pretty dominant at their Olympic qualifier. So, for us, it is tough to get out of this pool. All of sudden, then you are looking at Italy, Russia and Japan and a lot of other teams on the other side who can cause some problems.

“No question it is going to be a challenging tournament for us, and for every team,” McCutcheon said. “There are no gimmes. In some ways I like that. We are a good team, but we are one of many good teams in the world. I do believe day-in and day-out we play at a consistently high level. Will that be enough to beat some of these teams on their best day? I don’t know.”

With so many teams capable of blocking its gold-medal dream, McCutcheon likes how the team has stepped up to the challenges ahead.

I like that our team is aspiring to be the best it can be with the hopes of the gold medal,” McCutcheon said. “I think that is why you should be here. Why come if you want to come in fifth. That doesn’t make any sense to us. But that doesn’t mean that we will do it. And we are certainly not under any illusion that just because we have this ranking that all of sudden it will come pretty easy. We know it will be a battle. We know there are a lot of good teams here, but we are not going to back down. I don’t know who is going to win it, I certainly hope we do. But if we don’t, I know we have done everything we could over the last four years to be ready for this moment. Ultimately, it will come down to one or two plays, maybe some luck, maybe someone being healthy or unhealthy.”

While the team has been in London since Saturday, the squad has taken a business-like approach to obtaining its top goal.

“We are here to win gold and concentrating on that,” Berg said. “We do have some free time, but most of us have chosen to do therapy, recover, get our minds right. I don’t even think anybody has gone out to see the sights, even though we have had some time to. We are really focused on why we are here. It is a business trip for us. Luckily for us, our business is incredible and being part of the Olympics.”

According to Berg, success as the No. 1 team and just being Team USA have created a target on the team’s back over the past two years. Yet, the team is excited to enter the Olympics as the No. 1 team.

“Luckily we have had a lot of success in the last two years and we have gone into tournaments being No. 1 and being the team to beat,” Berg said. “USA in general is always the team to beat, whether we are ranked eighth or ranked first. We really have got into a rhythm of coming in and doing business, doing what we have to do taking care of the little things, really gelling as a team. Some days some people play bad and other players play great and we have been able to win tournaments that way. We are just really consistent as a group and everybody has been able to help, whether a starters or on the bench. This is what the strength of this group. I am looking at being No. 1 as a positive. We have earned it and we are here to prove it. I think the whole team feels that way. Hopefully we can prove it again in the biggest show we have been in. I think it is exciting to come in as the No. 1 team.”

• Other Quotes

Lindsey Berg

“We are practicing in the evening to get our bodies ready to play in the evening because most of our matches are at 8 o’clock. We are really getting our body in tune. We had a great practice (Monday) and hoping to have even a better one (Tuesday).”

Hugh McCutcheon

Logan is a wonderful volleyball player, and I have said this before, she is the best volleyball IQ I have ever coached. She sees the game, she reads the game better than anyone else out there as a player. She is creative and has a lot of skill. One of the things that is really important for our group is that she is really involved in terms of her ability to lead this team and to be a great teammate to help those around her with all those years of experience. She has become a really positive influence on our younger players. We are really happy that Logan is still going. We are really happy she is on our team. Like many people on this team, she has a significant role and she is doing a great job for us.”

“When you get to competing in the Olympic Games, having gone through it a couple times and having some success and having a feel for what works and doesn’t is an advantage. I don’t mean to suggest that this is algorithmic that you plug in A and get B. But I think there are some lessons learned that will apply in this campaign.”

“I think we are capable of playing some really good volleyball when we are playing great. There are no easy matches. We don’t expect any easy matches. We are trying to win the biggest event of our quadrennial. The challenge is real and we embrace that challenge. We are ready to battle. We want to be here. We have worked hard to be here. We think we are playing our best volleyball of the quad.”

• I found the article on twitter and when I read it I was shocked ……… and still I am!

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• This is very sad. I am extremely sad for the veterans of this team most importantly to Logan Tom. Well-done Logan! ;(

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Berg, Haneef and Scott-Arruda retiring... Logan Tom not sure. But here's the possible list of players that may be lined up in the future for Team USA:

OH - Larson, Hodge, Richards, Barboza, Klineman

MB - Akinradewo, Harmotto, Gibbmeyer, Paolini, Arielle Brown

Opp - Hooker, Fawcett, Blair Brown, Engle

Setter - Thompson, Glass, Lloyd

Libero - Davis, Miyashiro, Banwarth

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• I like the future of the team built around Hooker-Akinradewo-Harmotto-Larson-A. Glass-Hodge. They could still play for 2 more Olympics if they want to.

The other players have the potential to be very good but they will need International experience to be able to keep up with the best teams of the world.

With so many players retiring from most NTs, the future looks really exciting who goes on top and who will fall down.

• I like the future of the team built around Hooker-Akinradewo-Harmotto-Larson-A. Glass-Hodge. They could still play for 2 more Olympics if they want to.

The other players have the potential to be very good but they will need International experience to be able to keep up with the best teams of the world.

With so many players retiring from most NTs, the future looks really exciting who goes on top and who will fall down.

And who will you take for team as libero: Davis proved that she sin't enough for team, Sykora is too old althoguh she can play 2-3 years more, what do you think about Miyashiro? She can be future, is there any talented libero in USA except Tamari?

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I think USa will do quite well in next years. ;)

I wished Logan could stay for at least more couple years...but I hope Larson can become a new Logan Tom, ^^ I think she has the quality to do that.

• And who will you take for team as libero: Davis proved that she sin't enough for team, Sykora is too old althoguh she can play 2-3 years more, what do you think about Miyashiro? She can be future, is there any talented libero in USA except Tamari?

Miyashiro should be the starting libero for the team. Not to take anything away from Davis' previous accomplishments but she is clearly a weakness for Team USA.

Another one that is also on the gym for Team USA is Kayla Banwarth. Teammate of Jordan Larson in College.

But one libero I am excited to play for Team USA is Natalie Hagglund, the starting libero for the Junior Nat'l Team of USA in 2011 World Junior Championships. She won the Best Libero on that tournament. She's a lot of fun to watch. She is now a Junior in college so she should be graduating by 2014.

• I think USa will do quite well in next years. ;)

I wished Logan could stay for at least more couple years...but I hope Larson can become a new Logan Tom, ^^ I think she has the quality to do that.

I am actually hoping for Logan to stay for at least one more Olympics (and 2014 World Championships).

I think the new coach will definitely call her back to the team but it all depends on Logan. Maybe she will take a break from NT duties for a couple of years and be back for her 5th and final Olympics. Maybe.. ?(

Regarding Larson, its difficult to match the contributions of Logan definitely but Jordan is clearly on track of taking Tom's reign. Jordan is still 25 she still has a lot of room for improvement.

• I posted in the Olympic thread that Berg and Tom will be very hard to replace. Not just their play but the leadership they gave to this team will be huge losses and I think the players who will return to the US gym next year will feel the difference in the gym without them.

• To be honest, it was hard to watch Larson get pulled by Hugh during the Olympics. After being a starter for USA, it looked like Hugh lost some confidence in her. I understand that Larson struggled with her consistency in those matches where she got subbed out. It could also be due to Hodge closing the gap between her and Larson heading into the Olympics.... but I thought Hugh would stick with Larson in these close matches.

About the future, while many seem to think Jordan will fill Tom's departure, I actually hope Jordan does not put the mental burden on herself to be the next Logan Tom. That is an unfair burden to carry for any one player and I want Jordan to have the mental freedom to be whatever kind of player she wants to be.

• For discussion only, I will assume that the 5 veterans of USA will not be back for USA: Scott, Berg, Haneef, Tom and Davis

USA has good younger middles so I expect that position to continue to be strong for them even without Scott and Bown.

Berg leaving means USA will still have Glass, Lloyd, Thompson, Spicer, etc. and if they develop to their potential, USA will have depth on that setting position for the next Olympics.

Haneef leaving will not hurt USA that much. Hooker is the starter and can continue to play for years.

At libero, there are Miyashiro, Banwarth and Hagglund. Davis is not that old but I do not think I would want her at libero for the future.

Larson, Hodge, Richards, Klineman, Barboza... it will be up to them to step up as the outside hitters for the next years.

• I would add Kimberley Glass instead of Barboza

• I would add Kimberley Glass instead of Barboza

K. Glass? She is 28 and will be 32 in Rio and she is far away from her performance of Beijing 2008 and probably it will decrease more.I would try to adapt Sonja Newcombe to team she is only 24 and can do a good work together with a nice group.In turkish league with no contribution from other players she did great things alone.

2010/2011 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Turkish Cup Winner :cup:
    2011/2012 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Super Cup Winner :cup:

• To be honest, it was hard to watch Larson get pulled by Hugh during the Olympics. After being a starter for USA, it looked like Hugh lost some confidence in her. I understand that Larson struggled with her consistency in those matches where she got subbed out. It could also be due to Hodge closing the gap between her and Larson heading into the Olympics.... but I thought Hugh would stick with Larson in these close matches.

Larson has been the starter over Hodge for the past 2 years for a few reasons, but most important is that she gave them better ball control. Larson got subbed out during the Olympics when she couldn't pass and hit. If she was doing at least one or the other at a high level, she would have stayed on the court.

I don't blame the coach for using Hodge in the China match. They needed a spark and she gave it. But Hugh choosing to start Hodge in the next match might have messed with Larson's confidence a little.

About the future, while many seem to think Jordan will fill Tom's departure, I actually hope Jordan does not put the mental
    burden on herself to be the next Logan Tom. That is an unfair burden to carry for any one player and I want Jordan to have the mental freedom to
    be whatever kind of player she wants to be.

I also read a lot of people hoping Larson will be the next Tom. While I think that would be great if it happens, I am not sure that is what Larson is aiming for. She just seems to have different priorities than Tom when Tom was at her age. It will not surprise me if Larson is not in a USA uniform during her prime.

• We have a girl named Kanani Danielson, who plays at outside hitter, that may be one of the strongest candidates for a spot on the team. The way she plays is just outstanding. Take a look at her on youtube and see by yourself. ;)

• We have a girl named Kanani Danielson, who plays at outside hitter, that may be one of the strongest candidates for a spot on the team. The way she plays is just outstanding. Take a look at her on youtube and see by yourself. ;)

Sorry but Kanani Danielson will never be an outside hitter for the USA NT. Maybe a libero if she decided to make the switch but she's way too small to be an effective blocker at this level especially considering the talent that the USA has at the positon.