Dutch NT 2013-2014

• Can Kathy Bonsen or other player replace her,Stam not included.

• Lonneke's shoulder is ok now, but she hasn't played a full match since the end of March...so she needs time...she entered today for a few points. Hopefully she will play some more next weekend!

If Jansen improves, she will certainly get her chance again next year.

About MB: Koolhaas is a very bad player, she is only very tall.

Only being very tall does not always mean being a good player :teach:

• Can Kathy Bonsen or other player replace her,Stam not included.

I don't know about Bonsen's current shape...I don't know if she will become a solid receiver at international level..

Plak has already good reception-skills, considering her age...Possibly she will be a solid receiver in a few years :win:

• I don't know about Bonsen's current shape...I don't know if she will become a solid receiver at international level..

Plak has already good reception-skills, considering her age...Possibly she will be a solid receiver in a few years :win:

We need more solid receiver。。。

• We need more solid receiver。。。

At the moment, because of Stam's injury, Grothues is the best receiver in current roster. Renkema is also quite solid receiver, but she has never proved it at international level yet.

• @ ned

What do you think of Kirsten Knip's performance against China?

• @ ned

What do you think of Kirsten Knip's performance against China?

Think about she is only 21,and this is the first international match,really good in dig,except zhu ting.
    But she did not do a good job against BUL.

Schoot is more experienced,but Knip is more talented.
    Happy to see some new young Dutch girls with great potential

• What kind of shape is Manon in right now?

One thing I definitely have to say is Femke Stoltenborg is an essential! A lot of people say tall setters basically suck for example Rondon or Mollers but she definitely shows her great potential. creative plays, nice blocks, strong fight spirit. I'm not surprised that Laura staying on bench all the time...

• What kind of shape is Manon in right now?

One thing I definitely have to say is Femke Stoltenborg is an essential! A lot of people say tall setters basically suck for example Rondon or Mollers but she definitely shows her great potential. creative plays, nice blocks, strong fight spirit. I'm not surprised that Laura staying on bench all the time...

check out FIVBheroes.com this weekend. ;)

• check out FIVBheroes.com this weekend. ;)

Definitely check out Jo's feature ;)

As far as Femke goes, she is starting setter now and barring anything unforeseen, she will start this weekend as well. It's great to see her finally able to show her true ability, and it's so good to see Quinta and Robin getting quick balls while wearing orange :)

As for tall setters generally, I agree with the 'antis' who think it looks weird when the setter is the tallest player (as Femke was at Amstelveen and also Ben Pipes in the British mens NT - I'm sure there are other examples but can't think of any right now) but really, the only thing that matters is how good he or she is!

Tall setters also seem to be the way that position is going, I don't have stats to back this up, but it definitely feels like setters are on average MUCH taller than 15 years ago (in absolute terms and relative to other positions). My theory on that is that modern reception (in the libero era) is so much better than before, that it is less important for setters to be able to move quickly and more important that they can block well. That's just a theory and I'd be interested to hear what others think.

• As for tall setters generally, I agree with the 'antis' who think it looks weird when the setter is the tallest player (as Femke was at Amstelveen and also Ben Pipes in the British mens NT - I'm sure there are other examples but can't think of any right now) but really, the only thing that matters is how good he or she is!

Tall setters also seem to be the way that position is going, I don't have stats to back this up, but it definitely feels like setters are on average MUCH taller than 15 years ago (in absolute terms and relative to other positions). My theory on that is that modern reception (in the libero era) is so much better than before, that it is less important for setters to be able to move quickly and more important that they can block well. That's just a theory and I'd be interested to hear what others think.

I think it's not only about the actual height of the setter, but about the coordinative abilities she has, and usually the taller somebody is the worse is the coordination. Some tall setters (e.g. Möllers, though she has improved over the last years) tend to look somewhat awkward in some situations because they seem to have little control over their long limbs, while others with the same height (Naz, Femke) move a lot better.

About the general height: I think players in general have become taller in the same way as setters. Libero introduction certainly played a role too, but a different one for me: before libero, all short players automatically became setters and all tall players became attackers. With the libero introduction, there is another role for short players, so tall players nowadays also are "allowed" to become setters. And with the general increase of players' height, the blocking weakness of short setters has become more important, so many coaches want to have a tall setter who can block well against the 1.90+ OHs we have nowadays.

• Indeed, I don't agree with you about that it is less important for setters to be able to move quickly. Since 'libero era', although reception lines started to strengthen, serving power increased a lot more, too. Thus, I still insist to have quick setter instead of tall ones if you don't have two defensive OH. On the other hand, being tall is not supposed to be slow. Femke is and all-around setter who is both tall and quick, which is rare :whistle:

• I hope Sloetjes or Flier will be the starting six,Pietersen is not the best choice.

• I hope Sloetjes or Flier will be the starting six,Pietersen is not the best choice.

I hope so :win:

But, I read in Dutch press both Sloetjes and Flier are still not 100 % yet...

We have to wait and see...