2013 FIVB Junior World Championship - Czech Republic - 21/06

• Thank you dear. :flower: I think I had already asked that before in another topic, but I didn't remember the answer..hehehehe

You're always welcome, Joana!) :drink: It came to my mind only now - I'll be in Czech Republic exactly on the dates of this tournament. So I'll start to search where Brno is located, RUS-BRA game on 24th is definitely not to miss! :super:

• You're always welcome, Joana!) :drink: It came to my mind only now - I'll be in Czech Republic exactly on the dates of this tournament. So I'll start to search where Brno is located, RUS-BRA game on 24th is definitely not to miss! :super:

:flower: Indeed. hope you can watch it live! :)

• Why is Yang Jie not in China's team? She played in Senior NT last year and is born 1994, so she should be eligibile to play this tournament...

It is said that she has the headache for a few months.
    She has lost the main OH in Team Shanghai.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Why is Yang Jie not in China's team? She played in Senior NT last year and is born 1994, so she should be eligibile to play this tournament...

she is in poor conditions。She was playing badly during last Chinese volleyball league。

• OMG there's an american player 2,03 height. Nowadays these girls are eating meters for breakfast. At 2030 we'll see giants on court.

At previous youth WCH there was a player in Puerto Rico NT whom is 207 cm and she was really slow and useless so for me being tall means nothing at all apart if they show a progress like Gamova :win:

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…GY2011&Team=PUR&No=132333

2010/2011 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Turkish Cup Winner :cup:
    2011/2012 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Super Cup Winner :cup:

• OMG there's an american player 2,03 height. Nowadays these girls are eating meters for breakfast. At 2030 we'll see giants on court.

No the vikings were 180cm in average height, and its the same nowadays in these countries. So for 1000 years the avg. height hasnt changed in some countries so there is no reason it should change drastically closest 17 years either. For 15 years ago USA had 201cm Haneef as junior and now they have a 203cm tall player...I do not see the big deal.

• Turkish players already started countdown for the tournament,they wanna win their 4th tournament back to back at youth categories but this time i see China and Brazil's chances much higher according to friendly matches and tournaments.Both Brazil and China Jr. NT. participated to senior tournaments and they did fine at least turkish team could participate to EL 1st week to test themselves :whistle:

• Turkish players already started countdown for the tournament,they wanna win their 4th tournament back to back at youth categories but this time i see China and Brazil's chances much higher according to friendly matches and tournaments.Both Brazil and China Jr. NT. participated to senior tournaments and they did fine at least turkish team could participate to EL 1st week to test themselves :whistle:

Well Everyone knows that Turkey won 3 Gold Medals at home and in Turkey Home Team as Looser of Match is very rare sight so Turkey playing abroad will be real challange of Their level.

• At previous youth WCH there was a player in Puerto Rico NT whom is 207 cm and she was really slow and useless so for me being tall means nothing at all apart if they show a progress like Gamova :win:

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…GY2011&Team=PUR&No=132333

Many thanks, StarNight! :win: I love this kind of information: the tallest player, the younger, etc.
    2,07 is insane. I saw the team's photo too and she looks like a mother with its children. It's funny. :lol:
    You know, man, this is one of the questions I do: How arrange height and technique? We have good players with 2,18, 2,17, 2,12, etc between the men. Gamova seems to be an exception for women. I wonder if there's a physical limit for genders.

No the vikings were 180cm in average height, and its the same nowadays in these countries. So for 1000 years the avg. height hasnt changed in some countries so there is no reason it should change drastically closest 17 years either. For 15 years ago USA had 201cm Haneef as junior and now they have a 203cm tall player...I do not see the big deal.

The big deal is that this is becoming more common. I can give you a lot of examples, but I'll restrict it to not be too long. At the 2004 Olympic Games, brazilian MBs are Walewska (1,93) and Valeska (1,80). Nowadays are Thaisa (1,96) and Fabiana (1,93) which means our block was 1,86 (Athens) and is 1,94 now. Our male opposite was André Nascimento (1,95) and now is Vissotto (2,12). One of our most promising opposites is 2,17 which means 0,22 more in 8 years. Our tallest MB was Gustavo (2,05) and now is Lucão (2,09), but we have a new player, Gustavão, that is 2,15. There's a lot of examples here and all around the world.
    It seems that, instead of the vikings, volleyball teams won't remain with the same height for 1000 years. :win:
    Volleyball players aren't common people. I usually don't see a 2,17 guy or a 2,07 girl walking on streets. There's a selection that choose the tallest people to play volleyball or other sports that requires height. If we compare teams now and teams from 30 years ago the difference is visible. A 2,17 player here in Brazil was unthinkable 15 years ago.

• Brazil U20 is on the road to Czech Republic. We have a good group, but there's a lot of good teams too. Pool C is the hardest: Brazil, USA, Russia, Bulgaria and México (I don't think FIVB likes Brazil too much! :mad:).
    Considering four teams from each pool will qualify to the eight finals. this is good because we can play against top teams and be prepared to playoffs: when the going gets tough the tough get going! :win: Go Brazil! :super:

• There is no reasonable logic in your statements. Just because one country started to get much taller players does not mean anything. Probably its this simple that volleyball just have won over basketball in this cases. This guys with this heights have always been there but in some generations some choose basketball and in some they choose more volleyball, boxing or something else. In Russia the players are shorter today for ex than 10 years ago.

Overall I would though still agree with you for some part, the players are taller today but its more due to better scouting, more publicity, better salaries etc, since the game have been more professional it gets more attention from the "right" people.

• Turkey NT Final roster for WCH

S : Cagla Akin - Ezgi Dilik
    OPP : Ceyda Aktas (Also OH),Sabriye Gonulkirmaz
    OH : Damla Cakiroglu,Seyma Ercan,Ece Hocaoglu (Also OPP)
    MB : Kubra Akman,Asli Kalac,Ceylan Arisan
    L : Dilara Bagci,Dilek Kinik

• Turkey NT Final roster for WCH

S : Cagla Akin - Ezgi Dilik
    OPP : Ceyda Aktas (Also OH),Sabriye Gonulkirmaz
    OH : Damla Cakiroglu,Seyma Ercan,Ece Hocaoglu (Also OPP)
    MB : Kubra Akman,Asli Kalac,Ceylan Arisan
    L : Dilara Bagci,Dilek Kinik

Sabriye is also Opp.

There is always another name for second setter position; first Kübra Kegan, then Nursevil Aydınlar and now Ezgi Dilik.

• There is no reasonable logic in your statements. Just because one country started to get much taller players does not mean anything. Probably its this simple that volleyball just have won over basketball in this cases. This guys with this heights have always been there but in some generations some choose basketball and in some they choose more volleyball, boxing or something else. In Russia the players are shorter today for ex than 10 years ago.

Overall I would though still agree with you for some part, the players are taller today but its more due to better scouting, more publicity, better salaries etc, since the game have been more professional it gets more attention from the "right" people.

As I said before, I only used one country for example to not be much long.
    We can compare height between all countries that contest at the 2004 Olympic Games and also at the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm comparing the starting-six height (it's a rate) of each team:

Male
    Athens/London - difference
    Argentina: 1,94/1,98 - 4 centimetres
    Australia: 2,00/2,03 - 3
    Brazil: 1,96/2,00 - 4
    Italy: 1,95/2,00 - 5
    Poland: 2,00/2,03 - 3
    Russia: 2,04/2,04 - 0 (there's a slight increase, but I decided to ignore it)
    Serbia: 1,98/2,00 - 2
    USA: 2,00/2,01 - 1

At the women's side, aside Italy, Japan and Dominican Republic (unchanged), we had an addition in all teams: South Korea (6 centimetres), China (4), Brazil (3) and so forth. I don't know about Japan ans Dominican Republic, but Italy roster remained the same for a long time with little changes. Their taller player at Athens was Togut (1,92). Now, finally, we'll see more changes with new players like Diouf (2,02) and, obviously, the team will become higher.

It's clear to me that teams are becoming higher with the time. Unhappiness, I haven't a database to compare with teams from 70's, 80's and 90's, but considering what I heard from older players in interviews, I guess it's certain that these teams were lower. A good selection is important to consider it. That's because I'm considering only teams that participate at this 2 Olympic Games. Countries with no volleyball tradition tend to remain with the same height because they haven't a good selection process, scouting, volleyball visibility, etc.

• Interesting statistic but you just confirm what I already agreed with, that the players getting taller. You know, there is around 200 women in the world over 200cm, so its no big deal at all that there is players around with this heights in the volleyball world. Why we see more and more players nowadays with these heights, are probably more because of that for 10-20 years ago the chances to make a serious living through playing volleyball were slimmer. But belive me, they have always been there anyway, but not "visible" like now.