2015 FIVB World Grand Prix

• When did not calling other players by their names become an issue? A lot of coaches do that during huddle/timeout because it's easier, given that players have large numbers on their jerseys.

People are reacting this way because Christa called word class players by their jersey numbers. If USA played against a lesser known team, this would not have been an issue. If they call their opponents uniformly it means they don't brand them superior than others, they see them as equals. I ain't American but we all know American girls are some of the most polite volleyball players on court.

• you are so right, emil. kim sounds so much like onuma or takeshita. i can't hardly tell them apart.

you're just a petulant little boy.

Who is Onuma? Btw, call me whatever you want, I don't give a crap ;)

• who is this player barbara, she plays MB and OPP??????

is that like andreia sforsin?

She played for years as MB, she started play as OPP after Monique injury last season (both play for SESI-SP) and had a very impressive performance.
    As MB she is just a normal player, this season she will play as OPP for Brasilia.

• In the meanwhile, Czech Republic are going to play with the same roster in final tour in Poland.

S : Pavla Vincourová, Lucie Smutná
    OPP : Eva Hodanová, Tereza Vanžurová
    OH : Helena Havelková (Captain), Andrea Kossányiová, Michaela Mlejnková, Michala Kvapilová, Marie Toufarová
    MB : Barbora Purchartová, Nikol Sajdová, Veronika Trnková
    L : Veronika Dostálová, Šárka Melichárková

• Yup, easy as hell. I won't comment at all on your comment anymore, don't waste your precious time on useless stuff, man.

• i must admit to me japanese names are easier to remember and pronounce, even some new names like Sarina Koga,Shimamura etc....however,some of Chinese names are a little bit harder to pronounce but still Ting,Ruoqi,Chunlei are well-known players...im just not familiar with some new chinese players names ..

• Just a small feedback to all these number-name thing. When I play matches, I hear from the opponents and coach that they call me "number 6" not because my name does not write on my jersey, but they can't pronounce it. I know some of my opponents tried several times when they talked to me on face, but they simply could not pronounce it though I appreciated the effort. I'm just wondering, would we be such careful if Harmotto could not pronounce/remember the name of a spiker from Kenya NT? Is it only rude because she did not remember a world star's name? Now we are being irrational. I can imagine how rude she sounds but that is the culture unfortunately in the western world where people do not care much about those details.

• What's up with this names vs numbers thing? USA staff has always called players based on numbers for YEARS, decades even. pretty pointless and useless thing to discuss. :sleeping:

• I dont get this argument as well, calling players by their number is the most usual thing in volleyball, Its just easier, every team does that. Brazilians also called by the number many times, so what......come on guys, so much more important and interesting things to get worried about in this life, lets move on with this topic shall we?! ^^

• i didn't say anything negative about dietzen, i was only reacting to some immature, petulant poster here.

if anything, i think dietzen might have been trying not to offend anyone by mis-pronouncing names. in any event, it's common for athletes and coaches to use numbers instead of names. although i think it's good to know your opponents' names. do you think messi doesn't know ronaldo's name , and vice versa?

• So for the Asian women should we be reading their jerseys from right to left or do they follow english conventions and go left to right? Are the transcription of Asian letters to English following the Chinese convention of creating a phonetically similar spelling ie. (they spell it so that if you pronounce it in a standard English fashion it will phonetically resemble the pronunciation that the Chinese characters create) or do they just try to match up what would be similar letters in each language. I personally like the Brazilians with their catchy one word names. I mean we all know who Kimyk10 is don't we? :cheesy: