Russian NT

• Some short news on russian team.
    Borodakova after wedding and "honey month" (or how's it called in english) will go to Germany for shoulder operation. And it's not known when she'll join the team (some people said that she won't play in NT this season).
    Gamova also has problems with shoulder, she'll join the team and start practice after Montreux.
    Sokolova will join the team after Yeltsin Cup, and may be will play in GP.
    Caprara also said that Godina will play for sure in Yeltsin Cup, while Gamova's paticipation is under question.
    I also heard that Giovanni said that he wants Pronicheva to be the main sub for Borodakova but in Montreux Alimova subs Maria (may be thay haven't solved citizenship problem of Pronicheva yet).
    By now that's all. I'll try to update info as far as possible.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• thanks nick!
    hmm what citizenship does Pronicheva have? :?
    do u know where Borodakova's surgery will be?

• Quote from "Nick"

Sokolova will join the team after Yeltsin Cup, and may be will play in GP.
    Caprara also said that Godina will play for sure in Yeltsin Cup, while Gamova's paticipation is under question.
    I also heard that Giovanni said that he wants Pronicheva to be the main sub for Borodakova but in Montreux Alimova subs Maria (may be thay haven't solved citizenship problem of Pronicheva yet).
    By now that's all. I'll try to update info as far as possible.

thx for the news, nick
    i think russia definitely need to look for more subs for post 2008 lol
    and good to know that gamova will play in grand prix

i wanna know if caprara has any intention or whatsoever to re-call artamonova to NT for 08, thx 8)

• Nastja, actually not citizenship... but problem with dicuments. I think she has double citizenship greeck and russian. 2 years have already passed and she may play in NT but there were some problems? I don't know for sure what kind of problem :roll:
    Maria said only about country, she didn't mention the place.

colossus, I also always wanted to see Zhenya in NT after OG 2004 but I think we won't see her in squad :( Caprara never ever mentioned Zhenya in his interviews. I guess he won't recall her. :cry2:

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. (Oscar Wilde).

• Quote from "Nick"

colossus, I also always wanted to see Zhenya in NT after OG 2004 but I think we won't see her in squad :( Caprara never ever mentioned Zhenya in his interviews. I guess he won't recall her. :cry2:

oh, did i misunderstand something here----zenya artamonova is the same as evyenya artamonova, the ex-spiker from russia---somebody help :o

• Quote from "colossus"

oh, did i misunderstand something here----zenya artamonova is the same as evyenya artamonova, the ex-spiker from russia---somebody help :o

Yeah, Zhenya is the same as Euvgenya, it's her, great all around player and my favourite in the past.

• Quote from "Nick"

Yeah, Zhenya is the same as Euvgenya, it's her, great all around player and my favourite in the past.[/quote]

thx nick, she is THE artamonova to me 8)

• Some info about team.

WGP 2007.
    Our team just didn't want to play... :?

Part of interview with Sokolova before final six in China.

J. - How do you feel about participating in GP?
    Sok. - I never hide that I don't care about this tournament. I think it's the worst tournament among all. So if Caprara thinks that it's the best way to prepare for EC, we have only two things left: to work and be patient.
    J. - Don't you think that GP will be useful preparation?
    Sok. - May be, may be not. I think that playing friendly matches and some small tournaments woud have been far more better.
    J. - Next summer (year of OG) Russia will take part in GP again....
    Sok. - It's not for sure, we have to qualify. If it was my choice, I'd rather not qualify for GP 2008.

As for me, I was a bit angry with girls while watching final six and reading some interviews. What for to qualify for final six if you are so tired and want to rest and don't want play... It's a pity that Russia qualified for final six, I think Cuba or USA would have shown better volleyball and would have been more competitive. And our girls went home to rest. They knew that fivb went mad and made insane schedule of tounaments.

Interview with Caprara after qualification tournament in Ankara.

J. - Our team was 4th in WGP and 5th in qual. for GP08, what's up with the team?
    Cap. - Iwant to say that defeat in match against Italy was caused not only due to sport reasons. Before the match the whole team got food-poisoning. Also Sokolova had an injury and to play libero. (Kabeshova felt very bad...).
    I'm going to say that that accident was the main reason, it happened on the last day and before that we lost to Serbia and Turkey. Reasons? The same as in WGP. All our problems were in our hads.
    J. - What do you mean?
    Cap. - Girls were not concentrated, they didn't react on my words. Our leaders were not ready to play at their best like it was on WC. Seemingly they decided that the main tournament is EC and only there they should play good.
    Then bla-bla... Caprara says that it would be more difficult task to win this EC than WCH06 in Japan :?
    He says that many teams may win: Russia, Italy, Serbia, Netherlands, Germany, Turkey, Poland.

Also he was a bit upset that Russia didn't qualify for WGP08. He was more upset with the level of volleyball girls showed.
    "We'll work on serve and attack. If we' won't improve these elements it'll be unreral to win this EC....."
    (I hope they improved.... :roll: ).

Last, short interview. (17.09.07).
    J. - What were the reasons of all loses?
    Cap. - Our main problem is low motivation of our leaders. After they became world champions they don't care about other tournaments. But EC is very difficult tournament and hope that our leaders will be in good conditions (mental and physic).

And the last thing is that Sedova replaced Sahina who is injured.

OMG, I won't be surprised if Russia won't win EC, there are so many strong teams. Also final is a ticket to WC and there ticket to OG... man, is it not a strong motivation? :twisted:
    We'll see.... Hope my apprehensions are groundless.

MB opposite the setter

Quote from "Jo11"

But this sytem can be really good on a team with 4 very strong outsides hitters.

So, let me think a little bit.
    If Artamonova comes back in Russian NT, wouldn't that be a good formation for Russia? I mean Artamonova, Sokolova, Gamova and Godina all 4 on court!! That would be scary for any team. With Artamonova back reception and defence will be better and Gosha could focus more on attack. Plus Akulova is not bad at blocking.
    Russia doesn't attack a lot with MBs, so having a hitter instead will be better.

• Quote from "samba player"

So, let me think a little bit.
    If Artamonova comes back in Russian NT, wouldn't that be a good formation for Russia? I mean Artamonova, Sokolova, Gamova and Godina all 4 on court!! That would be scary for any team. With Artamonova back reception and defence will be better and Gosha could focus more on attack. Plus Akulova is not bad at blocking.
    Russia doesn't attack a lot with MBs, so having a hitter instead will be better.

You are right, Russian team is not well known for playing a lot with middle players. Akulova prefer setting hight balls to Shashkova, Gamova, Godina or Safronova.
    But to playlike this you need a setter who can block like a middle player when she is at the net. I don't think that Akulova could block like that.

It could be interesting seeing the team playing like this. With Artamonova and Shashkova + libero the team would have great reception. Gamova and Godina would only have to focus on attack.
    And on some position Shashkova could block at the center in place of Akulova. she already play has middle player in the past.

It will certainly never happens, but a team with this 4 players on court would be amazing and so powerful in attack!

• Sokolova keeps a blog here:
    http://www.sports.ru/blog/eurovolley/

There are only three messages, however it's better than nothing).
    If you're interested, you can read but it's in russian, hope u'll find a way to translate.

• Russian NT will have a training camp in Novogorsk from october 23 to november 10 to prepare for olympic qualification tournament.
    Players:

Setters: Marina Sheshenina (Uralochka-NTMK), Marina Akoulova (Samorodok).

Attackers: Lioubov Sokolova, Natalia Safronova, Olga Fateeva, Tatiana Kosheleva (all - Zarechie-Odintsovo), Ekaterina Gamova (Dinamo Moscow), Natalia Kulikova (Smorodok).

MB: Yulia Merkulova (Zarechie-Odintsovo), Yulia Sedova (Avtodor-Metar), Olga Zhitova (Dinamo-Yantar') and Natalia Alimova (Leningradka).

Libero: Ekaterina Kabeshova (Dinamo Moscow) and Ekaterina Chernova (Balakovskaya AES).

So.... no Zhenja((( however it was obvious that Caprara will ignore Artamonova.... and it seems that Gosha also has problems because of that knee injury(((
    Sheshenina is back but I'm not sure if it is a plus or minus, haven't seen her game for ages.

• Quote from "Nick"

So.... no Zhenja((( however it was obvious that Caprara will ignore Artamonova

I don't understand why he is ignoring such a strong player as Artamonova?? :?

• Quote from "Matthias"

What about Sazhina, is she still injured? And what about Kryuchkova?

I think that Olga is still injured because she didn't play for Dinamo Yantar' in semi of Russian Cup (october 13-15), she was not even in roster.
    Kryuchkova plays for Odintsovo but Caprara found her game too weak in this season, so he rejected her (but Chernova :roll: ) may be he wants to try new libero, but I think that Kabeshova will be the main one because she played really good at EC.

• Quote from "samba player"

I don't understand why he is ignoring such a strong player as Artamonova?? :?

I think beacause Zhenja hasn't played on serious level for a long time (4+ years) and she had very serious injury etc. Also Caprara hasn't seen her game in Russian league. If she plays good in Russian league this season and Caprara will notice that she has chances. So, everythings depends on Zhenja, we'll see. (I beg that she comes back, because she's a great attacker, server, reception, defence.... she was just great but that doesn't mean she's great now :? :roll:

• where is godina?won'T she play in NT

• ok.well.what about borodakova and belikova?