CEV Champions League 2019

• So Skra really did win, huh. Just like I thought, this match-up wasn't so one-sided in favor of the Russians after all.

These teams to me are quite evenly matched. They both have the same type of ups and downs. The Camejo situation is also a bit of a nightmare for Zenit. His return might slightly tip the advantage to Zenit, but of course, in what shape will he be in.. This is still anyone's to win - whoever can have the longest steady spell will win

• So all the favorites (Kazan, Lube, Perugia) won albeit all 5 setters. Guess the level of the top teams isn't far off from the rest after all.. Good thing they have to play the next match at home

The schedule is just crazy. Most of the teams are simply too tired. And this is the good scenario, the bad one is injuries. Look at Modena, for example: they manage to recover 1 player and soon they lose 2 others; it's been like this the whole season.

Some teams are already focused for the national leagues play-offs, in order to get in the best possible shape for the finals.

Perugia doesn't look in its best days lately. Same for Lube, I could say.

• I couldn't watch anything yesterday apart from the second set in Belchatow. Which wasn't great at all. But looking at the stats sheets now, you can't ignore the direct correlation (obvious one, of course, noted many times over the past few seasons) between Leon and his team's performance. Leon with 19 serves against Chaumont, 11 errors and no aces! He contributed to almost half of Perugia's combined 26 serve errors. It is clear based on just this fact why they struggled from a technical perspective, but it is still pity Chaumont couldn't push for something more than a five-set defeat.

• So Skra really did win, huh. Just like I thought, this match-up wasn't so one-sided in favor of the Russians after all.

Maybe not one-sided, but Zenit was a huge favorite. Camejo injured and it is not sa easy to win away game, but I think that russian atmosphere will be to much for polish side and Zenit will advance to the next round after a tough game

• Russian teams will continue their domination in European Championship League.

Possibly, but not as convincingly as they used to. In fact, Russian teams might win the next few editions of the Champions League, if that's what you refer to by European Championship League, or maybe European Cups in total, but so far this season they clearly don't dominate. It started almost last season where, although the best team in the world back then with Leon, Zenit had to heavily rely on the Cuban to steal the CL title at home from Lube. With Leon changing sides this season, the deck has been reshuffled, putting Italy back into competition. I also think the Russian league has/had been the strongest one for some years, something that not everyone agrees with and it's totally fine, however, with Leon's transfer and the all-Italian final at the Club WCH things look differently for the Russians this season. Zenit's CL march will show if they are still the best team out there, whereas Belogorie, Lokomotiv Novosibirsk, and Dinamo Moscow have been weakened or have been performing quite average. The fresh air comes from Fakel, Kuzbass, and Zenit SP, but we saw how dependent Zenit SP can be on Camejo or Grozer, whereas Kuzbass couldn't even reach the much expected CEV Cup final against Trentino, losing to an otherwise unimpressive Galatasaray side. Belogorie struggled but overcame Poitiers, who have trouble in the French league, yet they are not clear favourites against Monza who are in a similar position in the Italian league (both ranked 5th or 6th right now).

To sum up, the Italians handled the competition from Russia quite well this season. The Russian and Italian teams are still the best in Europe, of course, but as of this season we can no longer talk about Russian domination. Which doesn't mean they won't win a trophy somewhere or that they can't dominate all tournaments in, say, 2 years, but European Cups and the Champions League in particular are no longer a walkover for the Russians.

• Kazan lost the first set. Not a good sign

• Kazan lost the first set. Not a good sign

And Kazan also about to lose second set.. They need to win the next 3 sets and the golden set to stay in the competition :white:

• well now they've lost both sets. Now they cant lose anymore sets otherwise they are out!! This would probably be the biggest shock of the season..

• Kazan are playing too much with a 'we are the better team' mentality. They are getting caught in trying to work out why Gdansk is winning and not just focusing on their own fundamental plays. They could be less arrogant and a bit more focused as a team.

• well now they've lost both sets. Now they cant lose anymore sets otherwise they are out!! This would probably be the biggest shock of the season..

Even a bigger shock compared to Vitra being eliminated by Congeliano over the women's side I would say lol

• Kazan can still 'win' the next two sets and lose the tie break and still force the golden does that seem about right?

• Kazan can still 'win' the next two sets and lose the tie break and still force the golden does that seem about right?

Yes, Kazan won 3:2 at away game.

If Kazan win at 3:2 today,they win.

If Kazan lose at 2:3, then there is a golden set

• Kazan barely survived Set 3. They still have their chances.. Goodness these QFs are crazy lol

• Kazan luckily won set 3. NG played horribly so far.

The referees sucks too.

• These referees are really annoying: whenever there's a doubt, the point automatically goes to Zenit-Kazan and Anastasi has to call a video challenge in order to have what already belongs to his team.

• I would have liked to see a bit more urgency form Gdansk in this set - given that they are the underdogs. They are slowly allowing Kazan to dominant with some bad errors. I don't see them winning this tie if they lose this set

• Kazan middles are what's saving them in this match

• Anderson made a crucial passing error. Now Kazan is on the edge of elimination.