2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• I actually wouldn't have a problem with this at all. Women's handball had huge problems with exactly this issue between 1996 and 2004, when the competition was limited to 10 teams (or only 8, like in Atlanta!) and one of those teams were the hosts USA, Australia and Greece, all of which are VERY far from the top level and got thrashed by everyone. Honestly, it made the entire tournament look like a bit of a joke. IMO, the hosts should show they are able to compete on an at least a somewhat acceptable level if they're going to get a direct entry.

That’s one of the perks of being the host. You can’t expect the host nation to be good at every sport.

• That’s one of the perks of being the host. You can’t expect the host nation to be good at every sport.

Exactly, which is why there's no reason for them to participate in every sport. If Belgrade by some miracle got to host the Olympics, I absolutely wouldn't want Serbia to send teams in, like, field hockey and women's water polo, because we're hopeless in those sports and taking part in them would be a waste of everyone's time.

And I don't buy the buzzwords about "exposure" and "promotion" either, because British volleyball now after London is exactly where it was before it - that is, nowhere.

• i don't disagree with you, joana, but i doubt it's feasible in practice.

the problem with GBR hosting the games was that they were also placed in the same group as ALG, so the weakest 2 teams were in the same pool. but that also happened in rio (ARG & CMR), which ... surprise! .. were in the same pool as the hosts...

• With GBR that made sense, because the serpentine system places the host with the weakest.

As for Argentina and Cameroon, yeah the fivb rankings are fucked

• Exactly, which is why there's no reason for them to participate in every sport. If Belgrade by some miracle got to host the Olympics, I absolutely wouldn't want Serbia to send teams in, like, field hockey and women's water polo, because we're hopeless in those sports and taking part in them would be a waste of everyone's time.

And I don't buy the buzzwords about "exposure" and "promotion" either, because British volleyball now after London is exactly where it was before it - that is, nowhere.

But the most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, it could be their only chance at the Olympics, imagine how devastating that would be for them, being the host and still can not take part.

• But the most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, it could be their only chance at the Olympics, imagine how devastating that would be for them, being the host and still can not take part.

that's hypocritical! You can empathize British volleyball players but cannot imagine how devastating it will be to watch OG at home for Dutch, polish or Turkish players?

I definitely agree with not giving a direct slot for host in every single sport, there is no country who has a team that's decent in every single Olympic sports. What's the point of giving them such a important slot?

• that's hypocritical! You can empathize British volleyball players but cannot imagine how devastating it will be to watch OG at home for Dutch, polish or Turkish players?

I definitely agree with not giving a direct slot for host in every single sport, there is no country who has a team that's decent in every single Olympic sports. What's the point of giving them such a important slot?

Countries wouldn't want to host if you did that for every sport. I think a token spot to the host country is fine, but seeding them 1st is ridiculous.

• that's hypocritical! You can empathize British volleyball players but cannot imagine how devastating it will be to watch OG at home for Dutch, polish or Turkish players?

Like WTF? That's totally different. Am I supposed to feel bad for all the teams and players not participating in the OGs? It's not just OGs, in every sport, this is hosts' privilege. If you're not the host, then you need to earn the berth! PERIOD!

• Recently, Sergio Busato, the assistant coach of the Russian NT, committed racist acts. The photo was taken after Russia beat South Korea and the Russian media, which took the picture, explained that Busato did the action because he couldn't contain his joy.

South Korean fans were very angry at his actions and Korean Volleyball Association officially stated that it would protest the action to the FIVB and the Russian Volleyball Federation. I'm so sad and angry that there is still such a dickhead.

• Jeez, I feel completely embarrassed whenever some Europeans doing that, they'd say "we are not being against them, it's just a friendly gesture" well of course it is :aww:

• From my personal experience, I have lots of friends from Turkey and Italy on fb, I can definitely say that some people from north part of Italy sometimes commit racist acts. I also follow their posts on fb, as far as I know some people from north part of Italy have a passion for fair skins/eyes/hair. Sergio Busato is also from Italy, and its really unpleasant situation for both him and RVF.

I guess all countries' have racists sadly but indeed such acts should at least not be tolerated by the higher powers or it would to me look like racism propaganda. I hope he gets banned everywhere.

• the problem is here, he now lives in Russia, which most part of this country is placed in Asia, + there are plenty of people here with Asian roots. His acts can offend them as well.

Ofc, racist people are living in everywhere, but it's a sad situation some people from north part of Italy even commit such racist acts against people who live in south part of Italy and that's why I emphasize it.

I didn't know much about that, that's sad :( And indeed he is representing Russia, a European and Asian country (Eurasian) and this is super offensive to some Russians with Asian roots as well.

• Being born poor is not a guilt but being uncivilized is a big guilt 🤷🏼‍♂️

• I thought that this gesture was not because of Korea but because they won tickets to Japan. The same was done by Serbian team after they won WCH qualification.

I have nothing to do with this case but I try to explain somehow it to me. So I get it as sign of happiness after victory, but should victory be presented this way? I think no.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania serbia will play in japan 2018 cev

• Both meanings seem racist to me.

Fully agree.

But doing it against Koreans to ridicule them is not only racist, I think. For me it would be the worst vulgarity example. We could actually discuss by hours is racism=vulgarity.

So I my only hope is that this gentleman wanted to express his happiness and of course shouldn't do this again.

• Fully agree.

But doing it against Koreans to ridicule them is not only racist, I think. For me it would be the worst vulgarity example. We could actually discuss by hours is racism=vulgarity.

So I my only hope is that this gentleman wanted to express his happiness and of course shouldn't do this again.

Yea indeed there is racism coming from ignorance, which can be cured/educated if you have the right mindset and there is blatant racism, those are even proud of it usually.

Both are as horrible in the moment and should be punished no exceptions or excuses.

But someone that would mock the opposition like that for sure is hopeless and a danger for the sport, I hope it was a dumb move too out of happiness.