2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Voronkova <3

I am half Italian but I support Russia too because of her and the new our little star Arina.I have met( as volunteer)her father Sergey in OG of Athens when he won the gold medal.I couldn't imagine then that his newborn baby after 17 years could play volleyball in such a level.

• Voronkova <3

I am half Italian but I support Russia too because of her and the new our little star Arina.I have met( as volunteer)her father Sergey in OG of Athens when he won the gold medal.I couldn't imagine then that his newborn baby after 17 years could play volleyball in such a level.

Oh, cool story!

Pity that her father turned out to be a cheater and banned for doping. :gone:

• With just missing one day of competition, the statistics are the following ones:

TOP SCORER

1. Tijana Boskovic 103

2- Paola Egonu 82

3. Jordan Thompson 78

4. Kim Yeon Kung 78

5. Nataliya Goncharova 76

(bonus track for Fe Garay, 73 pts)

BEST ATTACKER

1. Tijana Boskovic

2. Nataliya Goncharova

3. Paola Egonu

4. Kim Yeon Kung

5. Jordan Thompson

BEST BLOCKER

1. Zehra Gunes

2. Carol Gattaz

3. Ana Carolina da Silva

4. Irina Koroleva

5. Jiniery Martinez

BEST SERVER

1. Paola Egonu

2. Irina Voronkova

3. Arina Fedorovsteva

4. Eda Erdem

5. Yeum Hye Seon

BEST DIGGER:

1. Anna Podkopaeva

2. Oh Jiyoung

3. Camila Brait

4. Kim Yeon Kung

5. Brenda Castillo

BEST RECEIVER

1. MBH

2. Bojana Milenkovic

3. Fe Garay

4. Kim Yeon Kung

5. Mayu Ishikawa

Highlights: It is surprising that despite of not performing to her standards, actually, very far from it, Egonu is still top 5 in many rankings. With just two more drops of concentration, Paola could grab a medal by herself. She is not even at 50% of her level in Coneglaino last season.

Aside the statistics, my top 3 of players so far are KYK, Malova and Fe Garay. These three players have been the key of the current rankings of their respective nationa teams, they are the heart of their teams. KYK in almost all the rankings, but time more important in defence. Malova: no words needed. Without her, despite Goncharova better shape, Russia wouldnt be able to be fighting for the 1st spot in the last day. And Fe Garay: who on Earth said she was done after that horrible WCH 2018 performance by Brazil? She is just gold. She represents what Brazil game has always been: no need of a scoring machine, but team game.

• Egonu is top 5 in number of spikes, and her serve aces are good, but she made the most serve errors as well.

Spike efficiency (at least 60 attempts):

Spike% Spike efficiency
    Rodrigues Fernanda BRA 66 8 52 126 52,4% 46,0%
    Boškovic Tijana SRB 92 21 50 163 56,4% 43,6%
    Erdem Dündar Eda TUR 35 9 17 61 57,4% 42,6%
    Thompson Jordan USA 66 17 36 119 55,5% 41,2%
    Kim Yeon Koung KOR 68 16 61 145 46,9% 35,9%
    Goncharova Nataliya RUS 69 21 47 137 50,4% 35,0%
    Bosetti Caterina Chiara ITA 35 11 25 71 49,3% 33,8%
    Martinez Jineiry DOM 30 10 22 62 48,4% 32,3%
    Pietrini Elena ITA 33 10 31 74 44,6% 31,1%
    Koga Sarina JPN 35 10 44 89 39,3% 28,1%
    Braga Guimaraes Gabriela BRA 52 19 49 120 43,3% 27,5%
    Egonu Paola Ogechi ITA 68 31 40 139 48,9% 26,6%
    Baladin Hande TUR 38 15 34 87 43,7% 26,4%
    Gunes Zehra TUR 29 13 22 64 45,3% 25,0%
    Boz Meryem TUR 27 11 31 69 39,1% 23,2%
    Martinez Brayelin Elizabeth DOM 44 18 60 122 36,1% 21,3%
    Ishikawa Mayu JPN 56 26 61 143 39,2% 21,0%
    Peña Isabel Yonkaira Paola DOM 33 16 34 83 39,8% 20,5%
    Larson Jordan USA 36 16 47 99 36,4% 20,2%
    Voronkova Irina RUS 44 23 43 110 40,0% 19,1%
    Moim Mercy KEN 23 11 29 63 36,5% 19,0%
    Kim Heejin KOR 41 16 76 133 30,8% 18,8%
    Kiprono Sharon Chepchumba KEN 45 24 43 112 40,2% 18,8%
    Zhu Ting CHN 34 16 46 96 35,4% 18,8%

So Bosko is eating her alive so far during this tournament.

• I forgot to share a highlight from Marco Claro comments: Egonu is a monster, she showed it in the CL and SuperLega pay off where she had scaring spike effiency. But she is too used to play with a good setter like Wolosz. Ok, Egonu isnt the class of player who needs a perfect set in order to spike, like for example Hill; but her connection with Malinov is off. Yes, there have been some good sets from Malinov and despite of that, Egonu spiked out. Hence, there might be something else :/ Egonu now is playing like in the Grand Prix 2017.

It isnt an excuse at all. Boskovic has had Mirkovic and Elif? (sorry I dont remember her name) through the last season and she is still delivering now. But, she has Maja next to her.

• This is a false narrative (re Egonu and a setter) - Egonu had amazing seasons and tournaments with Carlini or Malinov or anyone. She's just off for now, no reason to overanalyze this, and it is irrelevant to be honest, a real tournament will start against USA and onwards.

• This is a false narrative (re Egonu and a setter) - Egonu had amazing seasons and tournaments with Carlini or Malinov or anyone. She's just off for now, no reason to overanalyze this, and it is irrelevant to be honest, a real tournament will start against USA an onwards.

Carlini should be insulted to be compared to Malinov 😂😂 her best skill is setting the opposite. (Haak, Egonu, Ebrar)

• Carlini should be insulted to be compared to Malinov 😂😂 her best skill is setting the opposite. (Haak, Egonu, Ebrar)

Just a question: with whom SWP has a better connection? Carlini, Hancock or Poulter?

I still think that USA (aka KK) did a huge mistake not bringing SWP. Even more than leaving Carlini out. If he isnt even try Hill (only sub)...

• And Fe Garay: who on Earth said she was done after that horrible WCH 2018 performance by Brazil? She is just gold. She represents what Brazil game has always been: no need of a scoring machine, but team game.

No matter the result, even if Brazil chokes in the end, Garay has been superb this OG. Everyone who watched the last Brazilian Superliga knows how well she's been playing this season, at 35 yo no less. Major props to her and to Zé for sticking with her instead of Natália.

• Just a question: with whom SWP has a better connection? Carlini, Hancock or Poulter?

I still think that USA (aka KK) did a huge mistake not bringing SWP. Even more than leaving Carlini out. If he isnt even try Hill (only sub)...

SWP looked good with Poulter but I think ideally she would be better with Carlini.

Idk. Bringing an OH as a SS and S as a cheerleader…. Just wasteful… especially for the talent that he has at home. His ego is too big

• Egonu is cancelling her points with her errors. She's unstoppable when on fire but when not, she can bring the team down with her errors.

She's somehow like Ebrar imo in terms of consistency. Turkey have Boz to fill in though. Does Italy have a good sub option for opposite?