Korean NT 2021

• According to volleyball officials, Kim Hee-jin and Kim Soo-ji (now IBK Industrial Bank of Korea) are also expected to join the cohort training. The two players are currently participating in training for their teams after recovering from injuries."

That's great news about Heejin's recovery, glad to see she's already in good enough condition to train with her team.

Not too surprised since it was quite expected after seeing their update in the IBK video, but just concerned about how well Heejin's rehab would go.

Problem is... the main issue of the setter & libero on the team like stated in the article isn't solved.

Libero is the biggest issue on defence (as well as the digging capabilities of the other members)

Setter, naturally, plays the most important role of connecting the defence to the attack, while also playmaking for the team.

A good setter can help salvage a poor dig, and also set well to overcome blocks (i.e. creating 1-to-1 scenario) helping weaker/shorter spikers.

• My ideal group for OG:

1. Kim Yeonkoung

2. Lee Soyoung

3. Park Jeongah

4. Jeon Jihyun

5. Kim Dain (yes, I know.. she's the only setter here.. but I DO NOT WANT YEOM HYE SUN)

6. Yang Hyojin

7. Park Eunjin

8. Kim Suji

9. Kim Heejin (or ideally, Kang So Hwi..)

10. Lee Da-hyeon

11. Oh Ji-young (*not ideal but we have no one else, sigh..)

• Hate to say it but I have a strong feeling we'll see Yeum Hyeseon on the list:sos:

Cohort training start today is it? We'll get the full list soon then

• Not sure if you know this but Sohwi cannot make it to the Olympics. She had an ankle surgery and will need more time to recover than Heejin.

(I don't remember where I read this but I believe she'll miss out the Kovo cup as well.)

If Sohwi is well, I bet that she will be a part of of the OG squad but :(.

• Sohwi and Heejin don't play in the same position so we don't have to choose between them. It's more like:

- OH: Jeongah vs Soyoung vs Sohwi if she's there (the other OH is KYK until she retires)

- OP: Heejin vs Jiyun

From the above choices, I believe Jeongah and Heejin are the preferable attackers on the international stage. Yes, they are the older/more experienced players in their respective positions but they are also the tallest. The height gives them much better scoring chance against tall blocks and better blocking ability as well.

In Korea right now, the more senior players are also the taller ones (in general), so it might give an impression that they only use the older players when in fact, I think they're just going with the taller players (of course they have to be good players as well).

• There's no choice to be made between KSH and KHJ at all. If KSH is good to go (which she won't) they'll bring 4 OH (KYK, PJA, LSY, KSH) and 2 OP (KHJ, JJY).

If KSH can't come, the choice will be made between Pyo Seung Joo as the 4th OH or bringing a second libero.

• 16 players will start cohort training from today. Yuk Seoyoung won't be a part of it due to an injury in the VNL.

Heejin and Suji will join, as requested by Lavarini.

As we already know, the deadline for Lavarini to decide the OG squad is on July 5th. The chosen players will also enter the Jincheon Athletes’ Village to continue training on this day.

1, 2, 3.

• So we will find out final 12 players to OG on July 6th..

Please no more injuries to players

• Just saw the news too, good to know Heejin has recovered enough to join the training/selection.

I thought it would be good if Im Myungok could've joined them too, but I guess that didn't happen.

Either she's not recovered yet, or Lavarini just didn't pick her to join.

If Lavarini is really bringing 2 liberos along like he said, she would've been a much better choice than Dahye honestly.

Don't feel like it's worth bringing Dahye along to a stage like the Olympics, perhaps Lavarini might change his mind and bring only 1 libero - after all Soyoung can play as a libero too, she once did before under his coaching in 2019.

• Myungok is still recovering from her injury. No definite news about it though.

Also, as for Heejin, it's been 37 days since her surgery. The article before mentioned that the surgery she took would take her 45 days of rehab, so I hope she won't be overdoing the trainings to much....

• A couple days ago, the KVA posted a notice on their website to recruit a new head coach for the NT starting from the AVC in August.

So it looks like the journey with Lavarini will end after the Olympics.😢

With many of the veterans already shared their plans to retire from the NT, not sure if the KVA will manage to pick someone good for the development of the young players and the rebuilding of the NT. :sos:

• A couple days ago, the KVA posted a notice on their website to recruit a new head coach for the NT starting from the AVC in August.

So it looks like the journey with Lavarini will end after the Olympics.😢

With many of the veterans already shared their plans to retire from the NT, not sure if the KVA will manage to pick someone good for the development of the young players and the rebuilding of the NT. :sos:

Omg;( what about the foreign assistant coach & physical trainer? I just hope they will choose foreign head coach. Perhaps another Italian

• Omg;( what about the foreign assistant coach & physical trainer? I just hope they will choose foreign head coach. Perhaps another Italian

The notice is also for a new assistant coach (currently César Hernández González) and power analyst/scoutman (currently Andrea Biasioli) as well. ;(

The AVC is coming soon. We don't even know if KYK will stay until then or if Sohwi will recover in time. The OH position is the new headache. :sos:

• The AVC is coming soon. We don't even know if KYK will stay until then or if Sohwi will recover in time. The OH position is the new headache. :sos:

AVC doubles as world championship qualifiers this year. Although I think Korea should stay high enough in the rankings to qualify.

• The notice is also for a new assistant coach (currently César Hernández González) and power analyst/scoutman (currently Andrea Biasioli) as well. ;(

The AVC is coming soon. We don't even know if KYK will stay until then or if Sohwi will recover in time. The OH position is the new headache. :sos:

I don't know what criteria KVA is looking for actually because the current coaching team looks good. I like them😢 But maybe the coaches are the one who refuse to sign another contract

KYK said Tokyo will be her last olympic but didn't really pointed out if she would retire completely from NT after that🤔 anyway people should respect her decision if she leave.

When is AVC start?

• But maybe the coaches are the one who refuse to sign another contract

KYK said Tokyo will be her last olympic but didn't really pointed out if she would retire completely from NT after that🤔 anyway people should respect her decision if she leave.

Could be not interested + Korea not able to pay them as much as they command (personally guessing KVA invested more heavily in a good coaching team to aim for Tokyo 2020 medal)

Whoever becomes the coach for AVC, I hope its not Lee Jung Chul again. He was good for IBK on a domestic level, but not for Korea on an international level.

KYK wanted to retire from NT after Olympics 2016 too, wonder if she'd consider going for another round in 2024 (if she's up for it) since the last & main accomplishment she wants from her career is an Olympic medal

Feel like even if her age catches up and her performance drops, she'll still be much better than any other Left on Korea NT even then. But its entirely up to her.

Pretty sure Kim Suji & perhaps Kim Haeran will be retiring from NT before 2024 though sadly (I love Kim Haeran's digs)

• I just hope it's not Korean coach. Only recently volleyball gets so much attention in Korea so who knows how much investment they put in. Imo foreign coach is the best option if they want to rebuild the team. But we're talking about KVA so hard to say:sos:

I don't think KYK will proceed until 2024 even if she does not get her Olympic medal. She's probably tired with all the drama + public's opinion already lol Same goes to Suji, Haeran, Hyojin. Kim Heejin can stay a little longer