Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• His brother said it in an Italian interview (here, there’s a paywall).

Where did she say that? Yuki has no power over JVA blocking them to make sure boys like Ran Takahashi and his bestfriend from Waseda get their placement in Italy first. Not to mention people would scream nepotism if only she got to go while Japan's power ace Koga will stay behind.

Here at page 9 you can find it without paywall, but it's an image so you can't translate it automatically, He said "I think she wants to play outside of Japan but she hasn't decided yet, I told her it would be good for her to go outside of Japan and have this experience" (it's at the very end of the interview).

• Here at page 9 you can find it without paywall, but it's an image so you can't translate it automatically, He said "I think she wants to play outside of Japan but she hasn't decided yet, I told her it would be good for her to go outside of Japan and have this experience" (it's at the very end of the interview).

can you post the image pls i can't view the pdf.

if she and others went overseas it would certainly help with recognition since no one outside of the jp fandom knows who they are. im sure manabe will see to it that they get that opportunity asap

• can you post the image pls i can't view the pdf.

if she and others went overseas it would certainly help with recognition since no one outside of the jp fandom knows who they are. im sure manabe will see to it that they get that opportunity asap

Here!

I do think it would be good for her and other players from Japan in theory and possibly for the clubs that would hire them aswell, as they could get traction on the club and possibly attract sponsors, but I guess it would be a very high risk move for a club to hire them, not only for the height but also a because is a very different style of game and they would have to play with the right setter, sure if they're young they can adapt but I don't know how many teams would take that kind of risk

• Here!

I do think it would be good for her and other players from Japan in theory and possibly for the clubs that would hire them aswell, as they could get traction on the club and possibly attract sponsors, but I guess it would be a very high risk move for a club to hire them, not only for the height but also a because is a very different style of game and they would have to play with the right setter, sure if they're young they can adapt but I don't know how many teams would take that kind of risk

high risk for the club to hire them, nope, cash cows…..

When Japanese TV are showing highlights of Yuki vs. Nishida, that’s a good thing.

• high risk for the club to hire them, nope, cash cows…..

When Japanese TV are showing highlights of Yuki vs. Nishida, that’s a good thing.

It's not the same thing, Nishida has a level of athleticism that allows him to play on a great level despite his height (and I don't see anything similar on Mayu or other youngsters), and Yuki is on the shorter side but still not that short, he also came to Italy when he was very young and before playing as a starter he had if I'm not wrong three seasons being just a barely used bench player on a lower ranking team so not much of a cash cow back then I guess.

I think young japanese players could follow Yuki steps moving while they're still very young and starting as bench players or playing in not as strong leaguesfor a couple of seasons and eventually moving to better teams, but they should find a good agency that pushes them because I don't think low ranking teams would go out of their way to try to sign them in the chance they could become a financial asset in the long term when they can much easily and probably spending less get a 190 american/dutch/serbian/whatever. I do think though that now seeing all the attention Yuki, Nishida (and now very likely Ren) are getting will spark some curiosity on the female side aswell, but it's still sort of a gamble.

• I don't see Mayu playing in top leagues in Italy or Turkey given her height but I would like to see her play in AU in the US if that's even possible. Tashiro seems to be doing well in France and is getting along nicely with her teammates so that could be another destination she'd want to check but someone already posted in the Brazil thread how much of a nightmare it was to play in France so idk.

• I don't see Mayu playing in top leagues in Italy or Turkey given her height but I would like to see her play in AU in the US if that's even possible. Tashiro seems to be doing well in France and is getting along nicely with her teammates so that could be another destination she'd want to check but someone already posted in the Brazil thread how much of a nightmare it was to play in France so idk.

Teams will take players that bring money, we've seen it in soccer, we'll see it again.

Mayu has learned a lot from Yuki because she can see what he's going through, the business portion of the game. She'll be much better off financially, even if she is shorter. She did not get as much of the blow back for the Tokyo Games as the other players. Mayu was not a "leader" of the team and hence not as much was expected.

However, the narrative with the Japanese media will be very easy to follow, Mayu follows big brother overseas. The thing with France is more on the level of the team. Teams are required to say how much you will be paid, it is shown in the team's page in the media guide (maybe not to an individual level, but team level).

Plus, Manabe is wanting players to play overseas to improve. He played overseas in his career, so he understands that better leagues means better players for the national team. Was he complaining about Sano and Kimura playing overseas?

• Speaking of Empress Cup, here's that match where Shimokitazawa Seitoku beat the Tokai Mermaids =O

Seitoku plays Breath Hamamatsu in the first round. Bye bye Hamamatsu

I imagine the prelim rounds of this year's Final Round will be streamed at that site

[Edit] for some reason on a few of those matches I couldn't get a good HD stream, but with a little messing around with stream detectors I was able to DL the 1080p which looks lovely (except for the AI camera work giving it something weird). The sound is pretty awful. It's just in the gym with 4 or 5 matches going on and other weird audio artifacts ...

ps - Sayaka Yokota is starting to look more like her sister Mami

• Here's the translated Empress Cup First Round :

Club Ehime v Kurobe Aqua Floppies

Prestige International Aran Mare v TWCPE

Ryukoku University v SAGA

Saitama Ageo Medics v Artemis Hokkaido

Tsukuba v Brilliant Aries

PFU Bluecats v Fukuoka University

KANOA Fukuoka v Himeji Victorina

JA Gifu Rioreina v NIFS

Kinjo University v Okayama Seagulls

Hitachi Rivale v Hiroshima Oilers

Breath Hamamatsu v Shimokitazawa Seitoku

Toyota Body Queens v Tezukayama University

I smell a few surprises :drink:

I don't understand how they slapped these teams together. For example, Shujitsu HS (reigning HS Champs) is not participating. They won their Prefectural Round, but then the Block Round got canceled. So they pick Hiroshima Oilers to represent Chugoku (Okayama) ? Doesn't seem right :(

• 2021 Empress Cup Participating Teams

V1

JT Marvelous

2020-21 V1・Winner

Toray Arrows

2020-21 V1・Semifinal

NEC Red Rockets

2020-21 V1・3

Denso Airybees

2020-21 V1・4

Saitama Ageo Medics

2020-21 V1・5

Okayama Seagulls

2020-21 V1・6

Hitachi Rivale

2020-21 V1・7

Hisamitsu Springs

2020-21 V1・8

PFU Bluecats

2020-21 V1・9

Victorina Himeji

2020-21 V1・10

Toyota Body Queens

2020-21 V1・11

Kurobe Aqua Floppies

2020-21 V1・12

Hokkaido

Artemis Hokkaido

Block championship

Tohoku (cancel)

Prestige International

Block recommendation

Kanto

TWCPE

Group A championship

Tsukuba

Group B championship

Shimokitazawa Seitoku

Group C championship

Hokushin’etsu (cancel)

Brilliant Aries

Block recommendation

Kinjo University

Block recommendation

Tokai (cancel)

Breath Hamamatsu

Block recommendation

JA Gifu

Block recommendation

Kinki

Tezukayama University

Group A championship

Ryukoku University

Group B championship

Chugoku (cancel)

Hiroshima Oilers

Block recommendation

Shikoku (cancel)

Club Ehime

Block recommendation

Kyushu

NIFS

Group A championship

KANOA Fukuoka

Group B championship

Fukuoka University

Group C championship

The ones with "(cancel)" mean their Block Round was canceled and the Block People just made a recommendation

The 1st Round is 3 set matches. 5 set matches after that

• I don't understand how they slapped these teams together. For example, Shujitsu HS (reigning HS Champs) is not participating. They won their Prefectural Round, but then the Block Round got canceled. So they pick Hiroshima Oilers to represent Chugoku (Okayama) ? Doesn't seem right :(

Which would you prefer winning first round of Haruko or getting bounced in the first round of the Empress Cup?

• Which would you prefer winning first round of Haruko or getting bounced in the first round of the Empress Cup?

I thought HS Champs got automatic in, but I guess that's Uni Champs

• Cherry Blossom Girl 0/9

[Edit] Cherry Blossom Girl out :white:

• #8 Kano Miyaji on Himeji filling in , or switching , to "middle-blocker" is working well. She takes a lot of outside standard OP shots

• I think #3 Taguchi and #13 Endo are the NoSmiler cuties

Wild match. NoSmilers are playing their defense game well but Himeji is playing theirs better. I like matches like this

• Risa Shinabe commentating the OK Himeji match

Let's hear it for the C Ups :!:

• :gone:

Come back :)

This is a good match :box: It's not over 8)

• Kaneda :drink: