Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2021-2022

• Toray played against Kinrankai yesterday :teach:

Oops yeah, they got 22 and 22 and then stole one from Okayama tonight. They play Toyota tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to that :white:

• All right :!: The Beef Tacos were controlling the first set against Saitama and almost gave it away at the end. Came back from 22–24 to 26–24 :cheesy: That's what you like to see :thumbup:

• Kyoko Aoyagi is killing it. I wish there was stats

• So satisfying watching Tokai not get rattled and beat Saitama [26–24, 28–26]. They played with more confidence. Helps when you have a really good setter. Tokai 3rd year #19 Haruko Sasaki ACE. Hard to believe she's only 172cm

• I fell asleep. No idea what happened

• There's just something weird about this club. The fact that so many of them wants to leave since last season is sus. I'm surprised Fumika Moriya hasn't retired yet. If they're going to make big changes they should start by choosing a different captain.

They have 4 NT reps and the money. They could maybe invest in some of the uni girls that performed well.

• I'm not worried about Denso player-wise, but there's got to be something amiss on the back end. Look no further than Nabeya's exit for that

Denso's probably going to have to go full BCS next season, but sadly most teams do that. Beyond that, setter and libero are solid, and that's the best foundation any team can have. Nakamoto and Hyodo are good enough local OHs, and they should/will now have a real OP in Miu/Miumi Yoshida. Add a competent BCS to that and they can be contenders, although Head Coach is a question mark. I think that area was a big drag on them the past few years. I don't really know about coaching but Gen Kawakita always looked confused when games got tight. That's not cool, and it's not comforting

I'm honestly a little concerned and confused with regards to the NT about Manabe's bro-hugging relationship with Kawakita. I don't know what he's going to bring/add to the team. What's his rep for anything?

• 2022.05.01 Day 2 Black Eagle Flag (group match)

Home [-] Away
    Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Total

Hitachi 1–2 Tsukuba

19–25

25–17

19–25

63–67

Denso 2–0 Shujitsu

25–22

26–24

51–46

Okayama 2–1 Kinrankai

25–20

24–26

25–21

74–67

PFU 2–0 NSSU

25–18

25–23

50–41

NEC 2–1 Himeji

22–25

25–19

25–18

72–62

Saitama 0–2 Tokai

24–26

26–28

50–54

Toray 0–2 Toyota

23–25

21–25

44–50

SAGA 2–0 Kurobe

25–19

25–18

50–37

What the heck happened in that Toyota/Toray match? Toray karma for playing a two meter BCS against a group of high school students the day before?

Replays are available (all four matches in one seven hour stream for each court):

C Court

D Court

Big shout out to this Mainichi group, and apologies for doubting them. This is a first for the Kuroshawiki to be broadcast live, and I'm loving it :drink:

• Exciting matches for tonight:

Group A:

Depending on which Toyota team shows up ...

... If Toyota beats Kinrankai, not a given, Okayama could send Toray home. Wow

Actually this group is really complicated and I don't know how the tie breakers work. And I'm not into spending any more time gaming the possible scenarios

Group B:

Nothing there. SAGA and PFU advance

Group C:

Himeji / Tsukuba. Loser goes home. I may need medication for watching this one. I want Tsukuba to win because they've given me a new love, and it would be two Uni teams advancing, but it'll be a big blow to Himeji they don't need

Group D:

Tokai Beef Tacos advance ... :woohoo:

... Saitama / Denso. Loser goes home

• Watched a set and a half of the Toray/Toyota match and gave up because it was so not entertaining. I don't know how Toyota won the match. They didn't play well and they didn't score any points. Maybe it was reverse jinx for calling out the Cherry Blossom Girl Curse. She started and they won but I think Kinrankai beats Toyota tonight

Of course, at 23–23 in the first set Toray service errored and then line faulted to lose the set. There was a lot of that kind of thing going on

I wish I would have watched it and been able to say "yeah, Toyota's still got it" ... but, alas :white:

• Tsukuba 27–25 Himeji --- Set one

Where are my meds :cheesy:

Saki Tanaka is being difficult

I think Haruka Oyama 大山遼 might actually be Ryo Oyama? I've never seen it Latinized and thought I took it from Haruka Miyashita 宮下遥 ... being a one character given name, but apparently not. brahmin , any guess?

• Tsukuba and their middle blocker who never leaves the court

Sorry Himeji :white:

• I think the quarterfinals are going to pit the two Uni teams against one another. On the plus side it means that one of them will advance to the semifinals. On the downside I think it will be Beef Tacos

... trying to get out front here with a little early reverse jinx 8)

• Toyota's uniform shorts make them look like they crapped their pants :what:

• NSSU is such a fun team. Everybody swings like they super mean it. #7 Saki Ishikura has one of those long, super fast approaches that's delightful . Meguro clan member at MB. Seems bigger and goofier than her sisters.