S.Korea - 2021-2022 V-League (Women)

• Kofudakji here is some news about the tryout applicants from News1.

There were some speculations that Diouf and Lutz would apply but both end up not reapplying. Bruna Moraes and Rebecca Latham have put down their name again.

From the source article, it was noted that the chance of contract renewal was high for Yaasmeen BEDART and Laetitia MOMA BASSOKO. Katherine BELL and Elizabet VARGA received relatively decent evaluations in the V-League and both have also reapplied. Kelsie PAYNE has reapplied too but it is likely that she will not return to South Korea as she wants to play on a bigger stage.

Some of the new names mentioned in the article are Nia Reed (USA), Ivonne Montaño (Colombia), Caroline Livingston (Canada), and Tuğba Şenoğlu (Turkey).

Source: 1

• News Update

GS Caltex Seoul KIXX today announced that they reached new 3-year contract agreements with both AN Hye-Jin [S] and YOO Seo-Yeun [OH] for a total of 280M KRW (approx. USD $230K) and 250M KRW (approx. USD $205.4K) per year respectively.

AN Hye-Jin's new contract annual salary is 200M KRW (approx. USD $164.3K) and options of 80M KRW (approx. USD $65.7K).

YOO Seo-Yeun's new contract annual salary is 150M KRW (approx. USD $123.2K) and options of $100M KRW (approx. USD $82.1K).

Sources: 1, 2, 3

• I agreed with Kofudakji. Peppers have to offer more to players as compensation for them going to a team that will not be fighting for the championship.

AN Hye-Jin did settle for less to stay with GS Caltex. According to The Spike, Hye-Jin did receive a better offer from another team where she could have received more than double her previous annual salary of 150M KRW. Source: 1

• According to The Spike, Hye-Jin did receive a better offer from another team where she could have received more than double her previous annual salary of 150M KRW. Source: 1

Guess that must've been Pepper, good enough for me knowing that they did try to recruit Hyejin with a similar offer at least.

but i do think Ahn Hye Jin settle for less in order to stay in GS and take a shot for championship next year.

Props to her since it seems very likely to be true.

GS isnt bad but I don't know if they're championship level... playoffs yes, but can't see them as #1

Still, definitely better than losing basically every single match in Pepper

Can Sohwi and Seoyeon manage to step up further?

• News Update

Hyundai E&C Hillstate has announced today that they have signed new contracts with YANG Hyo-Jin [MB], GO Ye-Rim [OH], LEE Na-Yeon [S], and KIM Ju-Ha [Li].

The team franchise star YANG Hyo-Jin took a pay cut for the team, signing a 3-year contract for a total of 1.5B KRW (approx. USD $1.23M). The new contract's annual salary is 350M KRW (approx. USD $287.1K) and annual options of 150M KRW (approx. USD $123K).

Outside hitter GO Ye-Rim's new 3-year contract is for a total of 816M KRW (approx. USD $669.4K). Her new contract's annual salary is 220M KRW (approx. USD $180.5K) and annual options of 52M KRW (approx. USD $42.7K).

Backup setter LEE Na-Yeon's new 3-year contract is for a total of 495M KRW (approx. USD $406.1K) with an annual salary of 100M KRW (approx. USD $82K) and annual options of 65M KRW (approx. USD $53.3K)

Backup libero KIM Ju-Ah's new 2-year contract is for a total of 170M KRW (approx. USD $139.5K) with an annual salary of 70M KRW (approx. USD $57.4K) and annual options of 15M KRW (approx. USD $12.3K)

Sources: 1, 2, 3

• Wow that is a very generous 200K per year pay cut Yang Hyojin took for the sake of Hillstate, did it have to be fixed at 3 years though I wonder?

With Dahyun around she can definitely rest more, or perhaps Hillstate will be providing her more through endorsements outside.

Since Hillstate kept their line-up and Yasmeen is likely to re-contract, as long as covid doesn't hit again, very high chance for Hillstate to win the championships.

I do feel pay cuts can be a bit "unfair" (of course, also sacrificial) since it makes the league less balanced (the whole purpose of salary caps), but I'm glad Yerim stayed at Hillstate since it suits her well.

Hipass kept Im Myoung Ok and has their main attackers, but they lost an experienced setter. Their next season will be dependent on rookie setter and foreigner draft.

I think GS can achieve #2 or #3, but can't see them winning as of yet.

• How is Pink Spiders' roster like by the way?
    I recall last season they were under a certain required percentage of fulfilling their salary cap (since twins totalling 1MIL were off their roster last minute) but they were spared the penalty

It doesn't seem like they managed to attract anyone to the club this FA period too, so how will they deal with that this season?

• 2022 KOVO Free Agent (FA) Results

TeamPlayerFA Group2022 FA Remuneration
    [= annual salary + option]
    Annual SalaryOptionTransfer
    GS CaltexYOO Seo-YeunA250M
    150M100MNo Change
    AN Hye-JinA280M
    200M80MNo Change
    Heungkuk Life Insurance
    KIM Da-SolB120M110M10MNo Change
    IBK AltosPYO Seung-JuA282.1M
    250M32.1MNo Change