Serbian Women's NT 2023

• We're skipping Maja way too easy here

And dont forget that i am serbian, i love Maja. For me she is the best serbian setter in history and best setter of all time, the magician. There is no one who watched more time Maja compilations on YT than me :lol:

But we need to be realistic, i think that even Maja know that team play perfect with Bojana.

• When her (Maja's) husband tweeted congratulations to the team for winning WCH, a Serbian user said something to the effect: "Maja was missed", he responded "No, she very obviously wasn't, thankfully. But thank you for kind words".

• Its not the same playing against Minas and Praia and playing Poland, USA and Brasil in that order :)

You said she can't play 3 matches in a row, which is simply incorrect. Swap Minas and Praia there with Vakifbank and Conegliano (which she played as well) and it's completely different

Anywayyy needless to say I like Drca a lot too and the idea of her as starting setter with Ognjenovic as sub in Paris is great in my opinion. Might be the perfect solution even. It's just that saying that Maja is 4 years past her prime and Drca being better than her is too much for me

• If by "for a while" you mean her whole career, then yeah. That she managed to do it without breaking psychologically (let alone coming up with such a performance when she was finally given the chance), also speaks extremelly well of her. Antonijevic, only a year older than Bojana, already gave up on the job of being Maja's (rarely used) understudy by her mid 20s. I can't blame her. It's a thankless and tough task. Always being the ugly duckling to Maja's princess, always being judged (by the world and by yourself even) as less worthy; as not good enough. It's enough to break the strongest of wills.

I myself always considered her a workingman-like setter to Maja's artist. And here's the thing: for most of her career, she was. How much of that was the pressure and the inferiority complex holding her back from achieving her true potential, none of us (maybe even herself) can answer.

Okay but let’s not even compare Antonijevic in her prime, with Zivkovic… because Bojana is not even close

• Okay but let’s not even compare Antonijevic in her prime, with Zivkovic… because Bojana is not even close

That's true (with allowance for "not even close" being something of a hyperbole). But then, that only makes Bojana's achievement all the more impressive, because inferiority complex would have been so much stronger in her case than Ana's.

• That's true (with allowance for "not even close" being something of a hyperbole). But then, that only makes Bojana's achievement all the more impressive, because inferiority complex would have been so much stronger in her case than Ana's.

Well on the contrary.. Ana knew she was almost as good/better as/than Maja, so never getting a chance ruined her self confidence and motivation. Bojana knew her place, that her skills are simply subpar compared to Maja, and her mentality was ‘happy to be there’ as a sub.

• Daily dose of coincidence

New serbian NT coach will arrive in serbia for CL group stage match

He is current champions league champion

He will play against reining serbian champion

He will have Paola Egonu in his team

He just lose world club championships

He will face Tijana Vrcelj

Well rest of the story we all know :)

• Bojana played good in WC but she is not top setter in the world imo.

• I've been trying to parse this post for 5 minutes, and for the life of me I can't figure out, as the saying goes, what the author was trying to say.:lol::P

• Well on the contrary.. Ana knew she was almost as good/better as/than Maja, so never getting a chance ruined her self confidence and motivation. Bojana knew her place, that her skills are simply subpar compared to Maja, and her mentality was ‘happy to be there’ as a sub.

Broadly, you are making a good point, but "better than Maja"? Come on, not even YOU can truly believe that...:box:;)

• You slept through the last year :down:

Okay, but you could just explain for the sleepers and slow-witted among us...

• Okay, but you could just explain for the sleepers and slow-witted among us...

1.New serbian NT coach will arrive in serbia for CL group stage match

2.He is current champions league champion

3.He will play against reining serbian champion

4.He will have Paola Egonu in his team

5.He just lose world club championships

6.He will face Tijana Vrcelj

1.last year Ub vs Conegliano, now Crvena Zvezda vs Vakifbank

2.last year Conegliano was defending champion, now is Vakifbank

3.last year Ub was serbian defending champion, now is Crvena Zvezda

4.Egonu played for Santarelli last year, now for Guidetti

5.last year Conegliano lose wcch, same thing happens to Vakif this year

6. Tijana Vrcelj played for Ub last year, she is now in Crvena Zvezda

• Broadly, you are making a good point, but "better than Maja"? Come on, not even YOU can truly believe that...:box:;)

Maybe is controversial from this point, but actually i can agree with that.

For sure Maja's peak >>> Antonijevic peak, there is no such comparation, but the time when Antonijevic was at her best (2010 - 2014) she was at least good as Maja at that time.

• Maybe is controversial from this point, but actually i can agree with that.

For sure Maja's peak >>> Antonijevic peak, there is no such comparation, but the time when Antonijevic was at her best (2010 - 2014) she was at least good as Maja at that time.

I can agree with that. But notice what we are saying: Antonijevic, when she was at her peak, was about as good as Maja when she was at her lowest point (I don't need to remind you, but for the sake of others, it should be pointed out that the first half of that period was when Maja was in what we can now recognise as an unhealthy relationship with basketball player Milos Teodosic, to whom she was willing to play second fiddle and sacrifice much of her potential to make their relationship work).

• I can agree with that. But notice what we are saying: Antonijevic, when she was at her peak, was about as good as Maja when she was at her lowest point (I don't need to remind you, but for the sake of others, it should be pointed out that the first half of that period was when Maja was in what we can now recognise as an unhealthy relationship with basketball player Milos Teodosic, to whom she was willing to play second fiddle and sacrifice much of her potential to make their relationship work).

Yes, never denied anything of that, but here it was discussed a completely different matter, not only what you wrote does not change the fact that Antonijevic was as good as she was, it even more justifies her position in refusing to be Maja's back up at that time (truly later also influenced by injuries) and represents a clear difference in relation to Drca's position you spoke about (in the desire to express how great her success is, which she definitely deserved).