Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2023/24

• While that's true, I would say here that it's important that they keep playing at all. Unfortunately, the end of your career often comes when they can't find a club in Germany.

Some players changed into new second pro league too (for example Neuhaus).

• Some players changed into new second pro league too (for example Neuhaus).

That's right. Flacht, Erfurt and also Straubing have signed players from the first league who probably wouldn't have found a new club there. Above all in Erfurt and Straubing, this also shows that there is already a will to go back up to the top league.

• The same article also confirms Leana Grozer signed a pro contract. Fleur Savelkoel won't be ready for the start of the season.

This depth will allow Bock to play libero sometimes I guess...

I heard Emonts just signed for 4 months until Savelkoel is fit again but the press release said nothing about it...

• I heard Emonts just signed for 4 months until Savelkoel is fit again but the press release said nothing about it...

It would certainly be a win-win situation for both sides, I guess Emonts might have an option to leave in winter if another club is in need of an OH due to injuries which certainly will be the case somewhere.

• Regulations for the new 2nd league Pro were announced: Teams are obliged to accept promotion to 1st league after 3 years in 2nd league Pro, teams that got relegated from 1st league have to accept promotion already in the first year. If I understand this correctly this means Erfurt and Straubing would be forced to play 1st league next season if one of them becomes champion of 2nd league Pro :what:

Besides there are regulations for German players: half of the team registered for a match has to consist of German players, two have to be under 23 and two German players always have to be on court. Clubs will receive financial rewards for letting U23 players actually play.

• If I understand this correctly this means Erfurt and Straubing would be forced to play 1st league next season if one of them becomes champion of 2nd league Pro :what:

You understand that correctly. But both Erfurt and Straubing also have the option not to move up. That just means that they would have to pay a deposit, which – not to go into too much depth now – they will get back later. If desired, we can also break down the regulations in more detail.

• Today there was also a public training session in Suhl, which also included a test match between VfB Suhl and Schwarz-Weiß Erfurt. From Suhl's Instagram stories you can see that Erfurt won the first set 29:27. VfB Suhl secured the second set quite clearly with 25:17. Then there was at least a third set, but the result cannot be read from the stories.

Especially with regard to the 2nd Bundesliga Pro there are more interesting test matches this weekend and next. Tomorrow, August 26, 2023, a test match tournament will take place in the Dresden sports center with the two participants in the 2nd Pro League, VCO Dresden and ESA Grimma Volleys, as well as SV Energie Cottbus, which has been promoted to the 2nd Bundesliga North via wildcard. A week later, on September 1, 2003, there will be a friendly between Schwarz-Weiß Erfurt and ESA Grimma Volleys in Gera. This game is particularly interesting because a short time later this game will also be the probable duel in the final of the East Regional Cup for entry into the DVV Cup.

• Regulations for the new 2nd league Pro were announced: Teams are obliged to accept promotion to 1st league after 3 years in 2nd league Pro, teams that got relegated from 1st league have to accept promotion already in the first year. If I understand this correctly this means Erfurt and Straubing would be forced to play 1st league next season if one of them becomes champion of 2nd league Pro :what:

Besides there are regulations for German players: half of the team registered for a match has to consist of German players, two have to be under 23 and two German players always have to be on court. Clubs will receive financial rewards for letting U23 players actually play.

I do like the second part, but coaches should have their passport knowledge ready when making substitutions. ;) I would have preferred limiting the licences regarding players not eligible for German-NT, so the coaches don’t have to consider passports when working on the best lineup of the team.

I think the whole idea with creating this new 2nd league may start to backfire soon. It kind of cannibalised the 1st league and in the light of the financial troubles with Dresden, Wiesbaden and other teams and now the doom looming in Potsdam: If there is one more team folding in the Bundesliga the domino effect may be taking some other clubs down as well. And with maybe 6-7 teams left in the Bundesliga this „2nd Pro“ won’t make any sense…

I hope none of this will happen, but the next step of the licensing process in September might be very thrilling.

• I do like the second part, but coaches should have their passport knowledge ready when making substitutions. ;) I would have preferred limiting the licences regarding players not eligible for German-NT, so the coaches don’t have to consider passports when working on the best lineup of the team.

I think the whole idea with creating this new 2nd league may start to backfire soon. It kind of cannibalised the 1st league and in the light of the financial troubles with Dresden, Wiesbaden and other teams and now the doom looming in Potsdam: If there is one more team folding in the Bundesliga the domino effect may be taking some other clubs down as well. And with maybe 6-7 teams left in the Bundesliga this „2nd Pro“ won’t make any sense…

I hope none of this will happen, but the next step of the licensing process in September might be very thrilling.

I expect at least Dresden and Potsdam to manage the trouble and hope so too for Wiesbaden, IMHO in worst case one more team will come down. This moment with new second league pro may seem a little problematic for now, but in the next few years it will pay off well, I think.

• I think the situation in Potsdam has the potential to become the most threatening one. The possibility of tax evasion is quite a serious thing.

https://www.rbb24.de/sport/bei…e-steuer-toni-rieger.html

Because the financial authority didn't signal issues so far, I don't think this as being the main threat. If social payments were not done, this sitution might be more complex, but we can't say anything for sure, it seems.

• There are major risks for Wiesbaden, regarding finances and license of the team, regretfully details are behind a paywall:

https://www.wiesbadener-kurier…-den-vc-wiesbaden-2792922

I could sidestep the paywall now and at least read the most important details:

they plan with a 1.7 mio. Euro budget for this season 2023/24 including CEV Challenge Cup, the VBL proposed to reduce it by omitting two players or so, but Wiesbaden is IMHO right, to decline that proposal. Sponsors are hesitating to give guarantees in this economically not so easy time... the state capital of Hesse is likely to support anyway like in the past, I think. Financial issues are also reported from Vilsbiburg (which is a concern) and Neuwied (which is no concern IMHO, because due to lack of competitiveness nobody would miss them). Anyway, we will learn more about all these licensing topics including Dresden and Potsdam on first September.

• The level of competitiveness isn’t of concern. In a league already this small every team will be missed, not only because of missing revenue from ticket sales. Especially the smaller teams need the games in general to have substantial media coverage.

I think you overestimate this: there are two kinds of tickets, season tickets (where it doesn't matter for anybody) and tickets for single matches, the last have a rather low incentive for selling against teams like Neuwied, which are no threat for any other team in the league. I am sure not only in Stuttgart you can easily see this effect, that the latter are nearly not sold and essentially the season ticket holders and some sponsor driven visitors remain at those matches. So they have no remarkable influence on overall budgets.

• I think the situation in Potsdam has the potential to become the most threatening one. The possibility of tax evasion is quite a serious thing.

https://www.rbb24.de/sport/bei…e-steuer-toni-rieger.html

With my very limited knowledge about such issues and legal consequences, this sure sounds threatening. As the article says it also explains the departure of Laura Emonts...

For years and years VBL has been trying (with some good and some bad ideas) to improve the level of the league, but right now it seems like they should rather take care to assure the survival of the league :white:

• I do like the second part, but coaches should have their passport knowledge ready when making substitutions. ;) I would have preferred limiting the licences regarding players not eligible for German-NT, so the coaches don’t have to consider passports when working on the best lineup of the team.

At the moment, no coach of the 2. Bundesliga Pro needs to know the nationality of his player by heart. Because the Skurios Volleys Borken, which is the team with the most foreigners, have four foreigners. Therefore, no incorrect changes are currently to be expected.