Korean Women's NT 2023

• But for real though, I don't understand why the veterans have retired so soon

Not just KYK but the veterans all did so together

Of course that wouldn't have been an issue if the twins were still around, but since they aren't (and are probably unlikely to), would've been more merciful if they had continued for 1-2 more years

Korea really fumbled the ball on their transition. If the twins were around they could at least be a middling group. Right now, only Park Jeong Ah, Kang Sowhi, Yeum Hye Seon, and Pyo Seungju survived in the National team (Heejin and Soyoung are out since they are both in rehabilitation), all of which are technically bench players from Korea's 2018-2020 heyday.

And I'm sorry but why is Yeum Hye Seon always starting :'(. If this is training they could at least let Dain play.

TnZT4oS.png

It's so weird to me also that the best players in Korea aren't playing in the national team. Like only 1 out of the Best 7 players in the last season are playing (Dain being a new addition).

But tbh, I'm seeing a better rhythm with them right now compared to the last VNL. But they need to change up some of the players here so they can have a chance.

• Just finished the match, and I will say this is tons better than their performance last time. Better rhythm, and better plays.

But I'll be honest, I feel like Park Jeong Ah is a bit of a liability here. She's not making strong attacks and she's got really bad passing. Even Pyo Seung Ju is looking good here. In Hi-Pass, she barely receives since they've made Moon Jungwon a receiving opposite.

Since she's the captain, maybe they can make her the Opposite? She's played as one before anyway.

On a positive note, I really like Jeong Ji Hyun. She's growing to be pretty dependable in attacking. But she needs to be a better passer if they plan to make her into an OH in the future. Her performance as an Opposite is also quite good.

Overall, if they can keep this kind of performance, I think they can win some matches in VNL *fingers crossed*

• I thought so too....I watched live last night for a set and half, before falling asleep around 2am. I remember Korea leading in set 2. The score of 24-26 in set 3 indicates the entire match could have been closer... what changed in set 3 ?

Overall, if they can keep this kind of performance, I think they can win some matches in VNL *fingers crossed*

I hope they can :)

I thought so too....I watched live last night for a set and half, before falling asleep around 2am. I remember Korea leading in set 2. The score of 24-26 in set 3 indicates the entire match could have been closer... what changed in set 3 ?

Well, Turkiye did allow some of their bench players to play in this set so there was an uptick in errors. But I think Korea also improved their passing in this set, leading to some better plays.

• So Korea and Canada match will happen tonight. I'd say there is a 30 - 70 chance that Korea can defeat Canada (30% being Korea).

Gray, Maglio, and Howe are really doing wonders with the team despite not having Van Ryk and Cross. I think Korea needs to step up with their attackers as only Jeong Ji Hyun is performing well. Also, they really need to start using Dain. Let's not forget their match with Turkey; in typical Yeum fashion, she oversets in a match point. :hit:At least let the girl practice.

I think also, maybe Pyo Seungju can start the game instead of Park Jeong Ah. I'm sorry but the girl only scored 6 points in 3 straight sets. Pyo Seungju makes at least three points at least in 1 set and is a huge help in defense (I know a lot of Korean team fans don't like Seungju but I always thought she's a bit more level-headed than Park Jeong Ah and Kang Sowhi - despite her "average-ness").

Hoping for an upward slope with the Korean team :super: (Don't know if I can watch it yet again, as this Turkiye time is playing at midnight in my country lol).

• I’m a bit more optimistic .....I’m going for 45-55 with Canada still having an edge.

:lol:

• I’m a bit more optimistic .....I’m going for 45-55 with Canada still having an edge.

:lol:

Well, I'd rather not be disappointed lol but I can see that too if certain factors in the game come to play.

I think Korea has some advantages like Canada is going to be playing their 3rd game in 3 straight days, while Korea is only about to play their 2nd game. I think Korea can also outserve Canada but it depends on their mindset (they were having a lot of errors by the end of their match with Turkey).

• Just finished watching the match against Canada.

What's really frustrating is that I don't think a lot of people realize that they don't even play like this in the Korean league. It's like watching rookies. The passing in this team is just absolutely terrible. Also, absolutely no hustle, no killer instinct, and no drive at all in the 1st and 2nd sets.

They started doing better in the 3rd set when Dain was starting, and Pyo Seung Ju and Kim Mi Yeon started playing. The passing was better and the attacks are faster and more aggressive. The downside though is that the middles have a better connection with Yeum than with Dain. Sadly, they just can get things going whenever they make errors.

I also think the coach needs to be evaluated here. I think what the Korean National Team needs is someone who can drive the players to work. Even on Korean youtube, people are saying that Lee Jung Chul should come back (maybe terrorize Park Jeong Ah again lol). Coach Cesar is just too soft; he isn't like Lavarini who isn't afraid to show frustration. Also, the constant line-up changes during the set make him seem unsure of which player to use.

I hope in the next matches, they start using the players who played in the third set. Dain will only improve and gain experience from this. Pyo Seungju, Kim Miyeon, and Jeong Jiyun should start as well to reinforce attacking and defense. Other than that I don't know what else this team can do.

Maybe watching this team play will awaken something in Kim Yeon Koung and have her play for the NT again (I mean, Jordan Larson will still play for the NT). Also, KVA needs to start having balls and let the twins play already. 2 years is enough. Might as well have sent them both to prison if they are going to socially shun them.

• Just finished watching the match against Canada.

What's really frustrating is that I don't think a lot of people realize that they don't even play like this in the Korean league. It's like watching rookies. The passing in this team is just absolutely terrible. Also, absolutely no hustle, no killer instinct, and no drive at all in the 1st and 2nd sets.

Maybe watching this team play will awaken something in Kim Yeon Koung and have her play for the NT again (I mean, Jordan Larson will still play for the NT). Also, KVA needs to start having balls and let the twins play already. 2 years is enough. Might as well have sent them both to prison if they are going to socially shun them.

Korea plays better in Korean league because their opponents are weaker (no finisher except foreign players), shorter and the same players they're always playing against - so they are familiar with them

I don't know why the veterans (who are not even 35 yet) are doing nothing to return after last year's disgrace at the VNLs. Even Lee Hyo Hee (40 yo) returned to NT multiple times when the setters were down and injured.

I agree with the notion that the younger generation needs a chance to step up, but since they already banished the twins, then at least call back the veterans.

LJY could potentially return but LDY likely won't be - what's stopping them isn't KVA but KYK fans who make up 95% of volleyball fans in Korea lol

• I don't know why the veterans (who are not even 35 yet) are doing nothing to return after last year's disgrace at the VNLs. Even Lee Hyo Hee (40 yo) returned to NT multiple times when the setters were down and injured.

I agree with the notion that the younger generation needs a chance to step up, but since they already banished the twins, then at least call back the veterans.

LJY could potentially return but LDY likely won't be - what's stopping them isn't KVA but KYK fans who make up 95% of volleyball fans in Korea lol

I agree that they should at least consider returning. I remember also Fe Garay still played last Olympics (2021) and she was 35, same with Jordan Larson who announced she's returning to the NT (she'll be 37 by the next Olympics). Maybe KYK went as a consultant also to assess if she should return (wishful thinking) - or just to also help the new generation of players.

• I agree that they should at least consider returning. I remember also Fe Garay still played last Olympics (2021) and she was 35, same with Jordan Larson who announced she's returning to the NT (she'll be 37 by the next Olympics). Maybe KYK went as a consultant also to assess if she should return (wishful thinking) - or just to also help the new generation of players.

What exactly is an "advisor role" to be frank..........?

• Isn't it kinda iconic that Korea can extend a set point with Turkey and USA?

Or should I say their mediocrity is allowing the top teams to relax a bit lol

Anyway, I don't even have anything to say about Thailand vs. Korea match. I love these two teams so I'm rooting for both (although let's get real here, Thailand is gonna eat Korea).

• korea did already quitted grand prix I wonder if they would do the same with vnl

• Honestly I wish Korea could improve and start winning matches/ decent sets in VNL again before the core team system changes and manage to remain

Regardless it's one of few Asian teams and one I follow, so I want them to stay in. But definitely not in their current state.

Unfortunately I don't see any change or hope from (even) younger players unless veterans return to play or they have the twins back to lead the team