Asian Women’s Volleyball Updates, Events and Discussions

• These girls are looking awfully sweaty on the court. The commentators were wondering if the Japanese would be ready for the heat

At another point, when one of the floor wipers was taking care of business, one of the Japanese players took the towel out of her back end and helped him. The commentators giggled a little bit at it, even the crowd seemed to enjoy it. The dude commentator said "That's weird having a towel tucked into the back of your shorts" and laughed. LOL It's very common in Japan. Most of the players have a towel on them and wipe the floor often

I saw that, she took the small towel from a little pouch attached to the inside of her pants... pretty handy isn't it? Wonder what else she has in there?

Question to any ladies reading this (men also) if you had one of those what else would you put in there ? 🤔

• If you look at the Semifinals Ranking and Match Results in Wikipedia, The Creamline Cool Smashers (I love that name <3) are 3–0 in the ranking but in the Match Results they have played only two matches--and they are scheduled to play two more (for a total of four). Kurashiki is scheduled to play five matches. So is it like in the Japanese League where teams get "advantage points" going into the playoffs because they won something earlier?

[Edit] Must be this:

Semifinals

1. Teams from the same pool will carry over their head-to-head record.

but I don't understand how that works ?(:/?(

• Since this is the Asian volleyball forum, here’s A bit about Australian volleyball.

Volleyball was not very popular when I first arrived in Australia in the 70’s. Players and teams then mostly comes from European ethnicities that has family background in playing volleyball!

In my time there were ethnic based teams like Vostok from Russia, the Greeks ‘Olympic’, Lebanese Cedars, etc.

My University NSW team was most cosmopolitan!! 2 Czechs, one Ukrainian, one Estonian, one Brazilian and one Malaysian!! 😆. The style of play was mainly European based, high sets to the side positions 4 and 2. My UNSW was the first team to employ the short balls through the middle and dummy combinations to break up the big blockers.

Volleyball is wholly an amateur sport to this very day and the better more athletic Aussies sportspersons are obviously not attracted to this sport.

However, Volleyball’s popularity in Australia has experienced a positive surge, captivating both sports enthusiasts and casual participants.

Australian national teams have achieved remarkable success in international competitions, solidifying the sport’s reputation and inspiring aspiring players. The triumphs of teams such as the Australian Volleyball Team (The Volleyroos) and the Australian Beach Volleyball Team have elevated the profile of volleyball in the country, attracting a growing fan base and further fuelling interest.

The Australian men’s team is currently ranked No. 37 in the world.

• 3 conferences per year:

All Filipino / Open Conference - All Filipino; longest conference
    Invitational Conference - Filipino Club teams with 2 invited foreign teams starting semifinals
    Reinforced Conference - teams will have one (or 2 depending on rules for the year) foreign player

Do these have any rank in terms of prestige, or whatever you might call it?

I just watched the Cargo Movers v Cool Smashers match and am trying to wrap my head around how this regular ol' League SF match has 7,000 in attendance going completely nuts. Kind of an odd match with sets 1 and 2 being lopsided by one team and then the other. Set 3 was tight and then set 4 built to an unbelievable 30–28 crescendo. Too bad F2 just fell apart in the Tie Break

• Do these have any rank in terms of prestige, or whatever you might call it?

I just watched the Cargo Movers v Cool Smashers match and am trying to wrap my head around how this regular ol' League SF match has 7,000 in attendance going completely nuts.

I don’t think there is a defined ranking or what but I would say fans generally thinks All Filipino is the most prestigious given that it is the showdown of locals and the longest tournament among the three. Reinforced is interesting given bottom local teams can move up if they get the best foreign player. Invitational is the least because it’s just a short tournament.

Cool Smashers (Creamline) vs Cargo Movers (F2) will always fill the stands regardless if it’s SF or a preliminary round match. It’s an anticipated rivalry match for a lot of reasons :lol: There used to be 2 rival leagues in the PHI, PVL and PSL. Creamline are the PVL Champions and F2 are the PSL Champions, so it’s always a fun matchup. Also, their core players before also came from the biggest rival universities in our collegiate league so collegiate fan wars are carried over to the pros :dance6:

• KURASHIKI ABLAZE vs CIGNAL HD SPIKERS

2023 PVL INVITATIONAL CONFERENCE | JULY 24, 2023

• Some of Kurashiki's free ball passing makes my eyes hurt.

This is their main setter, very calming. That #16 who came in for a bit and went 4/4, I think, was their main scorer in Summer League

• I don't Kurashiki's OP #2 can jump as high as the net. It's like she has no choice but to hit it off the block :lol:

• There wasn't 7,000 people watching that match :lol:

• all our favourite players are here

Missing Setter Doan Thi Lam Oanh :(

I still don't get Vietnamese names :white: What would the informal, friendly way of referring to her be? Doan? Do I need two of the names to avoid confusion

Pham (?) is a fashionista type. Has good google image search results :rose:

Kieu (?) is the most serious