S.Korea - 2024-2025 V-League (Women)

• GS Caltex lost a lot of their players during this off season

- Kang Sohwi (OH) - FA to Hipass (5.5)

- Choi Eunji (MB) - FA to PS (0.9)

- Han Dahye (Li) - FA to AI Pepper (1.3)

- Han Suji (MB) - retire (2.6)

- Jung Daeyeong - retire (3)

+ Kim Juhyang (OH) previously 1.16, but likely increased due to FA

This clears up 13.3억 (1,330mil krw) from their salary payout excluding Kim Juhyang

Though they will receive 2 compensation players for the Tier A FA players they lost, none will be star players who draw a large salary

(Choi Eunji was drawing a much lower salary than I expected)

I wonder if GS is receiving less financial support which was why they changed their head coach, and lost Sohwi to FA market

Or perhaps they did try but Hipass spoilt the market by offering her max 800K - which does not equate to her output at all...
    I would only rate Sohwi at 600-650K max even with the salary inflation going on

Wonder if GS will recruit any new players through trade or if they will have a salary cap deficit like IBK did

(But Lee Young Taek though... a coach who had Diouf, Yeum & Oh Jiyoung with decent MBs, yet always ranked 5th or 6th place with KGC)

• Wow, they lost a lot, especially MBs. They used to have the best selection of MBs previously with Kim Yuri and Han Sooji.

I wonder if GS is receiving less financial support which was why they changed their head coach, and lost Sohwi to FA market

Or perhaps they did try but Hipass spoilt the market by offering her max 800K - which does not equate to her output at all...
    I would only rate Sohwi at 600-650K max even with the salary inflation going on

I don't know if they are struggling financially though. I thought GS Caltex was an oil company :white:

Their performance wasn't notoriously bad either - they consecutively won the KOVO Cup in 2022 and 2023.

Their coach is also nothing exceptional though, I remember he also coached in Indonesia where his team ranked 7th in the league. He's got some HUGE shoes to fill if he even wants to achieve what Cha Sanghyun did. Or maybe GS Caltex should have tried a foreign coach. :whistle:

• GS Caltex selected their compensation players from Hipass & AI Pepper

- Choi Gaeun / MB (source)

- Seo Chaewon / MB (source)

Both are middle blockers to reinforce the loss of their retired MBs, however they are still lacking a replacement OH for Kang Sohwi

Pink Spiders selected Im Hyerim / MB for their compensation player from IBK (source)

Guess she'll be a direct replacement for Lee Juah

Now that GS has selected their compensation players, the rough estimate of their salary spending is still well below the 2,900,000 salary cap, currently almost half of that at 1,500,000+ (but still >50%)

If it were under 50% of Salary Cap, GS Caltex will face a penalty, not sure if that percentage has changed since. Also not sure if the 50% corresponds to Total Salary or Salary+Option

Some players may have adjusted salaries for next season + new rookie players, but the change/difference will be insignificant.

They severely need to recruit an OH player, their current best is Yoo Seoyeon averaging 7.1 points/game.

But FA market has closed and it does not seem likely they can get a player through trade.

• Han Songyi retires from professional volleyball.

I remember back in 2012 she was a key player, along with KYK and Jung Dae Young, in defeating Italy at the semi-final match for the London Olympics medal. She's been a middle blocker for Red Sparks since a few years ago, but she still maintains good energy in a leadership-esque role.

Wishing her all the best! :super:

• Post by throwawayanyway ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().