Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2024/25

• According to volleynews.it, VC Wiesbaden has been linked to Dutch opposite Anneclaire Ter Brugge, who played for Honda Olivero San Bernardo Cuneo this season.

Link: Anneclaire Ter Brugge giocherà in Germania con il Wiesbaden

She was also in Puerto Rico and got cut like 2 weeks after they signed her. I don't remember if she was totally out of shape or simply bad (very bad). I saw just one game of her with Changas de Naranjito and she scored 4 points.

• She was also in Puerto Rico and got cut like 2 weeks after they signed her. I don't remember if she was totally out of shape or simply bad (very bad). I saw just one game of her with Changas de Naranjito and she scored 4 points.

She was also in Romanian league but left in the middle of a season

• The Ladies in Black Aachen presented their first new signing, Vera Mulder, today.

Link: Vera Mulder kommt – STAWAG gibt den Ladies weiterhin Energie

Finally there also is some information about her injury: a lateral knee ligament was injured and she had surgery in February, right now she's still doing rehab so she can be back at full force for the beginning of the new season.

• Potsdam announced that after receiving financial help from sponsors and investors they will apply for the license to play in Bundesliga next season plus they will also play European Cups, but their budget will be significantly lower than before. They also complain that due to the negative articles from the last weeks they have a hard time signing new players and it seems nobody from last season is going to stay, their manager mentions "a complete restart".

https://www.sc-potsdam.de/voll…sdam-stellt-lizenzantrag/

• Potsdam announced that after receiving financial help from sponsors and investors they will apply for the license to play in Bundesliga next season plus they will also play European Cups, but their budget will be significantly lower than before. They also complain that due to the negative articles from the last weeks they have a hard time signing new players and it seems nobody from last season is going to stay, their manager mentions "a complete restart".

https://www.sc-potsdam.de/voll…sdam-stellt-lizenzantrag/

Is it really smart to play European cups while struggling to put a team together?:what: they won't be competitive anyways so what's the point

• Is it really smart to play European cups while struggling to put a team together?:what: they won't be competitive anyways so what's the point

There might be punishments for the club or the federation if a club doesn't use a spot in Euro Cups, plus playing Euro Cups is good advertisement for potential transfers and sponsors. Playing one or two rounds in CEV Cup will be affordable for them I guess.

• But the question is also which one they will start in. If the VBL doesn't want to completely reduce its license statute to absurdity, then SC Potsdam should only start in the Challenge Cup and not in the CEV Cup.

I think officially there is no connection between Bundesliga license and European Cups, plus I don't think Suhl (or Wiesbaden who hope to play Euro Cups) really have more money than Potsdam...

• Of course there is a connection there. In contrast to the men's area, the VBL also obliges the clubs in the women's area to take part in the European competition if they have qualified, based on the license status that you submit to with the license application. Otherwise you have to pay €20,000 to the VBL.

And in the same way, the VBL can also set requirements in the license statute for the registration for the European competitions, which is carried out either entirely by the VBL or jointly by VBL and the DVV. And this is exactly what is done in paragraph 24.3.3. The following is said there:

"Lizenznehmer, die in den letzten zwei Spieljahren mit Sanktionen gemäß Ziffer 3.9.3, 3.9.4, 3.9.6, 3.9.7 oder 3.9.8 belegt wurden, werden grundsätzlich nicht in den beiden oberen Europacup-Wettbewerben (CL, CEV-Cup) gemeldet.” (english: "Licensees who have been subject to sanctions in accordance with Sections 3.9.3, 3.9.4, 3.9.6, 3.9.7 or 3.9.8 in the last two playing years will generally not be allowed to compete in the two top European Cup competitions (CL, CEV Cup) reported.")

Number 3.9.3 is important here because it describes “points deducted in the current or next game year”. And SC Potsdam received such a punishment, as did Suhl and Wiesbaden. This means that none of these three teams are likely to play in the Champions League or CEV Cup this season or next, even if they qualify.

Link: Lizenzstatut

• But how are they going to solve it? Germany has 2 spots in CL, 2 in CEV Cup and one in Challenge Cup. I'm not sure if they can simply swap one CEV Cup spot for a Challenge Cup spot because otherwise one of Potsdam/Suhl/Wiesbaden simply must play in CEV Cup. Münster or Aachen surely won't be there...

• So I haven't read up on the CEV regulations. But if you look, for example, at this year's Challenge Cup and the document "2024 CEV European Cups Slot Allocations", then you will notice that Austria and Slovakia, for example, competed in the Challenge Cup with more teams than they were entitled to according to the document and this had nothing to do with any qualifying competitions.

The fact that two teams from this country started in the Challenge Cup was probably because the two countries did not take advantage of the starting place they were actually entitled to in the “Champions League qualification” and instead registered two teams each for the Challenge Cup. If Austria and Slovakia can do this, then why shouldn't Germany be able to do the same? Just that we wouldn't claim a CEV starting place instead of “Champions League qualification” starting place.