03-Aug 12:30 Germany - Russia

Pool D
    01-Aug 16:00 Iran - Canada
    01-Aug 18:30 Serbia - Belgium
    02-Aug 16:00 Canada - Belgium
    02-Aug 18:30 Iran - Serbia
    03-Aug 16:00 Belgium - Iran
    03-Aug 18:30 Serbia - Canada

• Im wanting to go follow the championship! :) But I confess I dont know much about male volleyball, specially Junior...do you guys recomend me any match or team to follow? :)

• Serbia with Atanasijević and Kovačević :whistle: :wavy:

Thanks! :flower:

Well I was checking the times and Serbia will play first round in Niteroi, so ti will be harder to follow, I guess I follow first round EUA, RUS, BUL, JPN, BRA, ... ^^
    But hopely Ill be able to follow them second round..hehehehehe

• Emerging stars set for the challenge in Brazil
    The alignment of the future stars of men’s volleyball, an event that occurs every two years, will happen again over the Brazilian cities of Rio de Janeiro and Niteroi when most of the sport’s top prospects compete at the FIVB Men’s Junior World Championship on August 1-10.

The 16th edition of the tournament for men under 21 years old, divides 16 squads from all over the planet into four pools.

All eyes are expected to be on the two-time defending champion and host Brazil as the home boys will try to win their third crown in a row; a rarity only accomplished by the former Soviet Union during the first three tournaments in 1977, ’81 and ’85 when it was a quadrennial competition.

Russia, indeed, has the distinction as the all-time gold medal winner with a total of seven (including four under the USSR flag). Brazil is next with four, followed by Poland with two and Korea and Bulgaria with one apiece.

Russia and Brazil, the only teams represented in all of the previous 15 events, top the list among the biggest medal winners; each has 12 of different colors. There are 10 participating countries still looking for their first podium position in the history of the event, inaugurated in Rio de Janeiro 34 years ago in 1977.

That list include three nations – India (ranked 7th), United States (9th) and Egypt (10th) – currently positioned among the top-10 junior and youth teams according to the latest rankings released by FIVB in May of 2011.

The previous edition of the tournament was held in 2009 in Pune, India, where Brazil edged Cuba in a five-set epic battle, 30-28, 21-25, 25-22, 23-25, 15-8 to take the title while Argentina made history by visiting the podium for the first time following a 25-19, 25-16, 25-22 victory over host India to collect the bronze.

The competition begins on August 1 with four pools of four teams playing a preliminary round-robin until August 3 in both Rio de Janeiro and Niteroi. The top two teams in each pool advance to the medal competition bracket in Rio de Janeiro, while the other two compete in the classification matches scheduled for August 5-7 in Niteroi.

The second round will consist of four-team pools – two top and two bottom halves – playing another round-robin.

The semifinal round will be played on August 9, while the medals and final classification matches scheduled for August 10.

The matches scheduled in Rio de Janeiro will be staged at the legendary Maracanazinho Gymnasium built in 1954 with a capacity for 11,800 spectators. The facility, considered the Temple of Volleyball in Brazil, was completely refurbished for the Pan American Games held in 2007 and it will be the official site for the volleyball tournaments during the 2016 Olympic Games.

Appearances and Medals at FIVB Men’s Junior World Championship

Argentina: 11th appearance; bronze in 2009
    Belgium: 2nd appearance; Best finish of 6th in 2009
    Brazil: 16th appearance; gold in 1993, 2001, 2007 and 2009; silver in 1981, 1995, 1997, 2003 and 2005; bronze in 1977, 1989 and 1999; 12 total medals
    Bulgaria: 8th appearance; gold in 1991; bronze in 2003; 2 total medals
    Canada: 7th appearance; Best finish of 5th in 1999
    Egypt: 8th appearance; Best finish of 9th in 2003
    Germany: 7th appearance; Best finish of 4th in 1987
    India: 6th appearance; Best finish of 4th in 2009
    Iran: 8th appearance; bronze in 2007
    Japan: 10th appearance; silver in 1989
    Puerto Rico: 4th appearance; Best finish of 9th in 1997
    Russia: 10th appearance (16th including participation under USSR flag); gold in 1977, 1981, 1985, 1989 (as USSR), 1995, 1999 and 2005; silver in 2001 and 2007; bronze in 1987, 1991 (as USSR), 1997. 12 total medals
    Serbia: 1st appearance (2nd appearance including participation under Serbia & Montenegro flag); Best finish of 7th in 2005
    Spain: 6th appearance; Best finish of 7th in 1995
    Tunisia: 10th appearance; Best finish of 5th in 1993
    United States: 6th appearance; Best finish of 7th in 1977, 1981, 2007
    FIVB

• The game between USA and Bulgaria just finished, a crushing 3-0 victory for USA. They totally outplayed our boys leaving them almost no chances to show any volleyball. There were individual differences between the two teams, but in terms of teamplay the Americans showed faster volleyball and a very good transition in attack-defence. When their coach said before the start of the tournament that they are coming to Brazil to win the title he was obviously not joking, what they demonstrated in day 1 supports his words to a full degree.

Their setter Christenson was much more unpredictable compared to our setters Georgiev and D. Dimitrov, which both couldn't show their best skills, just like the entire team, to be honest. Christenson's combination were more accurate. I was impressed by the US team overall, but three players kept my attention with different skills - Maurice Torres is a very athletic opposite with a great serve, a fast hand and good blocking abilities, Taylor Sander (OH) could be described in an almost identical way, and the captain Taylor Crabb (OH) is a bit shorter, but stable in reception and showed some nice pipe attacks.

Our team was obviously missing spirit and maybe some more preparation. With all my due respect to Nikolay Zhelyazkov, a legend in our volleyball and a good coach, he is simply wrong to take his son Zhani Zhelyazkov to this tournament. First, because he is injured, second, because the alternative is actually an OH/OPP Iliyan Bozhkov, who still came in and played better than Zhelyazkov Jr., and last because Zhani is just not good enough for this team. He might have his moments sometimes, but I personally don't think he is a good player, just look at his technique and you will see it is just as wrong. Even the substitution Bozhkov who is filling gaps right now shows more talent to be an opposite and should have played the whole game. Too bad Zlatan Yordanov got injured in the first set, I hope he can play till the end because the team will need him for sure.

I don't know the level of the Brazilian team, but USA is definitely among the title contenders and will make Brazil sweat a lot. Bulgaria, on the other side, needs a good game tomorrow against Japan and maybe a miracle versus the hosts on Wednesday.

• I don't know the level of the Brazilian team, but USA is definitely among the title contenders and will make Brazil sweat a lot. Bulgaria, on the other side, needs a good game tomorrow against Japan and maybe a miracle versus the hosts on Wednesday.

Highlighting Brazil is wrong, maybe worst generation in many many years, 9th on youth wc, here won't be much higher...

russia, serbia, argentina, all 3 asian teams (especially iran and veterans of india :lol: :lol: :roll: ), probably also usa and maybe even spain - all are much better than brazil so they will have tough time even to enter 2nd stage... asian volley will have again one great tournament in this age, so champion of Asia Japan beating this Brazil isnt so big deal as it could sound like...

• India - Germany 3:1 (19:25, 25:21, 25:23, 25:20)

Well - it is not common and usual to see India beats some other team in any sports (except field hockey or cricket :D ). Good for Indians :)

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Well - it is not common and usual to see India beats some other team in any sports (except field hockey or cricket :D ). Good for Indians :)

India here defending 4th place from last junior wc, so it is quite usual for them to beat opponents on this level, escpecially if "secret" is known they play with 25yo players :rolll: :whistling: