2016 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix

• Russia holding it's iwn ground. Story will be different in Rio once Kosheleva rwturns

• Russia can't stop again opponents middle attacks :white:

• Zaryazkho why are you afraid of hitting the ball :wall:

• I wish I could understand Russian, so I will know what Marichev tells during the time-out. It seems like he scolds Malova, Shcherban and Ilchenko a lot and I think they deserve it.

• Hill is doing good, much better than during this season. Larson is just amazing, such a skillful player. Akinradewo is unstoppable... Great playing system by USA today!
    Of course it doesn't mean much, but they are really really strong and playing better day by day.

• Maliva is playing far from her usual level. If Russia continues to receive like this, even Kosheleva can't save this team.

• Congrats to the USA girls, great game fro them! So my prediction came true: BRAxUSA for the Gold, and NEDxRUS for the bronze. Matches tomorrow wull definitely be more exciting than today.

• Looking at the main stats, it is crazy. Russia outblocks the USA by 8. If you see that, Russia should have won.

But then at the service line, the USA has 8 more aces.

Finally, spiking 21 more points from the USA! In a 3 set match against Russia, the USA basically won a set spiking the ball. Ridiculous.

Tomorrow's Gold Medal Match against Brazil should be very interesting, because both teams will want to put a statement out to say, I am a favorite for Rio.

• it's not the first time russian outblocked opponent and yet lost.
    2014 vs usa was another game.
    the russians just didn't play hard enough. especially the 3rd set and the game yesterday vs brazil.
    that's really a serious problem.
    it doesn't matter how good you are . if the effort level is not there, all is for naught.

• If grothues really torn something in the knee as the fivb commentator said, thats really a huge blow for the Dutch. No tear in the knee will be healed in a month. And do they have a serviceable oh replacement? Don't think so. I really hope it's just a sprain. Or it's just a tiny tear then you can probably manage to play through it if she wants to. Otherwise this injury will tip the balance in favor of Italy to make the quarter final in the Olympic.

• About Startseva : Do u really think she could not get a spot in other top countries or r u joking? I think she`s great and I dont like the russians but I do like her and she makes me like Russia a bit better. Remember she was Russia`s starter setter when they won the 2010 WCH and she was only 21 years old...u wont see that very often, a 21 year old setter winning a WCH.

Well, I admittedly never watched those WCH, so perhaps my opinion would different if I had. And, to be fair, I'm not sure my reservations with her are *her* fault. I just don't think she particularly crafty or runs a very exciting offense... But that could totally just be the Russian system. I do like her, though-- she seems pretty fabulous and, again, is by far the best setter on the roster in my opinion. I just think that given the opportunity, Brazil, US, China, Thailand, Japan, S Korea, maybe even Serbia would find other setters before bringing her. I think she'd be up there, though.

and RE: Murphy. I was reading that until finishing college she was an OPP/S. I feel like you can sort of tell that being a hitter wasn't always her main priority. I agree, though, I think she seems super mellow and cool. You can't underestimate that kind of disposition!

• i'm so behind... just now watching beginning of RUS x BRA match. what is marichev doing? why is malykh playing as non-passing OH? and she doesn't get any sets either, so what is she doing on the court? two passers only, an OH/OP who doesn't pass or hits, is this a new volleyball system i've never heard of?