Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• I'll have an article on Volleywood later tonight US west coast time on the potential teams. You've got to look at the FIVB regulations for the tournament at the beginning going back to February 2015.

• I disagree, only the athlete who dopped should loose the medal, not the whole team....why pay for somebody's else fault?

And loosing or winning a medal 4 years later what difference does it make???? None because sport is made by the emotions and excitement of the moment.

Generally speaking, an athlete will think twice before doping if he/she knows the following:

-the medal will be voided, it doesn't matter when but it will happen;
    -it opens a whole drama in paid money prizes by the state and sponsors;
    -the whole team will lose medals, friends and mates training together for years;

Anyway we're not talking about one player. Eight persons in two teams of 24 (I don't believe all eight of these are men) is a HUGE number, which involves the role of a whole state covering it up.

• Generally speaking, an athlete will think twice before doping if he/she knows the following:

-the whole team will lose medals, friends and mates training together for years;

Anyway we're not talking about one player. Eight persons in two teams of 24 (I don't believe all eight of these are men) is a HUGE number, which involves the role of a whole state covering it up.

FIVB has apparently a rule, when two or more players of a volleyball team are found guilty of doping, the whole team is out. Likely this would happen either way, the traditional Russia friendly Serbian CEV chief can't / could'nt avert it (he told, he would not like exclusion of Russia).

• Generally speaking, an athlete will think twice before doping if he/she knows the following:

I thought the eight persons include beach volleyball players?

• If Russia volleyball team is banned to play, it would be Turkey to play instead right?
    Wondering if the Turkish team is getting prepared as the timing is really really urgent.

Could be also Thailand, I don't know, how this would come out, to be honest (fourth best European qualification team or fifth best world qualification team?).

• Could be also Thailand, I don't know, how this would come out, to be honest (fourth best European qualification team or fifth best world qualification team?).

russians qualified through european qualification. it's an european spot.
    it makes more sense their spot is filled by an european team from that tournament.
    first turkey. if turnkey declines, it should be germany. and so on.

• russians qualified through european qualification. it's an european spot.
    it makes more sense their spot is filled by an european team from that tournament.
    first turkey. if turnkey declines, it should be germany. and so on.

I think, the correct attribute regarding the relation of FIVB against the CEV is being hostile. It seems unlikely to me, that FIVB would grant Turkey a ticket, when they can give it to Thailand too - remember, Turkey was not in Japan at world qualification. This seems to me an easy path for FIVB, to put such at ticket to Thailand instead of Turkey, because the overall qualification scheme is highly unfair to European teams in general.

• I think, the correct attribute regarding the relation of FIVB against the CEV is being hostile. It seems unlikely to me, that FIVB would grant Turkey a ticket, when they can give it to Thailand too - remember, Turkey was not in Japan at world qualification. This seems to me an easy path for FIVB, to put such at ticket to Thailand instead of Turkey, because the overall qualification scheme is highly unfair to European teams in general.

the best european team not in the olympics is turkey/germany/belgium.
    they're not clear cut better than non european teams qualified, except for cameroon.
    i'm not sure they have too much to complain unless they want cameroon's spot.

• Meanwhile, Tatiana Kosheleva has recovered from her injury and could play the Olympics.

As long as there is no official announcement I want to believe that Russia will be allowed to play. IMO the argumentation is similar to saying "muslims are doing terrorist attacks, so let's ban ALL muslims from our country" :down:

I don't support doping and those proven guilty must be punished, but it's not fair to punish them for being Russian. Also the whole course of events looks suspicious to me, why does this mysterious report come out just two weeks before the start of the games? It makes everything very confusing.

If Russia will be completely banned eventually, I believe this will be the beginning of the end of the Olympic Games as a whole. Russia will not let this happen without reaction.

• I would also definitely prefer a per sports decision. The rule to ban a volleyball team, if at least two members now nominated were proven guilty of doping, is a reasonable one IMHO.

Of course all Russian sportspeople eligible to take part in Olympics knew about that system, but the demand to let actively control by third party doping laboratories is rather hard and always questionable (since the discussion startet or since when?).

By the way, Tatiana Kosheleva complained today about "so much hatred against Russia and Russian sports". This is at least partly a correct perception, because nearly all NATO country governments are behaving inadequatly offensive against Russia the last years (mainly because of Ukraine/Krim, but it's not all).

And the opinion among German (beach) volleyballers is split: so there is no unique opinion aside from official postures.

And banning one country completely is not the solution of the root issue: there is no perfect way to cope with the doping problem anyway. What will the IOC tell Russia, when they ban them as a whole, and letting Jamaica participate, where good reason suggests, they did similar as Russia but no whistleblower revealed it there so far?

• https://www.olympic.org/news/d…he-olympic-games-rio-2016

It is not a blanket ban but now INDIVIDUAL federations will have to decide. AND the athlete MUST NOT have a past history of doping. So now it is up to FIVB. The only sports i'm 100% sure of Russian participation is artistic and rhythmic gymnastics because they didn't even appear in the report.

I agree with Matthias, a blanket ban for Russia is like saying all muslims are terrorists. I too do not see any justification in banning clean athletes.

• Really? How reliable is it? Russiavolley says the opposite. Without Koshe Russia is screwed
    http://www.russiavolley.com/82…vered-from-a-back-injury/

Like real screwed...she's not only a splendid player but THE leader that team desperately need. I wonder how this will end up.