Bulgarian Team

• [color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• I'm not very good at judging setters, but doesn't Bulgaria basically have a setter problem? Zhekov or what's his name isn't that much of a respected player is he? though he has a strong jump serve, but that's not really the prime function of a setter. Of course who really gives a shit when you have Kazijski hitting on the outside, he would probably score most of his attacks off of my sets too.

• Of course who really gives a shit when you have Kazijski hitting on the outside, he would probably score most of his attacks off of my sets too.

Look at what Trento is doing with Grbic playing along with Nikolov and Kaziyski. Bulgaria would be crushing any team with a setter of this level, just like Trento is doing in Italy.

• True, setting is not the first skill of Bulgarian volleyball. Actually, I think that one of the reasons we have so strong attackers is because of the poor setting - the attackers are used to hit difficult balls which increases their skills.

But for me Zhekov IS a good setter. He has an excellent ball control (his one-hand setting is very good too), his sets are technically very good (fast and smooth), his posture doesn't reveal a lot of his intentions, and he is a good blocker (very important for his zone) and server too. Let's not forget that he is quite young for a setter on the national level. He had some injuries and other problems when he played in Russia and that's why he did not perform very well during that period but last season he played really very well in his club in Greece, and now he is in a very good shape. He already showed a much better play during the World Cup last year when Bulgaria finished 3rd and won the olympic ticket, and I think he will show more and more of his talent in the future. If you can find the match against Russia for example you'll see a really intelligent play from his side.

• Strandja I'm absolutely agreed with you! I think that Zhekov will be getting better and better and will show that he has grown up a lot this year :)

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• I've always said about Zhekov...he's only 27... and i don't think he is not a good setter at this age...the future will show that he's a great setter, and teh more important thing - he will be getting better and better.

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

• Has any of you seen the difference between Zhekov and Nickolay Ivanov?Please, tell me that you have watched just a little bit of Ivanov`s matches for the Bulgarian NT.Just a bit of history:

Ivanov made his star shine in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, in the match against the USA.After that match there was a topic in the US papers : "Ivanov killed US volleyball".I think that is enough.Zhekov, for me, is a lowsy setter.I am frustrated even with his play against Israel and Portugal these few days.TERRIBLE!!!AWFUL!!!! I`ve watched very closely most of the matches since he made the first team.Very often, Kazyiski and Nikolov struggle to hit his passes.Thank God they are some athletes, especially Kazyiski.They stretch like ballet dancers to reach the ball.If our NT had a setter like Ivanov, or Grbic - watch out.I don`t think there would be a team that wouldn`t fear us like everyone now fears Brasil.Don`t take my opinion as an insult or something for the other NT - I respect them, but can anyone, in this present time tell me someone nearly as good as Kazyiski?Or Nikolov(he has a lot of competition for "Best in the World", but on his day - as The Mask says : "Somebody stop me!")?I really would like Ivanov to return, but I think it`s impossible.I hope Stanev gets more chances - he has a bright future - he could be one of the best, if he receives some help ;)

• Fallen angel, first hi, then - Zhekov is not a weak or an awful setter, Niki Ivanov was great, but he's not in the squad, everybody knows I hope you also that Ivanov has bad character and he is a little bit individualistic, but the National Team is the most important and we are fans of the team, not only of one player.. no matter who is he. Here we don't talk about volleybal qualities. I don;t think Stanev can achieve more than Zhekov... in 1 or 2 years Zhekov will be at the level of Ivanov..which best years are after 27,28 just as will be with Zhekov, good setter you are after 29.

Nothing like that in the match against Israel... 5 months players hadn't played together... we can't expect a briliant understanding on the pitch.

• AFROMAN, thanks for making me laugh :) I don`t really know what you know about Ivanov, but "individualistic" is the last word I can use ;) Let me remind you of a Ivanov and Plamen Konstantinov`s appearance in Slavi Trifonov`s show, when they said some "secrets" about the NT and they were punished(they were fined for "ruining the Federation`s prestige", only for telling that they have no second outfit to play with).And if you are not in the "facts", Ivanov resigned after a scandal with Mitko Ivanov(RIP) for the Team Doctor`s paycheck.Individualistic?Well, interesting point of view.While we call him individualistic - reporters in Europe have said some pretty good things, the last few years.If I can tell it in Bulgarian(sorry, but it`s late and can`t think of a translation" - "Който си го може, си го може".

Did you watch the matches with Israel and Portugal?Zhekov got on my nerves.He`s...$!@$@ - I think here is appropriate to not tell the words.I will be punished otherwise :) And then again - yes, Zhekov has good blocking and serving skills, I can`t say a word against this argument.But as Zorzi said some time ago about Zhekov - "the main point of being a setter - is to set!".And his setting skills - pardon, but they are lousy.If Stanev had more chance to play - I think he would show what he is really capable of, and, that he`s better than Zhekov.

Also, I`ve been watching this forum for quite some time, even before I registered.I would like to make a point - lots and lots of your arguments are not properly defended, and if I could be honest - 10 minutes of reading the thread made me frustrated.I noticed that other users before me mentioned that, but being "fanatical" isn`t a good thing.And see that I`m Bulgarian - what`s left for a foreigner? ;)

• Hm, interesting point of view... so strange but I see that you are fan of a player maybe not of the team... please stop honouring Nikolai Ivanov, everybody has the rght to choose what to do, I've watched this SLavi show but that doesn't change anything. You can be the greatest player but if you don't play at the National Team you won't have my approval, despite anything, because National Team is before anybody, Including the federation or Ivanov or anybody else. Matey Kaziyski's parents played in France, Matey grew up there in their halls, but he is playing for Bulgaria, not for France. Ivanov choosed to resign - as he wish, it's his decision, maybe it's correct for him but it's not correct for the National team, players, fans. When he did it that means that he couldn't get over the problems and put himself before The National Team, which can't be done by the player who you claim Ivanov to be.
    And stop with this bullshits about Zhekov, because you really have "glasses" and don't see anything. Zhekov showed incredible character and returned in the game after more than 2 years he had an awful injury, something that not many players have done. Also he made an incredible performance (as the whole team did) in the World Championship 2006 and World Cup 2007, after that he helped EA Patron finish 5th and to play in Challenge Cup, and with Yordanov also in the squad Patron has serious chances to win the tournament, so with or without your approval Zhekov will continue to play for the Bulgarian National Team, something that your "beloved" player is not doing.
    And please have respect of Mitko Ivanov (R.I.P.), he made more for Bulgarian volleyball than anybody else in the recent years.

• I don't think that Zhekov is not a good setter. He IS a good one. He just had some psychologycal problems but they are in the history now.
    This year he is in a very good shape and I think that you will change your opinion soon. ;-)
    I watched the 3 matchs from the qualification and I think that Zhekov played just greate! He is very different from the last year and he plays on the level he showed in the games from the World Cup - that's after the Zorzi's opinion.

I have watched a lot of the NIki Ivanov matchs for the NT. He is a good setter and he is still one of my favorite players but I don't think that Andrey is weaker that Niki. They just are different in setting. But in serving and blocking, in deffense Zhekov is superior with a lot.

• I don't think that Zhekov is not a good setter. He IS a good one. He just had some psychologycal problems but they are in the history now.
    This year he is in a very good shape and I think that you will change your opinion soon. ;-)
    I watched the 3 matchs from the qualification and I think that Zhekov played just greate! He is very different from the last year and he plays on the level he showed in the games from the World Cup - that's after the Zorzi's opinion.

I have watched a lot of the NIki Ivanov matchs for the NT. He is a good setter and he is still one of my favorite players but I don't think that Andrey is weaker that Niki. They just are different in setting. But in serving and blocking, in deffense Zhekov is superior with a lot.

I absolutely agree. :)

• Me too. I think that Zhekov will show us a lot in the very close future and actually i think he already started to uncover his big potential. I'm sure that by short time he will be on the top,I really wish so. It will be very good for our NT and for himself, of course. :win:

Wild Wild West!

" There is nothing better than this"

• Just for start - I would be the first to recognise him, if Zhekov makes my opinion wrong.Yes, in Patra he made a great season.I saw a couple of the matches, but I`m puzzled - why doesn`t he show the same level in the NT ? Yes, I wear glasses, as a matter of fact, but the difference "club team - NT" is BIG.If he shows the level he was at Patra - great.Until then - I remain with my current opinion.

You can be the greatest player but if you don't play at the National Team you won't have my approval,

So, I will make some argument.Let`s take(just for an example) Fillipo Inzaghi.He`s a football player(as most know) and yesterday he wasn`t called in the Italian NT for Euro 2008.So, is he not a great player?Or are you just talking because your keyboard is dirty and you are cleaning it that way? ?(

Because you are not willing to remember, I would be glad to be your "bad memory" about some facts.Ivanov resigned.You are absolutely right!Why should he defend the people in the NT?Was he a captain or something....oooh, pardon.He was.And let me add something, not known by the wide public.When he had an argument about money for the medical staff(the reason to have an argument in the first place) he threatened to resign if the staff didn`t get the money they had to take.Do you know what was the answer?I`ll put in Bulgarian and translate : "Отказвай се щом искаш, има кой да те смени".Translated "Resign if you want, there is someone to replace you".That`s the spirit! And if you tell me that is the right thing to say - well, you will just prove my theory for you ?( I think that if you want to succeed in sport(not only volleyball) not only do you have to have the skills, the physical strength, but you have to have the spirit, the qualities of a PERSON.Because sooner or later - you retire.And when this happens - if you are not a true and giving - you won`t have success in the future.

And just a question for you to think on : for some years now, in the NT, Levski Siconco players are tolerated(now is the first time for years, there is no Levski player in the team, you may be know why) - don`t you agree that when Ivanov "retired"(I would use "was kicked out") there were more talented setters in Bulgaria then Zhekov?Or may be, the last few years there aren`t better players than Todor Aleksiev(whom, I personally would not call in the NT even if I hadn`t 6 players in all).I am waiting for your reply ;)

P.S.Show me where I was disrespectful to Mitko Ivanov(R.I.P).

sNeige - interesting opinion.Yes, I said that Zhekov skills in blocking and serving are superior to Niki`s - there is no point in an argument about that.I couldn`t agree on the point for the EQ matches - he made terrible mistakes.Yes, I admit - on the World Cup he had some pretty good matches, but in the big picture - moderate play.If, I say IF, he proves me wrong and starts to play at a level higher than now - I would be really satisfied.The thing I want the most is our NT to be on top.And if Zhekov contributes - I will be one of the first to say he has done so :) I`m sorry for the long reply, I get "poetic" some times :D

• I really don't think Zhekov made some terrible mistakes in the 3 latest matches. Contrariwise, he played very well - he showed self-confidence, equability and a good organisation of the play. Even the attacks with the middle-blockers were good and that's a thing for wich he's often critisized.
    But I don't understand why you started such an useless topic?! Niki Ivanov will not return in the NT and he is not needed on the court, but I'll be glad to see him advising the setters in the NT. Maybe his retirement was for good because after that started the real strong plays of our NT. And what is more important - no more disputes between the players. ;)
    Sorry for my bad english...

• Fallen angel, I don't want to argue anymore, I respect your opinion but I don't share it, anyway I think that there is no "I" in "T" "E" "A" "M".... I mean that even if you are the greatest star.. you are part of the team, it's volleyball, not tennis. So liked Ivanov when he played in NT but now I don't see reason to like him, and as a matter of fact recently in an interview he accused the volleyball community in Poland that they don't understand almost anything about volleyball but they are just copying Italy as far as teams and the League is concerned...but that's not important..and nobody can say what the situation was, only Ivanov and the people ruling the federation during this time...we cant' say because media always manipulate.

• HI NICE TO MEET YOU
    I HAVE ONE QUESTION DID YOU CHANGE TH COACH AS BULGARIAN NATIONAL TEAM ? AD IF YOU DID IT WHY ?