World Championship Japan 2010

• Ok its working.

So happy to see Tom get the Best Receiver award. She deserves it. And I lurrrrve seeing her smile. Its priceless :lol:

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• Amazing. Two years ago it looked like the future of Russian volleyball was in shambles, and now they're the World champions!
    I wish the final was less decided by an individual dominating performance, but even though, hats off to Gamova! That was spectacular.
    It should also be noted that Maria Perepelkina scored a few clutch points when it really mattered - well done! I wonder if two years agi she had a slightest idea where she would be now. :D

• Congratulations to GAMOVA MVP! :cup:

• I wish they could give a special award to Sokolova. She is in the top 10 in attacking, serving, and receiving. Her role was not to score a lot of points but to provide stability and clutch points when it matters

• CONGRATULATIONS EKATERINA GAMOVA. You deserve the award. I can see how determined you were in the last set.

I am just sad remembering how Sokolova was snatched of this award in 2006. It would have been great if Sokolova was MVP in 2006 and Gamova now. But that is a thing of the past.

• i agree
    sokolova deserve a title in 2006 she was the mvp but fivb chosed takechita!!
    this year she played a big role in russia victory during all tournament, in reception and deffense and also with her wonderfull spikes.

• Great that Japan won, I think it just proves that they deserved to be in the semis and that they will be a very strong team in future competitions.

As for the final, I would have wanted Brazil to win, but one thing decided this game and I'm not talking about Gamova. Yes she is the best and deserved the MVP, don't get me wrong, but that level of performance is always expected from her. The main point that gave this victory to the russian side was reception. Russia and Cuba have the best attackers in the world, always have, they have brutal finishing power, but both teams have always been let down by their defensive system and especially their serve reception. What I saw this tournament and in this final was a team that created more problems for Brazil reception then suffered from it, if they keep this up no team can beat them.

• it's so sad to see Brasil :( 99% of teams would be jumping about and would be so happy but Brasil is a different story they look like on funeral :(

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Perepekhina is fofr the best midlle blocker that russia had for the last 10years, she is not as tall as other brododakova, merkulova even year of tchitchenko, but she is faster and more agressive and has a perfect block skill. i was really impressed by here.
    the key of the match was of course reception and deffense and at the end of the match russia did good tactical serves from sokolova (same case like 200-) and gamova was front row to finish points.
    brazil needed is strong but not as it was in beinjing or 2006.

• After criticism that Pool E was much easier than Pool F, I'm glad to see Russia take the title and Japan, who almost made it there, take the bronze. Brazil was able to keep Kosheleva contained and she had her worst offensive performance of the tournament, but Gamova put on a spectacular show. It seems like after all these years she's finally learned to control her gigantic 2.02 frame! There were quite a few attacks, especially that one midway through the final set, that were impossible to defend. Solokova struggled in the early sets of the match but came up with a few big kills in the final set. Perepelkina, I think, is poised to be a big time player for Russia. She had some HUGE blocks in the final stretch and really made the Brazilian OH's adjust their tactics. I know this may sound bad, but Perepelkina's approach is so quick when she hits in front of the setter that it reminds me of the men's game. The Russians should be most excited about finally finding an exceptional young setter. She's young, she competes hard, she's a big blocker, and she has great hands. Congratulations to Russia for an excellent tournament!

Brazil did as best as they could considering their biggest guns on the outside were out with injuries. Natalia is not yet at the level of Mari, but she had a great tournament and proved that she belongs on the floor for Brazil. It will be interesting to see how things play out once Paula Pequeno and Mari come back from. There are few players that come along that are as likable as Sheilla. While I was hoping for Russian win, I always root for Sheilla because she gives 100% on every point, is consistently great for Brazil, and is NEVER arrogant on the court. Fabiana was screaming and yelling like she thought she was Regla Torres. Unfortunately for her, she had ZERO blocks for the match and her attacks were being touched or blocked in the final sets. Fabiola had a good match, and while Brazilian fans will endlessly critique her for not being Fofao, she's the best they've got right now so I'd suggest they get behind her. I also thought the Brazilian reaction at the end of the match was a bit over the top. It's one thing to be sad over losing and perhaps not playing well, but Russia was simply better in the end and there was nothing they could do to stop it. Fabiana and Jacqueline weren't crying, they were sobbing hysterically.

• Hats off to Sokolova and Russia libero for the reception. There were times when you gave me heartaches but during those times when a good reception is needed, you two never failed.

Russia service is also decent. Not as powerful as in 2006 with Godina but enough to destroy the reception of teams that rely heavily on reception such as Japan, China and now Brazil.

I think the key to defeating Russia is always through the middles and fast attacks but teams just cannot execute their plans because the services of the Russian bring out the worst reception in them forcing them to give high and slow sets with Russian blockers already waiting.

In the first set, the attacks of Sheila, Jacqueline and Natalia were so quick that the Russians could not even attempt to dig balls. But then they lost their focus and eventually lost.

• Congratulation to Russia and Japan !
    European team on the top ! :rose:

(Japan played almost perfect tournament - this team performance at home is at least 30 % better)

• Perepekhina is fofr the best midlle blocker that russia had for the last 10years, she is not as tall as other brododakova, merkulova even year of tchitchenko, but she is faster and more agressive and has a perfect block skill. i was really impressed by here.
    the key of the match was of course reception and deffense and at the end of the match russia did good tactical serves from sokolova (same case like 200-) and gamova was front row to finish points.
    brazil needed is strong but not as it was in beinjing or 2006.

i agree with you, bluseter. with the presence of perepelkina, russian way of play becomes much faster than before. she adds variation to high - ball plays which russia has been known for.