Olympic Games - General

• The Olympic Games are about to start. We are discussing the volleyball tournament already since weeks. But this topic is for all other sports. Write what sports you want to watch besides Volleyball, who your favourite sportsmen are and discuss and celebrate several results.

Enjoy the following weeks! It will be a paradise for all sports fanatics as us :olympia:

• I was waiting for this thread, I was about to make one myself. I just love the OG overall. I will watch it throughly. I like most sports, and I will definetely watch all sports in which there are Russians/Ukrainians/Belarussians competing. Unfortunately, most likely Russia will get third once again, but on my mind I always add up the medals from Ukraine and Belarus to the table, which I think is fair. :D

In fact, I will support all Slavs in the Games - except for Croats.

• Ah, thee Olympic Games. I'm so looking forward to them!! :olympia:
    I'll be watching everything I can, especially the gymnastics and swimming competitions. Italy can achieve good results in both disciplines. :thumbsup:

• i also cant wait for the games to start :D 2 weeks of strong competitions with the best athletes. Its just perfect.
    Im looking forward especially to the gymnastics (also rhytmic), athletics of course and tennis :) i also love to watch swimming. Damn im such a sportsjunkie so that i could watch the games 24/7 :lol:

But im already disappointed with china's policy...
    They promised years ago that they will guarantee freedom of the press. But ok, i hope the games will work out anyway, they will be beautiful without a doubt.

• I can't waaaait. :thumbsup: Time zones will be a bit of a problem, though.

I'm going to pay special attention to athletics, swimming and handball, and most of all - gymnastics. For me it's always the highlight of the Olympics. Romanian women's team is always my favourite. They have to stop the USA!

• gymnastics. For me it's always the highlight of the Olympics. Romanian women's team is always my favourite. They have to stop the USA!

Yeah!! I'll cheer for Romania too! They are amazing!

• I can't waaaait. :thumbsup: Time zones will be a bit of a problem, though.

You're right! China's time zone with respect to Italy is +6, I'm worried I'll have to wake up at 6 in the morning (or earlier) to see the volleyball matches and the other competitions... 8|
    Do we know at what time the matches will be? Because if, say, they're playing at 10 in the morning, I'd have to wake up at 4... 8|
    (well, that's what I did during the 2006 World Championships in Japan, but it wasn't easy. :D )

• Gymnastics is pretty cool, but China and Romania win everything now. I hope we can find new talents for the next OG.

Did anyone see the whole Bulgarian weightlifting team was banished from dopping? This is such BS! Everyone who knows a little bit about high performance sports is aware of the fact that ALL elite athletes take drugs, ESPECIALLY in weightlifting. Such hipocrisy. Last Olympics they already robbed Bulgarian medals because of that, that pisses me off.

Anyway, who thinks China will beat the USA this year?

• Do we know at what time the matches will be? Because if, say, they're playing at 10 in the morning, I'd have to wake up at 4...

http://www.inside-volley.com/w…page=Thread&threadID=2774

_______________________________________________________________________________

I really dont want china to win the overall medalranking.
    Just cos of this weird doping treatment thing etc.
    The controlmen of the Anti- Doping campaign werent allowed to test many chinese athletes without an appointment. Any many more cases like this.

I hope russia will get many goldmedals :)
    I love to support russia always (weird that not in VB). It makes me just uberproud when my real country shows that its a real sportsnation!
    Also weird, that i want germany to get as few as possible :lol:

• I hope russia will get many goldmedals :)
    I love to support russia always (weird that not in VB). It makes me just uberproud when my real country shows that its a real sportsnation!
    Also weird, that i want germany to get as few as possible :lol:

So, you're born in Russia, with Polish roots and live in Germany, right? That's pretty cool!

• Oh, thanks! I remembered there was a thread about it, but when I went looking for it I found one with the schedule of the matches without a timetable. There it was. :)
    So, yeah, I'll have to wake up at 4 and 6 in the morning. YAY! [yes, it was sarcasm] :sos:

As for China's possible gold medals, I expect them to win a lot. They have maniacally prepared for these Games, and they HAVE to win. :(
    I just hope there won't be many violations of the basic sports ethic. :roll:

• I think that athletics, swimming are always nive to see...great chances of breaking records...and I don't know is so exciting!!!hehehehe

In athletism...I hope Isinbayeva break another mark...5,05 right...maybe even more!!!!!

Swimming...Is great...but Phelps will win everything...hehe...the guy is a monster...hehe

I'll look for gymnastics too...Romenians are really good indeed...but I hope two Brasilian can win some medal...Jade Barbosa and Diego Hipolito...=)

I'll also cheer for Australia in female basketball...at maleI don't know witch team to choose...hehe...I think USA will be amazing...

In soccer...I just hope the Brasil's male team don't loose to Argentina!!!hehehehe....and I hope the female wins it...that girls deserve...

• I was waiting for this thread, I was about to make one myself. I just love the OG overall. I will watch it throughly. I like most sports, and I will definetely watch all sports in which there are Russians/Ukrainians/Belarussians competing. Unfortunately, most likely Russia will get third once again, but on my mind I always add up the medals from Ukraine and Belarus to the table, which I think is fair. :D

In fact, I will support all Slavs in the Games - except for Croats.

Generally I support all Slavs too, including Croats. But also Romania and Hungary. I have a soft spot for the eastern part of Europe.

Italy, I support it only in women volleyball. I fell in love with volleyball, because of Italian women NT. Then I started watching also other NTs, and then my interest grow to include clubs.

• In athletism...I hope Isinbayeva break another mark...5,05 right...maybe even more!!!!!

Oh, yes, I really like her! She set another record recently, didn't she? :thumbup:
    I forgot to mention that in heptathlon I love Carolina Kluft. But I've heard that in Beijing she'll compete only in long jump and triple jump. I hope she'll do well, she's a great athlete. :)

• My favourite sport is volleyball. I also love soccer and basketball (it was fantastic to see the men's Argentinean Team beating the US team in the semifinal match of the men's basketball tournament and eventually winning the gold medal! I hope they could do this again!) I am a big fan of gymnastics and diving. I don't care much about track and field and swimming, but I'll watch all the sports in which there were brazilian athletes competing.

Brazil's biggest chances of winning medals this OG are: volleyball, beach volleyball, soccer, sailing, judo and gymnastics. We have little chance in track and field and swimming. If Brazil were to receive just one gold medal, I wish to God this golden medal goes to the Women's Voleyball Team.

• We have little chance in track and field and swimming.

Oh..I'm a big athletics fan so I want to write some words about it :) I think long jumper Maurren Higa Maggi has chances for medal.She is third on 2008 world top list.Pole vaulter Fabiana Murer (4.80 this year) will compate against Monika Pyrek and Anna Rogowska and she has chances too. This year Jadel Gregorio isn't as good as last year but he may jump very long in Beijing.

So..Athletics may be very strong event for Brazil :P

• Anyone predicting China to win over-all? or USA or Russia?

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• I completely disagree. People want a show, people want a thrilling competition and spectacular moves, they don't care about the actual performance.

I totally agree with Armel. :thumbup:

• Hm, I think that China will be on the top of the list with winning more medals than Russia and USA. They are really really well prepared and also are hosts, which is not out of importance especially in some sports :whistle:

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................