World League 2009

• Italy - 22 players for the World League 2009
    Setters:
    Valerio Vermiglio (Lube Banca Macerata)
    Davide Saitta (Sisley Treviso)
    Giacomo Sintini (RPA LuiggiBachci Perugia)
    Dragan Travica (Trenkwalder Modena)

Opposites:
    Mauro Gavotto (Paradiso Montichiari)
    Michał Łasko (Marmi Lanza Verona)
    Roberto Cazzaniga (Premier Crema)

Middle Blockers:
    Emanuele Birarelli (Itas Diatec Trentino)
    Marco Piscopo (Itas Diatec Trentino)
    Simone Buti (Framasil Pineto)
    Giorgio De Togni (Antonveneta Padova)
    Francesco Fortunato (Bre Banca Lanutti Cuneo)
    Andrea Sala (Paradiso Montichiari)

Outside Hitters:
    Matej Cernic (Martina Franca)
    Dore Della Lunga (Itas Diatec Trentino)
    Matteo Martino (Lube Banca Macerata)
    Gabriele Maruotti (Padova)
    Simone Parodi (Marmi Lanza Verona)
    Christian Savani (RPA Luigi Bacchi Perugia)
    Ivan Zaytsev (Roma Volley)

Libero:
    Andrea Bari (Itas Diatec Trentino)
    Loris Mania (Paradiso Montichiari)

• It's an interesting choice! Without Cisolla, Papi, Fei, Mastrangelo, Tencati this Italian NT is very young and potential, but maybe not that experienced and scary as it used to be... eager to see how they will look during the summer... In my opinion, the opposite will be their biggest problem!

• One thing I don't understand, how come that the 3rd Opposite is Roberto Cazzaniga? he plays in the A2.

I think it was shown that in the Olypics, maybe the Italian team was a bit old and so it is great in my opinion that guys like Saitta are in the national team but Roberto Cazzaniga is 30 years old, give a checnce to the young guys or at least take Fei if you want experience!!!

• Fei, as far as I know, needs some rest during the summer, so he rejected the NT call-up himself! That's why we will see some new faces in this formation of the Italian NT. Gavotto and Lasko seem very logical choice, however, I also don't understand why on earth Cazzaniga is on the roster...?!? I agree, that there are younger and far better (like Perazzolo, for instance) opposites than Cazzaniga, but I don't think he will get much chance to play anyway...

• Poland - 22 players for the World League 2009
    Opposites:
    Grzegorz Szymański
    Jakub Jarosz
    Marcel Gromadowski

Middle Blockers:
    Piotr Nowakowski
    Łukasz Kadziewicz
    Wojciech Grzyb
    Łukasz Perłowski
    Marcin Możdżonek
    Karol Kłos.

Setters:
    Paweł Zagumny
    Paweł Woicki
    Fabian Drzyzga
    Grzegorz Łomacz

Outside Hitters:
    Michał Bąkiewicz
    Bartosz Kurek
    Marcin Wika
    Zbigniew Bartman
    Michał Ruciak
    Rafał Buszek

Liberos:
    Krzysztof Ignaczak
    Piotr Gacek
    Paweł Zatorski

• So, no Wlazły, Winiarski, Pliński, Świderski, Żygadło and Gruszka. Generally no players from foreigne leagues (except Gromadowski). Maybe it's good - they will have time to rest and other players will be given chance to show their skills and abillities.
    ECh is much more important this season, cause we have to forget about terrible tournament in Russia...

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• i really like this squad there's lot young players orthose who haven't got many chance to show their skills in NT.it's great that Ruciak finally get his chance he has some potential(some :D he is junior world champion just like Wlazly Mozdzonek Woicki and WIniarski)Buszek really impressed me during this season so it;s good he get a chance :)
    oh i'm dying to see how Gromadowski improve he plays in A2 now last year he played for piacenzabut he didn't have much chance to play and he was the star of junior team which won the junior worls Championship(heh funny thing is Wlazly was only 2nd OPP and didn't play much and look where Wlazly is now and where Gromadowski is :D )

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• I heard that Gromadowski is really good now, http://www.legavolley.it/Stati…tat=2.2&Atleta=GRO-MAR-85 , this is what the stats in Italy show, but I really think that this player that played in Israel, 20 years old named Michal Kubiack is also a great player, though I don't think national team

yes Gromadowski stats are realy impressive but it's "just" serie A2 so i don't know how he would play against stronger opponents and what's worry me he score tons of points but he also give a lot points to the opponent team he have to eliminate those errors

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• I think, this is a good choice. But two bad news- no Gierczyński and Prygiel :down:

• I agree with the squad but I'm a little bit dissapointed cause Smilen Mlyakov (AZS Chestochowa) is missing. Also Pirin Balkanstroi's libero Atanas Mitrev is missing, some people expected him to be in the squad. Anyway 3 players should be dismissed from the list in order the number of players to be reduced to 19.

[color=#009900][color=#ffffff]

"I'm so proud that the fans still sing my name. But I fear tomorrow they will stop. And I fear it because I love it. And everything you love you fear you will lose" - Eric Cantona

• TEAM :

MIDDLE BLOCKERS :

Roberlandy Simón
    Osmany Camejo
    Darién Ferrer
    David de la Torre

SPIKERS :

Yoandri Leal
    Wilfredo León
    Miguel Ángel Dalmau
    Henry Bell

OPPOSITTES :

Rolando Cepeda
    Raidel Delgado
    Michael Sánchez

SETTERS :

Raidel Hierrezuelo
    Lian Sem Estrada
    Yoandri Díaz

LIBEROS :

Keibel Gutiérrez
    Gustavo Leyva

• Russia - list of 22 players
    Setters
    Alexander Butko (Iskra)
    Sergey Grankin (Dinamo M)
    Oleg Samsonychev (Iskra)

Opposites
    Pavel Kruglov (Dinamo M)
    Maxim Mihaylov (Yaroslavich)
    Semen Poltavskiy (Dinamo M)
    Alexey Cheremisin (Zenit)

Outside Hitters
    Pavel Abramov (Iskra)
    Yuriy Berezhko (Dinamo M)
    Denis Kalinin (Iskra)
    Vladimir Melnik (Ural)
    Evgeniy Sivozhelez (Dinamo M)
    Sergey Tetyukhin (Lokomotiv-Belogorie)

Middle Blockers
    Anton Astashenkov (Iskra)
    Aleksandr Volkov (Dinamo M)
    Alexey Kazakov (Ural)
    Alexey Kuleshov (Iskra)
    Dmitry Musersky (Lokomotiv-Belogorie)
    Aleksey Ostapenko (Dinamo M)

Liberos
    Alexey Verbov (Iskra)
    Alexandr Sokolov (Yaroslavich)
    Alexandr Yanutov (Gazprom-Ugra)

• Serbia - 22 players for WL'09
    Setters:
    Nikola Grbić (Trentino)
    Vlado Petković (Budućnost Podgorička Banka)
    Mihajlo Mitić (Crvena Zvezda)

Opposites:
    Ivan Miljković (Olimpiakos Pireus)
    Tomislav Dokić (Crvena Zvezda)
    Saša Starović (Budućnost Podgorička Banka)

Middle Blockers:
    Andrija Gerić (Panatinaikos)
    Novica Bjelica (Copra Piacenza)
    Dragan Stanković (Budvanska Rivijera)
    Marko Podraščanin (Lube Banca Macerata)
    Borislav Petrović (Nis Vojvodina)
    Vladimir Čedić (Radnički Kredi Banka)

Outside Hitters:
    Bojan Janić (Trefl Gdańsk)
    Miloš Nikić (Knack Roselare)
    Nikola Kovačević (RPA Perugia)
    Nemanja Petrić (Budućnost Podgorička Banka)
    Miloš Terzić (Crvena Zvezda)
    Dejan Bojović (Toraj Erous)
    Goran Marić (Marmi Verona)
    Miloš Vemić (Nis Vojvodina)

Libero:
    Marko Samardžić (Trefl Gdańsk)
    Nikola Rosić (Merser)

• Brazil - 22 players dor WL '09

Setters:
    Bruninho (Florianópolis/Cimed - BRA)
    Marlon (Brasil Volei/Santander - BRA)
    Raphael (Vibo Valentia - ITA)

Outside Hitters:
    Thiago Alves(Florianópolis/Cimed - BRA)
    Dante (Dinamo Moska - RUS)
    Giba (Iskra Odintsovo - RUS)
    Murilo (Modena - ITA)
    João Paulo (Joiville/Unisul - BRA)
    João Paulo Bravo (Piacenza - ITA)

Liberos:
    Serginho (Brasil Vôlei/Santander - BRA)
    Alan (Dinamo Moska - RUS)
    Mário Jr (Florianópolis/Cimed - BRA)

Middle Blockers:
    Lucão (Florianópolis/Cimed - BRA)
    Sidão (Modena - ITA)
    Tiago Barth (Telemig/Minas - BRA)
    Rodrigão (Lube Macerata - ITA)
    Éder (Florianópolis/Cimed - BRA)

Opposites:
    Samuel (Suzano/Ulbra - BRA)
    Rivaldo (Pineto - ITA)
    Wanderson (TelemigMinas - BRA)
    Leandro Vissotto (Trentino - ITA)
    Leandro (Cruzeiro/Betin - BRA)

• Hey Copra, you have a player from the Brazilian national team now.

Seriously, I think that Bravo really deserved it and in to my opinion could have also been in the Olympics as a 4th or 3rd Outside (with Murilo)

• USAV Announces Preliminary World League Roster
    USA Volleyball has announced the 22-person preliminary roster that it has submitted for the 2009 FIVB World League men’s tournament.

The roster will be cut to 19 players by April 30. New U.S. Men’s Head Coach Alan Knipe (Huntington Beach, Calif.) and his staff will pick 12 players from that group of 19 to play each weekend in World League.

Knipe, who is currently the head coach for Long Beach State’s men’s volleyball program, will not officially join the U.S. Men’s Team until the end of the 2008-09 collegiate season. However he was involved with the roster decisions along with former U.S. Men’s Head Coach Hugh McCutcheon, Assistant Coach Ron Larsen and Marv Dunphy, a former national team head coach and current men’s coach at Pepperdine who served as a consultant coach for the 2008 U.S. Men’s Olympic Volleyball Team.

“It was an interesting process considering I haven’t had the opportunity to be in a training environment with some of these guys,” Knipe said. “But I am familiar with all of them and I had a lot of quality input from some coaches that have had the opportunity to spend some extended time with the team. I like the group that we have selected.”

The roster is highlighted by eight returning players from the 2008 U.S. Men’s National Team that won World League and the Olympic gold medal.

Those returning players are setter Kevin Hansen (Newport Beach, Calif.), middle blocker and team captain Tom Hoff (Park Ridge, Ill.), libero Rich Lambourne (Tustin, Calif.), middle blocker David Lee (Alpine, Calif.), outside hitter Sean Rooney (Wheaton, Ill.) outside hitter Riley Salmon (League City, Texas), opposite Clay Stanley (Honolulu, Hawai’i) and outside hitter Scott Touzinsky (St. Louis, Mo.).

Hoff has played in the last three Olympics. Salmon and Stanley have played in the last two.

Setter Lloy Ball (Fort Wayne, Ind.) and opposite Gabe Gardner (San Clemente, Calif.) have retired from the U.S. Men’s Team. Middle blocker Ryan Millar (Palmdale, Calif.) and outside hitter Reid Priddy (Richmond, Va.) are taking the summer off from indoor volleyball competition.

Among other returning players, opposite Brook Billings (Santa Barbara, Calif.) played in the 2004 Olympic Games, where the U.S. Men placed fourth, and played pool play matches for the United States in the 2006-08 World Leagues.

Setter Donald Suxho (Korce, Albania) played in the 2004 Olympic Games and in the 2006 World League. But he has missed the last two seasons after injuring his Achilles tendon early in 2007.

Middle blocker Delano Thomas (Sacramento, Calif.) also played in 2008 World League pool play matches for the United States.

The other 11 players on the preliminary roster are recent college standouts who have seen international competition within the U.S. national program and/or while playing in international leagues.

“As we’re entering Year 1 of the quad (Olympic quadrennial), the natural progression is the reverse funnel effect,” Knipe said. “We’re bringing in a lot of guys at the beginning to see how they do at a higher level of international competition. We’re going to see how we can add to our core group.”

The FIVB World League is an exciting elite men’s volleyball competition in which the world’s best teams are divided into four pools and play for six straight weekends from June 12 to July 18. Winners from each pool will qualify for the final round on July 22-26 in Belgrade, Serbia, along with the host country and a pick from among the second-place teams in pool play.

The total World League prize purse is more than $20 million, with the winning team collecting a prize of more than $1 million.

U.S. fans can watch Team USA play live in World League matches in San Jose, Calif. (June 26-27 versus China), Hoffman Estates, Ill. (July 10-11 versus Italy) and Wichita, Kan. (July 17-18 versus Netherlands).

For more information on World League, please visit USA Volleyball’s World League web site at http://volleyball.teamusa.org/event/event/573.

2009 Preliminary U.S. World League Roster

1 Matt Anderson (OH, 6-10, West Seneca, N.Y., Penn State)
    2 Sean Rooney (OH, 6-9, Wheaton, Ill., Pepperdine)
    3 Evan Patak (Opp, 6-8, Pleasanton, Calif., UC Santa Barbara)
    4 David Lee (MB, 6-8, Alpine, Calif., Long Beach State)
    5 Rich Lambourne (L, 6-3, Tustin, Calif., BYU)
    6 Tyler Hildebrand (S, 6-5, Mesa, Ariz., Long Beach State)
    7 Donald Suxho (S, 6-5, Korce, Albania, USC)
    8 Andrew Hein (MB, 611, Carol Stream, Ill., Pepperdine)
    9 Jonathan Winder (S, 6-8, Irvine, Calif., Pepperdine)
    10 Riley Salmon (OH, 6-6, League City, Texas, Pierce College)
    11 Brook Billings (Opp, 6-5, Santa Barbara, Calif., USC)
    12 C Tom Hoff (MB, 6-8, Park Ridge, Ill., Long Beach State)
    13 Clay Stanley (OPP, 6-9, Honolulu, Hawai'i, Hawai'i)
    14 Kevin Hansen (S, 6-5, Newport Beach, Calif., Stanford)
    15 Russell Holmes (MB, 6-8, Fountain Valley, Calif., BYU)
    16 Jayson Jablonsky (OH, 6-5, Yorba Linda, Calif., UC Irvine)
    17 Delano Thomas (MB, 6-7, Sacramento, Calif., Hawai'i)
    18 Scott Touzinsky (OH, 6-6, St. Louis, Mo., Long Beach State)
    19 Alfee Reft (L, 5-10, Oxnard, Calif., Hawai'i)
    Paul Lotman (OH, 6-7, Lakewood, Calif., Long Beach State)
    David Smith (MB, 6-7, Saugus, Calif., UC Irvine)
    Robert Tarr (OH, 6-6, Cape Canaveral, Fla., Long Beach State)

Head Coach: Alan Knipe
    Assistant Coach: Ron Larsen
    Team Doctor: William Briner, Jr.
    Medical Support: Aaron Brock

source: usavolleyball.org

• I agree with the squad but I'm a little bit dissapointed cause Smilen Mlyakov (AZS Chestochowa) is missing. Also Pirin Balkanstroi's libero Atanas Mitrev is missing, some people expected him to be in the squad. Anyway 3 players should be dismissed from the list in order the number of players to be reduced to 19.

where is yordanov?