Montreux 2010

• What? Are Weishoff and Grün playing? :D

:lol:

Haha. We better move on Murina.

Kidding aside, what happened to Angelina Grün? She was Germany's main attacker before. Will there be a chance to see her again this World Championships?

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• According to MVM site this is Russian roster:

1: BORODAKOVA Maria
    3: FATEEVA Olga
    4: GONCHAROVA Nataliya
    6: KOSHELEVA Tatiana
    7: KRYUCHKOVA Svetlana
    8: MAKAROVA Anna
    9: MERKULOVA Yulia
    10: MURTAZAEVA Elena
    11: NAUMOVA Ksenia
    13: SAZIHNA Olga
    14: STARTSEVA Evgeniya
    15: ULYAKINA Vera
    17: MALOFEEVA Liudmila
    18: MOROZ Regina

I thought Merkulova wouldn't participate? And how is it possible that Goncharova and Makarova are both there? I suppose only one of them can be in the 12-player roster for each match...

• Cuba, USA and China open Montreux Volley Masters on a high note

Montreux, Switzerland, June 8, 2010. In the opening game of the 26th edition of the Montreux Volley Masters, Cuba put up quite a major surprise, defeating the Netherlands 3:1. The second game of the day saw the powerful Americans overcoming the quick Japanese in three sets, while the last game finished with the same score with a relatively easy victory of China against Poland.
    From the beginning of the first game, the players of Cuban new head coach Juan Carlos Gala took the lead over the vice European champions, the Netherlands. Thanks to a good collective game, the Cubans quickly led 6:0 before winning the first set 25-18. The second set started in a similar way, notably with the powerful serves from Silva, and ended up on the score of 25-22 for the Caribbean team. The Dutch then reacted, helped by Manon Flier’s magical arm (22 points) and were able to push their opponents into an additional set (17-25). The fourth set was tied with both teams going back and forth. But the Cubans were finally able to conclude the match, on a malicious point by Silva. Kenia Carcaces was the most impressive player of the match, scoring a total of 19 kills.
    A lot of expectations were addressed to the second game as it marked the return of the United States but also showed a confrontation between two different styles of playing: the American power against the Japanese fastness. This spectacle could only delight Volleyball experts present in the Pierrier gym. Executing perfect block-defense game, the actresses displayed numeral exciting and endless exchanges. The liberos on both sides could accurately read their opponents’ hits, notably assisted by a block which was often perfectly fixed. We could predict that the USA started largely favorite but it was not the case. They won the first two sets on the tied score of 25-23, while they got a more comfortable job in the third set, defeating the Asians 25-21.
    The bronze medal winners of the 2008 Olympic Games, China, well started this new edition of the Montreux Volley Masters. The players of the new head coach Wang Baoquan defeated Poland in three sets in the last match of the opening day. Except for the second set that China won 25-23 after having trailed down 22:23, the Asians could control the entire game. They could even afford leaving on the bench their superstar Wang Yimei, second best scorer at the 2008 Olympic Games. It is worth to mention that Poland has started their preseason without their best and most famous players, such as Anna Baranska, Izabela Belcik or Mariola Zenik. All of them were part of the team during the 2009 CEV European Championship held in their home country. While the Chinese focused on speed and precision, on the other side the Polish demonstrated lots of commitment and willingness. Even if it was not enough to win one set tonight against an impeccable China, the Eastern Europeans were beyond reproach.

For more information visit the official website of the Montreux Volley Masters: http://www.volleymasters.ch/

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Any site where I could watch the match today? esp.. Germany and USA?

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• :lol:

Haha. We better move on Murina.

Kidding aside, what happened to Angelina Grün? She was Germany's main attacker before. Will there be a chance to see her again this World Championships?

Only two "world class" opposites I know of from USA and Germany. Nnamani and Kozuch don't qualify (yet) for that title in my mind.

• USA3x1Germany

:dance6:

I'm so happy that our girls played very well today especially the young ones like Hodge, Barboza, Harmotto and Thompson.

To Villa Cortese fans, you guys are getting a good one. Megan Hodge had 26 points (i think) today vs. Germany.

• I think the match USA x Germany can be defined in two moments...

Germany started really well, playing very nice with a lot of defense, great to see. USA played consistent the hole match in my opinion, some ups and downs but not as much as Germany.

After Germany leading so far in second set, I really thought they were gonna win 3x0, and would be deserved, they were playing quite well, but Guidetti substitutions didnt work out, helped USa come back in the first and second set, first Germany could manage to close with no problems, the second no (I dont think it was only Hippe and Mollers fault, cont know how to explainwhy the team lower their production that times, but the fact is the substitutions just didnt work, Germany stopped), USA grow, Germany made a lot of mistakes in the end os second set(ok, maybe two of them just cause the referee wanted, cause two spikes from Beier clearly touch the block)

After that the game changed. Germany let their guard down, and USA playing more confident turn the game around.

I think there is one of the faults of Guidetti as a coach till now. He is great in preparation, he seems a great guy, the girls like him and he is very carefull with them, that is what I like about him. But so far he seems to not have the capacity to turn the game around, to push the girls back during a match. He can make them start playing well, but he seems not have the quality yet to push the confidence of the team back when things start to go wrong. He dont know yet how to change the team (being with substitutions or not) in a way that they can turn back to play how they started. Or the girls start to play well again on their own, or the opposite team starts to play a little worse helping German girls win confidence back...or there is no way. Of course Guidetti is a young coach still, and have a lot to learn...but I really think he should start to improve the emotional side of the match, so important in female's volleyball. He seems to let himself afected as well, he also kind of "give up" (maybe that is a strong word, not give up, but let himself get afected emotionaly in the game), while he should be the one that gives calm to girls and try to bring them back.

Anyway, good match for USA, that in other hand know how to administrate the bad moment in the beggining and win confidence to get back and win the match.

• Courtney Thompson IN Mary Spicer OUT :lol:

2010/2011 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Turkish Cup Winner :cup:
    2011/2012 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Super Cup Winner :cup:

• Mary (Nellie) Spicer is a YES. :lol:

I love her, she's a talented setter. So I wouldn't discount her yet. She'll be fine, trust me :thumbsup:

• This is basically what I saw as well. I wonder how the match would have gone if the referee hadn't given the second set to USA.

I think that Weiss was not good today - put either of the American setters on Germany and Germany wins.

On the other hand, the formula to beat the USA seemed to be almost so easy that Germany wanted to see if they could win with other formulas.

How to beat USA: serve to Barboza -> when you get the free ball set the back quick set. Repeat 25 times. Both Japan and Germany were successful nearly every time they followed this sequence! Japan was even doing it with a front row setter and no back row attack!

• poor Japan they are smashing on that 190 cm+ block over and over again :(
    i like Japanese opposite though really strong spikes considering Japanese standars :thumbup:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• poor Japan they are smashing on that 190 cm+ block over and over again :(
    i like Japanese opposite though really strong spikes considering Japanese standars :thumbup:

japan is playing with 6 pelin celik :D