Dutch NT 2011

• Communication and culture are the key. Guidetti from the beginning learned German language instead of asking the players to learn Italian or asking those who speak Italian to translate for the others like some coaches do (Raul Lozano...). Caprara won WCH 2006 because he had a team with Gamova and Sokolova in their very best shape. It's more their effort than Caprara's, because in all other years he didn't achieve such great results. Sure Lang Ping and McCutcheon achieve great results with USA, but they also have great players to work with. Guidetti doesn't have such great players but still he manages to prepare the team very well for most tournaments because there is just the right chemistry between coach and team. I don't say that foreign coaches generally fail, but I don't like the tendency to prefer foreign coaches just because for example Italian coaches are considered to be experts and achieve great successes with club teams. A Dutch team hasn't ever won Champions League (as far as I know...) but it doesn't mean that there aren't very good Dutch coaches who could work with NT just as good or better as a foreign coach...

• While I agree that it would be wrong to underestimate the importance of culture/language, I don't think you should underestimate the Dutch either! Of course it makes a big difference which language the coach speaks, but if it's English that makes it much easier, because all of these girls speak/understand it exceptionally well. As a native speaker I can tell you that their level is very high, even by Dutch standards (mostly due to being young, very well-travelled and watching an excessive amount of Gossip Girl :lol:) Certainly when the TVC girls had Chris Gonzalez as coach, it was "no big deal" to communicate in English.

Personally I'd love to see them have a foreign coach… Timeouts in English :woohoo:

• While I agree that it would be wrong to underestimate the importance of culture/language, I don't think you should underestimate the Dutch either! Of course it makes a big difference which language the coach speaks, but if it's English that makes it much easier, because all of these girls speak/understand it exceptionally well. As a native speaker I can tell you that their level is very high, even by Dutch standards (mostly due to being young, very well-travelled and watching an excessive amount of Gossip Girl :lol:) Certainly when the TVC girls had Chris Gonzalez as coach, it was "no big deal" to communicate in English.

Personally I'd love to see them have a foreign coach… Timeouts in English :woohoo:

Matt, I think the new headcoach should speak English very well, and should have the same culture. Best option: an American headcoach.

• Because I think you're talking in riddles, you understand what I'm saying? :rolll:

I know the word 'riddle' :D I don't share your opinion I talk in riddles :lol: :D

• 4th November 2011 - This is the first episode of 'five questions for.. ' In this new topic weekly somebody in volleyball-community is questioned about recent developments. First person to be questioned is Chaine Staelens. She will celebrate on Monday her 31st birthday, and starts on Thursday the Pre Olympcic Qualification Tournament in Croatia.

The end of September, during the ECH, you got injured. It seemed like a severe injury. But last weekend during the friendlies with Belgium, you seemed to be 100 % healthy again.
    What happened?

'I have had troubles with the lower part of my back for a long time, during ECH it was getting worse and worse. During the Azerbaidjan-game it went totally wrong and I was very disappointed I couldn't continue the tournament. After a MRI-scan proved there was no deterioration. After one week total rest, I continued practice with my club, Pioneer Red Wings in Japan. The Japanese Leauge hasn't started yet, so I could build up my condition slowly. I improved day by day, and now I am 100 % helathy again.'

Like last season, you will play current season for this club from Tendo, close to the area hit by the earthquake and tsunami. What's the situation now?

'Tendo is situated in the mountains, 80 km away from the severely hit city Sendai. The tsunami didn't reach Tendo, there was no damage to the buildings and there were no victims (dead people). If you drive from Tendo to the coast, the situation becomes totally different, but I don't go in that direction. Also the area aroound the nuclear reactor in Fukushima is a no-go area for me. Daily talks in Tendo at the moment are about the floods in Thailand. Around Bangkok many Japanese factories are situated, and there is no production anymore.'

You came back to the Netherlands, for preparation of Croatia-tournament, facing a new headcoach. What do you think about the situation?

'We were totally surprised and didn't expect it. The timing was bad, everybody was abroad (with their foreign club) and we all were not happy at all with it. We lose somebody, we have worked with during almost 8 years; somebody who is significant for who we are. Avital has done a lot for us, and we reached some good results. It is very difficult to continue without him. But my Olympic dream still exists and so I'm going through.''

What are your expectations for the tournament in Croatia?

'Well, it is necessary for us to win that tournament and we will !!. No, I'm not scared for a gym full of fanatical Croatians. I remember we played ECH 2005 in Croatia, and the gyms were surprisingly empty, even as Croatia was playing. We will - as always - think only about the next match. First Israel and after Greece. In 2008, we did a stage in Israel, but I can't remember many things about that team. We will certainly get informed during the preparing talks and video.'

If you will win the tournament in Croatia, you have to win a very strong tournament in May, to reach the Olympics. Winning the tournament in May, will presumably be very difficult?

'Like I already said, I believe in my Olympic dream and I believe/have confidence in this team/roster as well. The differences among European topteams are small and during a tournament we certainly get in the right flow, to make the decisive points. No single country will have a long period of preparation, because the tournament in May will take place, only a short period after the National Leagues. We have reached a high basic-level during Selinger-area. Last week it was proved once more. We played good matches against Belgium, after only one day of preparation.'

http://www.volleybal.nl/volley…ragen-aan-chaine-staelens

Especially for Chaine's biggest fan, the Girl from Ipanema ^^ ;)

• Thank you for sharing :flower:

Nice to hear that Chaine is well. I felt really bad after I saw her cry in ECH against Azerbaijan. ;( Thank God, she is at %100 now :super:

You're welcome, my friend :)

Yes, happy for Chaine :thumbsup:

You came back to the Netherlands, for preparation of Croatia-tournament, facing a new headcoach. What do you think about the situation?

'We were totally surprised and didn't expect it. The timing was bad, everybody was abroad (with their foreign club) and we all were not happy at all with it. We lose somebody, we have worked with during almost 8 years; somebody who is significant for who we are. Avital has done a lot for us, and we reached some good results. It is very difficult to continue without him. But my Olympic dream still exists and so I'm going through.''

I like this part, were respectful for ex coach, basically all players in Dutch NT are on this level because of him. Pity that person who fired him did such a shame decision.

• :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Thank u darling! You are the best always! :drink:

• I said that all players from Dutch team are on level they are because of him, of course that Sustring and etc players are not happy with him. But lets be honest that Dutch team made results only because his dedication and knowledge, you maybe don't like him but you cannot say that he is bad coach! Unfortunately Dutch girls are not athletic as Americans or Brazilian etc...Americans can ditch players as Metcalf and take player as Hooker or Hodge, Avital didn't have that possibilities with Dutch girls. Reason why he will make result and than need couple of yeas to make it again, his players need time to play high level volleyball (physically they are not high level as already mentioned Americans). Any way, time will show if Dutch federation made mistake, I think they did, but they problem not mine.

• I disagree. I think replacing Avital will turn out to be in the Dutch Federation's long-term interest. IMO, I don't like when federations keep the same coach for many, many years especially when the results aren't there. As with players, I prefer a gradual changing of the guard with each quadrennial. 8 years is a very long time to be in charge of a program and he simply wasn't able to produce the results required to keep his job. Being a head coach is like any other job in the world, you do a good job you keep it, you don't you're fired. I also disagree that the Dutch women's athleticism is what has kept them from doing well and limited their results. Italy isn't a very tall or athletic team either and they've been able to compete internationally pretty well. Season to season I don't see a lot of technical or tactical improvement with the Dutch team and that fault has to lie with the head coach. Defense, blocking, and serving are all pretty weak and could definitely be improved. I like the Dutch spirit, I just hope they can find a coach who can technically discipline them.