2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• Slovakia horrible play again, libero is the weakest Ive seen in this whole quali, Divis again showed his only overrated "star" and dont have team spirit for NT :whistle:

• Great win for Belgium Team.

Yes, congratulations to Belgium. Great day for Belge Volleyball. First the men and now the ladies qualify for WCH. Both in great style :thumbup:

It looks like the federation did a very good job recently in developing players and teams. And both coaches are from Belgium as well. Well done.

• It looks like the federation did a very good job recently in developing players and teams. And both coaches are from Belgium as well. Well done.

Well, we've known our dark ages (80s and most of the 90s): no real structure, no funding, lack of talent, ...
    The federation started the "Volleybal school" by the end of the 90s - begin 2000: best players (male and female) were withdrawn from their local teams and started central training and school program in a professional accommodation (trainers, kine, dietist, ...).
    We have to be very careful with our talent, because our federation only has some 50.000 members (a few years ago at least, no probably less).

Van de Voorde, Van den Dries, Verhees and Klinkenberg won bronze medal in 2007 against Russia in Youth European Championship.
    Van Hecke, Heyrman, Ilka Van de Vijver won gold medal in 2009 Youth European Championship.
    In last editions: boys and juniors won bronze medals (so more talent is coming...)

So the key is: long term planning. These recent successes were founded 10 years ago.

• If you have followed youth and junior volleyball in last 5 years Belgium was always among the best teams. Few years ago I heard about Vilvoorde, national volleyball camp and that was really interesting for me. I remember when I saw Deroo on youth ECH, astonishing player. New stars are Lecat, Van de Velde, Rousseaux, Stuer etc. All of them got through Vilvoorde and won bronze on Junior and Youth ECH last summer. I had opportunity to speak with Steven Vanmedegael, Belgium head coach, on Junior ECH in Poland last summer, most of my questions were related to Vilvoorde and I've to say Belgium has bright future. Maybe setter position is shaky one as Thijs wasn't convincing on Junior ECH although he got the best setter award. I like Depovere more.

I'm really disappointed with Croatia and Slovakia.

We had some problems between coach and federation president. Coach wanted to call players that took silver in EL this summer and exclude Omrčen, Kovačević, Vulin and Ćuk. President called them without consulting coach and created a lot of tensions around NT. Starting OH's during EL, Išek and Nojić, weren't called at all :aww:

I had some doubts regarding Slovakia but when I saw they've appointed Gulinelli as head coach it was crystal clear they are going to fail. I cant believe coach like Gulinelli can take any solid NT, this Slovakia was poor and tragic. Ondrušek as libero :rolll: he can play in Croatian 2nd division :aww: Diviš, overpaid and arogant "star", Nemec lost in time and space but put some efforts etc. Main Slovakian weakness was reception even though in their case we can't talk abou reception at all.

• Anyone who follows other sports than volleyball would notice Belgium are getting stronger in many sports. I don't know what the hell is going on in that country right now, they are a small country population wise and used to do traditionally bad at most things in sport not long ago.

• My first thought was as well: What the hell ?? ?(
    But I guess, it was not about the french player touching the ball or not. If you take a very close look, the belgium player pushes the ball into the block and you can argue that he still touches it after the french block action. There the ref might have a point. But you can say, that at least, it was a very courageous call 8) .

• I am sorry that Slovakia and Netherlands couldn't qualify, Netherlands have a lot of unrealised potential, if they had Horstink and Bontje the team would be closer to completion. From the other side, I am glad that both France and Belguim will go to the WCH, to bring more balance between offense and defense in Poland :) Not everyone likes powerful and athletic volleyball, fans need more back field spectacle I guess :)

• Netherlands have a lot of unrealised potential, if they had Horstink and Bontje the team would be closer to completion

Dutch volleyball journalists agree with you.

It's a fact Dutch NT has been a snake-pit over the last years...series of conflicts between players and coaches.. Horstink, Kooy, Bontje, Rauwerdink, Snippe, Lorsheijd, van Dijk, van Harskamp, Freriks...I might forget some more...

• My first thought was as well: What the hell ?? ?(
    But I guess, it was not about the french player touching the ball or not. If you take a very close look, the belgium player pushes the ball into the block and you can argue that he still touches it after the french block action. There the ref might have a point. But you can say, that at least, it was a very courageous call 8) .

well, tim, i haven't finished the whole match, just 3 sets, but the 2nd ref. later seemed to be too confused about calls, there was a very late call that the belgians were protesting a lot, then at least once lyneel and other french players collided while diving for the ball and went under the net to the belgian side and no calls were made... again the belgians protesting.

i noticed there are almost no walloons in the belgian team? all flemish...

don't know this team but the setter depestele seems kinda of aggressive and rude to both the french and his own teammates?> also the CEV website lists him as being greek?????

http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…s.aspx?TeamID=8210&ID=673

• Do you imply correlation between being rude and being greek? Or are you implying that they are implying that?

• i noticed there are almost no walloons in the belgian team? all flemish...

There is only 1 Walloon player in the selection, namely Kevin Klinkenberg.
    Francois Lecat is another Walloon player, currently playing for Maaseik. He will make it to the national team sooner or later.

In Belgium, there are 2 volleyball federations: VVB (Flemish Volley Federation) and AIF (Association interprovinciale Francophone).
    The VVB is much bigger in terms of members, the "Volleybalschool" in Vilvoorde is a VVB initiatif, the Belgian professional league only has 2 Walloon teams ranked at the bottom, ...

In other words: volleybal is much more developed in the Flemish region.

I would like to see volleyball get much more attraction in the southern part of Belgium, but unfortunately that's not the case at this moment.

• don't know this team but the setter depestele seems kinda of aggressive and rude to both the french and his own teammates?> also the CEV website lists him as being greek?????

He is definitely not Greek. He used to play for Iraklis and Panathinaikos.

He's never rude, mostly respectful for his opponents, always keeps an understanding with the opponent.
    Very much in contrast with the French arrogance: always trying to intimidate the opponent after a succesful block (Rouzier, Lyneel) or attack (Rouzier, N'Gapeth).
    I don't think the French realized how much this attitude motivated the Belgian players to beat them.

• i just finished the FRA x BEL match.

toniutti was amazing, specially later in the match connecting well with legoff and leroux. but rouzier was just a monster, the belgian block just couldn't stop him. never seen him plays so well before… ngapeth was pathetic.

has tillie not made up his mind who his starting setter is? sometimes he goes with redwitz, sometimes toniutti?

and what is he doing to his son… tillie came in, made one hitting error and was taken out immediately???? ;(

my first time seeing the BEL team. very balanced team, no big stars, all contributed well. good on defense too. congrats to them.

• now that i look at the groups, anyone else think maybe finland had a too easy group? maybe netherlands would have Q if they were in that group with finland?

what happened to maan?

As far as I know Jelte Maan is injured :teach:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• now that i look at the groups, anyone else think maybe finland had a too easy group? maybe netherlands would have Q if they were in that group with finland?

what happened to maan?

No, I don't think Finland had an easy group. In fact, it was the most balanced group. Finland was also not playing at home, which made matter even more challenging and it proved they fully deserved their qualification. The Netherlands might've made it to the WCH in a group with Finland, who knows.