2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• Congratulations, Germany! A very unexpected finish of the tournament by them. Vital Heynen's challenge to Sidibe's face interaction was just marvellous :thumbsup: It's been maybe two years since Kaliberda was last allowed to jump serve like he used to in Unterhaching. I mean in the NT mostly, I can't say if he did it in Italy as I haven't watched all of his games. Heynen forced him to use power during the last two days and it paid off. I am sure he hadn't practiced if that much over the last months, but it seems like even he can take control of it and do it properly, unlike our Sokolov. Kaliberda has a good serve and I am glad he can finally use it. The German team is full of good floaters, so I have always thought forcing Kaliberda and Bohme to float was a bit too cautious. OK, Bohme hasn't been as consistent from the service line as 1-2 years ago, but Kaliberda deserved credit to use power, just as Grozer.

France's second setter Jaumel is an interesting player. I am sure he was kind of nervous because of his first major NT role, even mostly as a back-up in this tournament, but he seems to use back sets quite a lot, like maybe 70-80% of the time, which makes him quite predictable. In the third set today Jaumel-Sidibe replaced Toniutti-Rouzier and Sidibe got a lot of balls, probably more than he should have. And that challenge from Heynen definitely clinched it, otherwise France was being on a roll and could've made it to a fourth set.

Anyway, a very surprising straight-set win for Germany. I believe, however, France deserved a medal set just as much.

• By the way, Germany, as a country, doesn't deserve the success of these guys. Their sports coverage and television totally showed the significance of the event and the result. I don't care if it is Polsat or some other reason for disallowing the live coverage yesterday night, this is embarrassing! Thanks to sportdeutschland for the good job with the live streams (despite some inaccuracies which may not have happened). If it wasn't for them, it would be a total shame for Germany. A country that pays more for equestrianism and wouldn't air a bronze medal match or a semifinal at a World Championship, with a German team participating, in a team sport doesn't deserve bronze medals! Luckily, the German players and coaches do.

• lol what a weird challenge. Heynen saw Sidibé hit the net with his damn NOSE, what the hell.

That must be the funniest (and the most brilliant perhaps) challenge throughout the tournament, and I guess to everyone's surprise, Heynen won it! It was a really crucial point which definitely settled the 3rd set.

I would sincerely congratulate team Germany on their breakthrough and the well-deserved bronze medal. I have read a couple of German players tweet #ProjektYOLO, not sure exactly what it stands for (You Only Live Once?), but I'm glad they realize it!

Vital Heynen to me is an amazing coach. I started to know him when he was coaching Maasseik. At that time Maasseik was an underdog in ECL or something and they were playing one of the big favorites (Trentino-like). Although the game was not wonderful, he showed overwhelmingly passionate about the game and the team. Later on I learned that he replace Lozano to helm the German NT, which were kind of miserable when they were kicked out in the first round of 2011 ECH. So I think Heynen really made a difference, they firstly qualified the WL final in 2012, and then the top8 in the OG, and after another two-year endeavor they were rewarded with a medal in a major event.

Honestly I would say I can never really know what is in Heynen's head. This guy can lead the team to beat Russia 3-0, and can also use weird bench player line-up to lose to Japan 2-3. He can risk playing a setter to the opposite (Kuhner). He can start a player (Fromm) in the semifinal who barely played at all in the tournament. And I just gave up on guessing what he would do for the next step, because I knew it would be out of my imagination.

As basically half of the German squad have played/are playing/are going to play in Plusliga, I always had a weird feeling that the match between Germany and Poland was an all-star match of Plusliga where there were a Pole's team and a international player team which were led by head coach of Bydgoszcz. I know Germany won't be Poles' best friend for some historical reasons. But from I witnessed, the audience weren't giving German guys any hard times. Anyways, I'm glad there is no more drama here.

So I guess let's hope this team continue to entertain us, surprise us, and amaze us.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Deutschland :drink:

• Can someone clarify this - the Sidibe nose net touch - I thought the net foul now was about touching the top of the net? Is it any part of the tape then? I thought Sidibe brushed the net with his nose, but not at the top of the net - but still the lining (hope this makes sense!!)

I remember this happened to Murillo (was it at WL?) he touched the net with his hair though, but in the same position!

• A very good review on Team Germany and Heynen and everything that happened to them in the last several years practically :thumbup:

• Can someone clarify this - the Sidibe nose net touch - I thought the net foul now was about touching the top of the net? Is it any part of the tape then? I thought Sidibe brushed the net with his nose, but not at the top of the net - but still the lining (hope this makes sense!!)

I remember this happened to Murillo (was it at WL?) he touched the net with his hair though, but in the same position!

It's illegal to touch the white top part of the net, that's it. There is a metal rope which is really the top of the net, keeping it straight from side to side, but as it is covered in this white band it is thought of as the top of the net, the tape. And you can't touch it. The situation with Murilo's hair was also a controversial one, but then it's really a hard decision to make. Because the net didn't actually move then. It's the ref's call.

• Thanks guys for clarifying! :thumbsup:

• Congratulations to Germany, they were the biggest surprise in this tournament. Deserved medal, nothing to say!

I'm sorry for France, they didn't show their usual game tonight, maybe after yesterday's semifinal they were less motivated. Anyway congrats also to them, I liked their game and attitude!

• Congratulations to Germany! I am not surprised that they played well, they had steadily improving performance in the last three years.

• Congrats to Germany! I will always associate them with professionalism and consistency at major events :obey:

Now if Brazil play near their best Poland would have to come up with something really extraordinary to beat them.

• Brazil with almost perfect game so far ;(

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Question to Poles: what does the Polish audience sing every once in a while that starts with "Polskaaaa"?

Poland Red and White

• Question to Poles: what does the Polish audience sing every once in a while that starts with "Polskaaaa"?

Polska biało-czerwoni?

It means Poland white and red. The song is known as "Go West" or "Stand up (for the champion)"

• Im not watching yet but maybe you mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdrdiWP-jgQ ?

Edit: Ok I was too slow :rolll: