USA NT 2012

• Now it's clear why Metcalf was playing in starting six all the time...During the GP final McCutcheon just practised the double substitution with Haneef and Thompson... :)

• Can't simply believe such players are out of the Olympic Games. Glass and Bown have been working with the team for many years...so for me It's a big shock. I prefer Heather Bown to Scott and A.Glass to Thompson. Everyone expected Lloyd to come to the NT but she didn't due to the fact that USA has Berg and Glass. But what's that with Thompson? Hard to believe...

I'm also quite sad not to see Richards and Metcalf there. They could have been a better choice than Miyashiro and Haneef.

• Oh my... Can't believe it.. I thought Glass' place was guarantied and also I thought Hugh will take Bown over Scott.. (although I like both very much, I think if a sub is needed Bown can play more that Scott). Also I though Richards will make it as a 4th outside and Myashiro would be cut... But it is what it is.. So I hope they'll bring the GOLD!

• Can't simply believe such players are out of the Olympic Games. Glass and Bown have been working with the team for many years...so for me It's a big shock. I prefer Heather Bown to Scott and A.Glass to Thompson. Everyone expected Lloyd to come to the NT but she didn't due to the fact that USA has Berg and Glass. But what's that with Thompson? Hard to believe...

I'm also quite sad not to see Richards and Metcalf there. They could have been a better choice than Miyashiro and Haneef.

I totally agree with you...some choices have been really strange to me! it would be curious to know his reasons...

• As for Glass... For me it's a big shock :!: :!: I don't understand McCutcheon philosophy of the seter...First Lloyd was cut, now Glass...Glass is a player who can play in starting six instead of Berg and USA still can win the OG :!: Thompson is a player only for a double substitution...It's risky to take her. I hope Berg will be healthy :aww:

Totally agree! I'm OK with Scott and Haneef over Bown and Metcalf, but Thompson going is a big big surprise, and I'm not sure if it's a good decision. If anything happens to Berg, Glass would be a much better option, and I really didn't find Thompson very impressive when she entered during WGP matches, except for her defense and serves, but that should not be the main criteria for a setter...

• Or He has conflict with Glass or doesn't like something in Her so He hadn't choice and choose Thompson. She seems to be very "closed".

• Totally agree! I'm OK with Scott and Haneef over Bown and Metcalf, but Thompson going is a big big surprise, and I'm not sure if it's a good decision. If anything happens to Berg, Glass would be a much better option, and I really didn't find Thompson very impressive when she entered during WGP matches, except for her defense and serves, but that should not be the main criteria for a setter...

I agree.. Berg has a knee problem, so I don't think Thompson is the best back up, for a double sub she is better than Glass (although we did not see the double sum when Hooker and Berg are in play) but as a setter in the game - Glass all the way.. And it must be very heartbreaking because Alisha was with the USA always from the 2010 WGP and was a starting setter at the WCH!!

• I agree.. Berg has a knee problem, so I don't think Thompson is the best back up, for a double sub she is better than Glass (although we did not see the double sum when Hooker and Berg are in play) but as a setter in the game - Glass all the way.. And it must be very heartbreaking because Alisha was with the USA always from the 2010 WGP and was a starting setter at the WCH!!

No, they did it very often... I hope Lin's knee problem will let her to play the whole tournament in peace...

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• I found Hugh very cocky after her players choice, apparently he trust starters too much he doesn't care bench, only for double subs. If there is a unlucky injury, USA won't be that clear favourite anymore, especially since Berg is not 100% healthy player, USA mustn't expect to play all the matches with Berg and as we all know in USA's group there is no easy match :whistle:

Anyway we will see if Hugh makes a correct decision or not in 3 weeks 8)

• Berg is fine I don't know why everyone is making it sound like she's walking on crutches. If she wasn't 100% healthy Hugh would definitely be taking that into account. As I already mentioned, Thompson has been in the program since 2007 and is an experienced player. Particularly at the setting position MOST coaches are VERY conservative and put their money on one pony. For example, Italy, China, Korea, Russia, etc. They are all relying on their top setter to perform and Thompson is probably better than most of those nations back up setters. Just because Glass has a higher profile doesn't mean she's a better player. USA's success during tournaments where GLass started have more to do with the quality of their attackers and passing than they do with her individual performance. Technically speaking she is prone to breakdown and has a lot of poor placements, particularly in double sub situations.

Did you watch the World Cup and see how little playing time Glass got with a healthy Berg on the floor? That's what Hugh is looking to do at the Olympics.

• No, they did it very often... I hope Lin's knee problem will let her to play the whole tournament in peace...

Can you tell me a match from 2011 to now where Glass and Hannef or any back up opp enter when Lindsay and Hooker are on court.. I mean when USA is playing with their A line - up ?? In the WGP 2011 final Glass entered only to sub Berg when blocking for 1 rotation..

• Now it's clear why Metcalf was playing in starting six all the time...During the GP final McCutcheon just practised the double substitution with Haneef and Thompson... :)

Ohh didn't see it in that way.

About Glass, I don't know if you remember but she was the first setter in WGP2010 and WCH2010, she played and played every match but in semfinals she just played so bad (nerves maybe) and Berg finished playing the match.
    After that, she never played as first setter when Berg is in the list.

• Berg is fine I don't know why everyone is making it sound like she's walking on crutches. If she wasn't 100% healthy Hugh would definitely be taking that into account. As I already mentioned, Thompson has been in the program since 2007 and is an experienced player. Particularly at the setting position MOST coaches are VERY conservative and put their money on one pony. For example, Italy, China, Korea, Russia, etc. They are all relying on their top setter to perform and Thompson is probably better than most of those nations back up setters. Just because Glass has a higher profile doesn't mean she's a better player. USA's success during tournaments where GLass started have more to do with the quality of their attackers and passing than they do with her individual performance. Technically speaking she is prone to breakdown and has a lot of poor placements, particularly in double sub situations.

Did you watch the World Cup and see how little playing time Glass got with a healthy Berg on the floor? That's what Hugh is looking to do at the Olympics.

Sorry, generally we are in the same page but not this time :whistle: I totally think that Glass has better setting technique and deserve more.

And for Berg, although she is healthy now, she has very big troubles with her knee in the past so it is always possible to repeat again. That's why having a good back-up setter for a player having chronic injury is very crucial ;)

• (...) and Thompson is probably better than most of those nations back up setters. Just because Glass has a higher profile doesn't mean she's a better player. (..).

I watched quite a few matches of Thompson when she played in Austria in 2010/11 and I was never impressed at all by her play, I really can't understand how she could be chosen over Glass and Lloyd. Glass has much more experience on international level even though Thompson might be in NT longer.

Of course, most NTs rely on their starting setter, but still coaches should try to bring the best possible backup. Italy will be screwed if anything happens to Lo Bianco and Rondon has to play, and it would be similar for USA probably...

• It seems that yes, so final US roster is announced
    L: Davis, Miyashiro
    S: Berg, Thompson
    MB: Scott-Aruda, Akinradewo, Harmotto
    OH: Larson, Hodge, Tom
    OP: Haneef-Park, Hooker

Even if tough cuts were always expected for this USA team, reading the list as "official" still hits hard. But happy for the players who are on the team. This is a fine group and I'll be cheering them on ^^

I suppose that players below will play in Pan-Am Cup:
    S: A. Glass, Lloyd
    MB: Bown, Tamas
    OH: Richards, Barboza
    OP; Metcalf, Fawcett

I'm not wishing for Bown and Metcalf to be starters in the Pan Ams.

It's not that I think they are above playing in this tournament. But I want the likes of Gibbemeyer and Fawcett to be relied on as soon as possible. :)

• A player that had a knee injury is not the same and it is very dangerous.... Lindsey doesn't use her jump serve in all the matches and I think this decision is related to the conditions of her knee... She can do everythink but sometimes she doesn't feel good also when she does normal daily actions... I hope no one will get injured in the OG, it doens't metter the jersey she/he wears...

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I don't really know what to say other than it's the nature of the beast. It hurts, but life continues. Seeking closure and moving on.
    Thanks to all who supported USA #7.

Heather Bown.

• so sad Heather Bown won't be in London!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall: ;(

• Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I don't really know what to say other than it's the nature of the beast. It hurts, but life continues. Seeking closure and moving on.
    Thanks to all who supported USA #7.

Heather Bown.

It's not fair! She's better than Scott. ;(