2012 Olympic Games

• There is no European team on the semifinals.
    Do you still want more spots for them at the Olympics? Second time in a row that there are only Asians and Americans...

:super: :super: :super: :super:

It is xactly what I wonder :whistle:

Great Korea, 2nd setter and Hwang changed the match after first st, very clever substitution from Korean coach :drink:

2 Asian teams in semifinal :super: Go Japan, Go Korea. I has been long time that 2 Asian tams played in semi final.

• It is xactly what I wonder :whistle:

Great Korea, 2nd setter and Hwang changed the match after first st, very clever substitution from Korean coach :drink:

2 Asian teams in semifinal :super: Go Japan, Go Korea. I has been long time that 2 Asian tams played in semi final.

:drink: :super: :thumbsup:

• Wow...this is a shock eventually, but Korea totally and absolutely deserved to win today! Italy totally gave up in 4th set, and while they certainly did not look pleased after the defeat, they did not look nearly as devastated as the Chinese players (I haven't seen the Russians yet...).

In the end, what I predicted for Italy before the tournament came true. They lost again in QF, but I really did not expect it to be against Korea. This was a much better opportunity to reach semis than in 2004 vs Cuba or 2008 vs USA. As I expected, the old ladies were not hungry enough for success and that became obvious today in the end. I hope for Italy's future that they can build a new strong team around Arrighetti, Ortolani and the Bosetti sisters, I expect that most of the others retire now, at least I hope so even though Italy hosts the next WCH. They will not succeed there either with the old ladies...

• It's the battle of The Americas vs Asia... :drink: :thumbsup: :super: :cup: :dance6:

• Who saw that coming?!

What a nightmare for European volleyball. I think that in general European teams have problems pacing themselves for the Olympics. They never manage to peak quite at the right time. I wonder why that's so... Italy had all the time in the world to prepare for this (as well as the last time in Beijing). They had qualified last November already, but they never got anything going. Turkey peaked at Grand Prix it seems. They have nothing to be ashamed about their performances here, but they could have pulled just that tiny bit extra out of themselves which would have secured them the QFs. Russia again seemed to have hit a plateau they just couldn't go over, although playing Brazil in QF already was major bad luck. As for Serbia, no comments obviously.
    And jeez, aren't the top two European teams OLD?!

Korea did put a smile to my face. They played like they didn't have a single worry in the world. Very pleasant to watch. :)

• What a terrible match by the Italian team. Congrats to Korea, they played really well and exploited all the italian weaknesses that Barbolini just ignored in the last months. Now Italy has to move on and play with younger players and definitely a new coach.

• Wow...this is a shock eventually, but Korea totally and absolutely deserved to win today! Italy totally gave up in 4th set, and while they certainly did not look pleased after the defeat, they did not look nearly as devastated as the Chinese players (I haven't seen the Russians yet...).

In the end, what I predicted for Italy before the tournament came true. They lost again in QF, but I really did not expect it to be against Korea. This was a much better opportunity to reach semis than in 2004 vs Cuba or 2008 vs USA. As I expected, the old ladies were not hungry enough for success and that became obvious today in the end. I hope for Italy's future that they can build a new strong team around Arrighetti, Ortolani and the Bosetti sisters, I expect that most of the others retire now, at least I hope so even though Italy hosts the next WCH. They will not succeed there either with the old ladies...

IMO 2008 was the only year Italy had the opportunity to win the gold. They just won every match 3-0 until Del Core and Aguero problems. This year they had many problems and were lucky to be in easier pool.

And I agree they should retire!!

• Woow ! Congratulations Korea!

I am not surprised with their victory as I predicted 3-1 victory for them(probably I am the only one that predicted in favor of Korea). I didn't watch 1st set but I am in a little curiosity how Italy won it 25-18 :lol: Korean 2nd setter was just GREAT! She was so creative and made the difference. She used Kim very well in decive moments and contributed a lot! Thanks to her, both of Korean middles scored many points.

Italy :wavy: They MUST change their roster and find new faces. Bosetti sisters aren't enough I think. They don't have any strong OH-OPP that they can trust in decive moments. I am curious if Gioli, Lo Bianco, Piccinini will retire or play in WCH 2014.

• Woow ! Congratulations Korea!

I am not surprised with their victory as I predicted 3-1 victory for them(probably I am the only one that predicted in favor of Korea). I didn't watch 1st set but I am in a little curiosity how Italy won it 25-18 :lol: Korean 2nd setter was just GREAT! She was so creative and made the difference. She used Kim very well in decive moments and contributed a lot! Thanks to her, both of Korean middles scored many points.

Italy :wavy: They MUST change their roster and find new faces. Bosetti sisters aren't enough I think. They don't have any strong OH-OPP that they can trust in decive moments. I am curious if Gioli, Lo Bianco, Piccinini will retire or play in WCH 2014.

actually cocobol also predicted a 3-1 victory for korea :thumbup:

• Maybe it's too soon for prognostics, but, heck, it's fun, anyway.

I think Korea achieved a major thing tonight against Italy. They had a really good match against USA at the beginning of the tournament, but I don't think they can be a threat for them, even if they play like they did today. In the other semi, though obviously Brazil is a much better match for Japan than Russia, I'll give the edge to Brazil. Both teams had to overcome themselves, had true battles today, but, in a way, with Brazil coming from such a traumatic experience already in their group round, I think they're gonna feed from this very unexpected victory and put a great match, closer to what we've seen they're capable of. So, I'm going for a reprise of the last olympic final, this time, with a different outcome. But for Brazil, after everything they've been through, a silver medal should be already an amazing reward (obviously they'll strive for more, but I think that's out of reach). And then we'll have a super epic asian battle for bronze medal, which might kill all the rest of us that haven't died today yet. :thumbsup:

• Italy had all the time in the world to prepare for this (as well as the last time in Beijing). They had qualified last November already, but they never got anything going.

It's true about now but not in Beijing. Barbolini and the team are to blame for this Olympics' debacle. But in Beijing two big problems (Del Core and Aguero) plus Barazza's injury undermined their performance.

• I read this quote from Ze Roberto following their match and I dunno I just don't find this man to be classy in any shape or form:

“Tomara que ela se aposente. É uma atacante muito talentosa. Não sei
    dizer se é a melhor do mundo porque não acho que ela é completa, ela não
    tem um bloqueio e uma defesa tão boas. Mas como atacante ela é fora de
    série”, resumiu José Roberto Guimarães, técnico do Brasil.

"I hope she retires. She is a very talented attacker. I don't know if she's the best in the world because I don't believe she's a complete player, she's not a very good blocker or defender. But as an attacker she's off the charts"

Not saying what he said isn't true but it just doesn't seem like the appropriate thing to say right after such a match about a player that is about to retire. Brazil has an amazing program and I give them all the credit in the world for winning but I just never think they are classy.

• Italy :wavy: They MUST change their roster and find new faces. Bosetti sisters aren't enough I think. They don't have any strong OH-OPP that they can trust in decive moments. I am curious if Gioli, Lo Bianco, Piccinini will retire or play in WCH 2014.

Bosetti's sisters are clearly not enough, but Gioli, Barazza, Del Core, Costagrande, Picci, Croce, Cardullo, Anzanello should definitely leave their places to younger players. Some of them should have left the team earlier IMO, but Barbolini :whistling:

• Yes, Matthias you were right about ITA. I overrated this team before the tournament. Maybe it was becouse I always try to support old players and I wanted them to win olympic medal. In fact they played very well. RUS beat them but ITA weren't worse team. Of course it was obviuos they they have no chances in 5th set with Rondon as a setter. And now this disaster match against Korea. No words. they didn't diserve for the medal. I love surprises and I will support Korea in next matches. The Korean coach created a great team in which KYK isn't the only one who can play volleyball.

So now we know that for sure KOR or JPN will win a medal :!: :teach: I hope both of them will do this!

• Who saw that coming?!

What a nightmare for European volleyball. I think that in general European teams have problems pacing themselves for the Olympics. They never manage to peak quite at the right time. I wonder why that's so... Italy had all the time in the world to prepare for this (as well as the last time in Beijing). They had qualified last November already, but they never got anything going. Turkey peaked at Grand Prix it seems. They have nothing to be ashamed about their performances here, but they could have pulled just that tiny bit extra out of themselves which would have secured them the QFs. Russia again seemed to have hit a plateau they just couldn't go over, although playing Brazil in QF already was major bad luck. As for Serbia, no comments obviously.
    And jeez, aren't the top two European teams OLD?!

Korea did put a smile to my face. They played like they didn't have a single worry in the world. Very pleasant to watch. :)

Totally agree about Korea. They played like a team that has nothing to lose because they already achieved their goal and everything else was just bonus. It seems whenever they are outsiders, they just play their game and surprise everyone. Actually their style of play is the one I enjoy most of all semifinalists. Both setters are very good, and they always create something, they don't just play standard balls like for example Japan does now. Even Kim hardly ever attacks "normal" balls but always different speeds and at different locations. I hope Korea will at least get Bronze, I don't think they have a real chance against USA but I thought the same today, so who knows??

About European teams, it's true. They never come perfectly prepared for OG. Italy 4 years ago was unlucky to lose Del Core short before the tournament, but I still consider it a very bad move to let Aguero play OH back then instead. Serbia was unlucky, no doubt, but as I said before, the injury of others is no reason for the healthy players to play THAT bad. Italy and Russia urgently need to build younger teams in the coming years! European volleyball is very balanced, but it seems all of them can play just for 3rd-10th places in the world...

• It's true about now but not in Beijing. Barbolini and the team are to blame for this Olympics' debacle. But in Beijing two big problems (Del Core and Aguero) plus Barazza's injury undermined their performance.

Barazza's injury? C mon! Italy was just fine with Gioli and Guiggi.

• About European teams, it's true. They never come perfectly prepared for OG. Italy 4 years ago was unlucky to lose Del Core short before the tournament, but I still consider it a very bad move to let Aguero play OH back then instead.

Barbolini's error back then was to not call Rinieri instead, who had the last great season in Serie A1