Germany - DVL 1. Bundesliga 2012/13

• Congrats to Schwerin :flower: :flower: :flower:

I almost got a heartattack at some moments :white:

Dresden was again great in serve (Apitz !!!! ) and defense (Davis !!! ) today :flower: :flower: And Utla is a totally different player (much better) now than she showed during the regular season :obey: :obey:

Quinta was great today. Hanke served great as always ...her setting was not that precise at certain moments, especially to position 4. Anne had again difficulties in reception. :S She looked very tired to me in the second part of the game..

I'm happy Thomsen was back...she is more stable than Völker

• I know that :lol: It's just a bit poor that after two seasons the commentators haven't got their heads around the pronounciation… The one that calls him "Toon Baus" is at least making an effort

Coming back to that once again....I just had Google translator pronounce "Buijs" for me, and I'd NEVER guessed that this is the correct way to say it. Sounds like "Bü-veys" and is totally unpronouncable for Germans, so we'll go on with "Mister Boyce" for now :lol:

• "Bü-veys

It's certainly not like that :D

The 'ui' or 'uij' is simply non-existent in German language, so I can fully understand it is pronounced wrongly :D

• sounds like in latin languages? do you know?

No not at all, the way I'd describe it (as an English speaker) is somewhere between the "ou" of "house" and the "o" of "hose"… There are almost no equivalents of the Dutch ui/uij/uy sound in other languages… Some obscure examples include in the dialect of English spoken in Lancashire (northern England), where they pronounce "house" similarly to the dutch "huis" (which has the same meaning)… Similar thing possibly in Eastern Canada, but nothing in standard British or American English. :wall:

So speakers of other languages can use the closest sounds in their own language, such as the example I gave of pronouncing "Buijs" so it rhymes with "house", which is still not 'correct' but WAY better than "Boyce".

Oh and my translator pronounced "Anne Buijs" as "Anne Tube" :lol: :cheesy: ("tube" is the literal meaning of "buis", which is the modern spelling of "buijs")

Edit 1: And the reason why I know all of this: Her name is Manon van Gruijthuijsen :lol: :teach:

Edit 2: Guess whose birthday it is… Appropriately enough, Robin de Kruijf :rolll:

• sounds like in latin languages? do you know?

In French these sounds do exist.
    'eu' is like in jeu
    'uij' is like in feuille
    :teach:

PS it is strange that Buijs is unpronouncable for Germans when there is a German city called Duisburg :D

• In French these sounds do exist.
    'eu' is like in jeu
    'uij' is like in feuille
    :teach:

PS it is strange that Buijs is unpronouncable for Germans when there is a German city called Duisburg :D

Thanks, the French examples are some help :thumbsup: But Duisburg is pronounced "Düsburg", so that's again different ;)

Google translator had very different pronouncations of "Buijs", "Kruijf" and "Muijlwijk", but I guess in fact the -uij- is pronounced the same way in all those names?

• In French these sounds do exist.
    'eu' is like in jeu
    'uij' is like in feuille

Exactly :drink: :drink: :drink:

So, the German commentators should learn French now :D

• but I guess in fact the -uij- is pronounced the same way in all those names?

Indeed :win: like in the French word 'feuille" :win:

• Denise Hanke received the award as MVP of the season yesterday, it's the 2nd season in a row she gets it :cup:

A newspaper from Hamburg writes that Jasova, Wedekind, Michel, Radzuweit and Hero will all leave Hamburg's team, so (once again), they have to completely rebuild their team. Their coach von Soosten wants a team with professional players who don't study or work besides playing Volleyball, but the club has less money available for next season, so it will be hard for them to create a strong team...

• Denise Hanke received the award as MVP of the season yesterday, it's the 2nd season in a row she gets it :cup:

A newspaper from Hamburg writes that Jasova, Wedekind, Michel, Radzuweit and Hero will all leave Hamburg's team, so (once again), they have to completely rebuild their team. Their coach von Soosten wants a team with professional players who don't study or work besides playing Volleyball, but the club has less money available for next season, so it will be hard for them to create a strong team...

Hinriksen, Merkova, Michel, Wedekind, Jasova, Hero, Radzuweit...and I can't imagine Femke Stoltenborg to stay either...So 8 :!: :!: players leave Hamburg....

Congrats to Hanke :flower: :flower: :flower:

• Because I don't speak french, perhaps someone of the dutch users can speak the three names Buijs, deKruijf and Muijlwijk, record this and give us a link to a file so we can hear it? :-)

Perhaps it is the right moment to explain german cities and their club names (especially for joanamms and some others).

The cities are called

Schwerin
    Dresden
    Münster (this is a special case where the "er" is really part of the city name)

Normally if the shortcut of the club name is behind the city, the "er" is attached to the city name:
    Schweriner SC
    Dresdner SC (you see, the city of Dresden is also a special case because the "e" of "Dresden" is removed)

For the city of Münster the special case would be "Münsteraner SC" if any club wants to attach the shortcut. But in reality not any club in Münster uses this because it sounds terrible.

But it is more complicated with other things. If you just add the year of establishment, there is no "er" attached to the city name.

Some examples (also from football).

Traktor Schwerin, Schweriner SC
    Dynamo Dresden, Dresdner SC
    MTV Stuttgart, VfB Stuttgart, Stuttgarter Kickers
    USC Münster, SC Preußen Münster, SC Münster 08
    Hannover 96 (city name is Hannover). If someone watches equestrian he perhaps heard of the horse race "Hannoveraner".

And something more to tell:
    I am living in Münster, so I am a Münsteraner.
    Someone living in Hannover is a Hannoveraner.
    Someone living in Dresden is a Dresdener (or Dresdner).
    Someone living in Hamburg is a Hamburger (no, please don't eat him!)
    Someone living in Schwerin is a Schweriner

• We are getting more and more off-topic, but a great post, Nirk ( a kind of Deutschlandkunde :) )

• Hinriksen, Merkova, Michel, Wedekind, Jasova, Hero, Radzuweit...and I can't imagine Femke Stoltenborg to stay either...So 8 :!: :!: players leave Hamburg....

I suppose Vandesteene will also leave, earlier they said only one of the foreign OHs would get a new contract offer, and since Ammerman already signed, that probably means Vandesteene won't stay unless the management changed their mind. And also Paulina Brys who was out the whole season with a shoulder injury is very questionable, so in the end it's quite possible that Ammerman and Michalski will be the only ones staying in Hamburg...

• Because I don't speak french, perhaps someone of the dutch users can speak the three names Buijs, deKruijf and Muijlwijk, record this and give us a link to a file so we can hear it? :-)