Men's World Championship 2018

• i don't understand why fivb doesn't learn the lessons from 2010 and 2014.

sometimes things are done a certain way because there's pros and cons. maybe i don't agree with something, but there's a reason to do something a certain way. but what are the pros of groups of 3?

• http://www.volleywood.net/voll…to-denies-any-wrongdoing/

"In the last points, taken by a huge surge of adrenaline, at the height of the tension of the final stretch of the game, I ended up releasing a ball, unintentionally, that went towards the court"

Which leads us to the question...if it was the adrenaline that made the ball go out of his hands, what substance made the ball get into his hands in first place? :roll:

I would also wondered why he went in a corner of the court (probably even behind the line judge, if I recall it well), hide the ball behind is back, then went foward haed, and finally "accidentally" dropped it in a way that miracolously did't hurt anyone...

• This format is just ridiculous, it reduces what is meant to be the business end of the tournament down to a series of exhibition matches with second-stringers playing. Why not just go to a knockout format with QFs/SFs/Final? Or perhaps even knockout once the initial group stage is complete? There are way too many matches and the tournament is too long.

• wondering why people are trashing Douglas on the match against Russia. He didn't play too well, but imo he played decent enough to help Brazil won.

As I said before, most people are rooting for him to fail. But he still scored with over 40% and made the last two points in the tie-break, so... :whistle:

• As I said before, most people are rooting for him to fail. But he still scored with over 40% and made the last two points in the tie-break, so... :whistle:

I watched the rematch and was waiting for him to fail miserably coz that's what people said and onto the 3rd set, he was playing actually quite decent. I am still living for the Douglas + Maque combo on the defense. And frok what I read on Twitter Douglas is playing really well again agianst USA.

• This format is just ridiculous, it reduces what is meant to be the business end of the tournament down to a series of exhibition matches with second-stringers playing. Why not just go to a knockout format with QFs/SFs/Final? Or perhaps even knockout once the initial group stage is complete? There are way too many matches and the tournament is too long.

We talk about FIVB. What do you expect? Useless tournaments and formats are their must! :lol:

i don't understand why fivb doesn't learn the lessons from 2010 and 2014.

sometimes things are done a certain way because there's pros and cons. maybe i don't agree with something, but there's a reason to do something a certain way. but what are the pros of groups of 3?

The primary objective of FIVB is monetization, not the overall quality of the tournament. Volleyball is not a sport attracting widespread attention worldwide, so they need to attract as many audience as possible. The easiest way to guarantee success in this department is to get the host nation alive till the final part of the tournament. A knockout stage starting with QF makes the best sense for a tournament with 24 teams, but the uncertainty in determining the fate of the host nation in one game makes this an unfavorable format from the organizer's perspective. A round robin system in the 2nd and even 3rd phase would allow for the host nation to continue to take advantage of: (i) the victories they collected in previous phases when facing the weaker opponents; (ii) a manipulated draw of lots in pool distribution.

• That's a good point.

Anyway, the semi and finals were sold out before the WCh even started, and the match in Turin were sold out after/during Milan, so - at least on the halls, may be less in tv - it wouldn't have changed much.

It would have been nice a solution like in the ECh: top 4 goes to quarterfinals, second and third to eightfinal.

Ok, probably too many teams in third phase (and too many matches...) but less chance for useless match/'conspiration' in the second phase and zero chances after the second phase.