Italy - SuperLega UnipolSai 2015-2016

• Please, you sound like someone who started watching volleyball in September 2015 :) De Cecco is not in a good shape, but he is a great setter, among the best in the new generation and he is surely not overrated. In a bad state right now at most.

Maybe it's you the one who started not so time ago and I tell you why (just kidding) :) 10 years ago De Cecco wouldn't have been considered among the best ones at all, because the overall level was by far better than now (Ricardo, Meoni, Grbic, Ball, Zagumny etc.). De Cecco is a good setter as I said, but has a lot of weaknesses and the biggest one is the poor ability to properly distribute the balls to all his teammates, he don't involve all of them. That's a problem that he has always had, since the seasons in Monza.
    Do you wanna know who else considers him good, but also overrated for example? Fabio Vullo, a guy who started watching volleyball since several years :thumbup:

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

Edited 4 times, last by Mamdani ().

• Maybe it's you the one who started not so time ago and I tell you why (just kidding) :) 10 years ago De Cecco wouldn't have been considered among the best ones at all, because the overall level was by far better than now (Ricardo, Meoni, Grbic, Ball, Zagumny etc.). De Cecco is a good setter as I said, but has a lot of weaknesses and the biggest one is the poor ability to properly distribute the balls to all his teammates, he don't involve all of them. That's a problem that he has always had, since the seasons in Monza.
    Do you wanna know who else considers him good, but also overrated for example? Fabio Vullo, a guy who started watching volleyball since several years :thumbup:

OK, several things from my side then.

1. We cannot and never should compare generations because the game changes in between. What he could've been or not 10 years ago is irrelevant, he plays in the era he was born. Volleyball was a bit different 10 years ago and then he could've adapted just as well, you don't know that.
    2. I don't think he is among the best right now because the generation is weaker. De Cecco, Drzyzga, Christenson, Marouf, Toniutti, Uriarte, Grankin, Butko, etc., are all great setters even if they are born later than the ones you mentioned. I don't think this is a weak group of players, but anyone is welcome to join the discussion at this point. I can start another thread to distinguish the development of volleyball and players in this gap of 10 years.
    3. Tell me a perfect setter! There is none, everyone has weaknesses. I agree that Grbic and Ball are almost the perfect examples, but the two of them are just exceptional. And a detailed analysis would show some of their imperfections. Who doesn't have weaknesses? The non-blocking Ricardo maybe? I, for instance, don't find Meoni that exceptional but this is just my opinion. Also, we've seen Zagumny lost in games because of a weaker shape. But it doesn't make him (or them) less of a remarkable setter(s). Some time ago I discussed what I don't like about De Cecco. It wasn't his ball distribution but rather the unnecessary high sets after a bad reception. When he is focused he distributes his sets great.
    4. Fabio Vullo may be a big name in the world of volleyball but it doesn't mean his opinion values more than any other volleyball expert. And especially than those who consider De Cecco great. Besides, what if your icon Vullo, just like any other human being, is proven wrong? This is about opinions, of course, it's much more difficult to prove someone wrong, I mean in general. We've seen and heard many great, and not so great, players say something extremely stupid/wrong.

• Dear Yavor, I like your analysis and I agree with you in many aspects ( especially points 3 and 4), but, sorry, I still consider this generation of setters very much weaker than the ones of 10 or 20 years ago (Drzyzga, Grankin? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... no no no :tzz: )

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• Dear Yavor, I like your analysis and I agree with you in many aspects ( especially points 3 and 4), but, sorry, I still consider this generation of setters very much weaker than the ones of 10 or 20 years ago (Drzyzga, Grankin? mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... no no no :tzz: )

This is your right, of course. To me, the game was quite different 20-30 years ago to make a general comparison. Back then, players could be more easily converted to several positions, they were really universal in the volleyball sense of the word, but the game itself was slower and the requirements for a setter weren't as great as they are today.

But it is a long discussion and I don't want to dive much further unless we have a reason or a separate thread.

• Looks like it's something serious, I hope the kid is fine

• Verona is simply embarassing. When they're playing against strong teams they show all their weaknesses and there is no way to turn things around.. Baranowicz is playing awfully (Inever really liked him, I would have kept Coscione..) with predictable and unprecise settings. The MBs are out of the match and also Pesaresi isn't digging so well. The only positive player is Kovacevic, but of course it isn't sufficient..completely disappointed by Verona's attitude! :down:

• And Petric shouldn't try to copy Ngapeth. It looks silly if it does not work. :teach: They need some solidity now. I hope for good entertainment in fifth set

• Uff, today on sportube I can only heard the comment to the match and the journalist names only Trento players -.-

Scarpetta, I also noticed how much Macerata was celebrating, but I don't see it as a troll and I kinda liked it ^^ I thought it is a way to forget how tired they must be...

About De Cecco, I discovered him on WL 2011 and I fall in love with him (and Solé). In general, I must admit I followed him more with the NT than with the clubs, and I remembered him to be more precise and creative...

I hope Ngapeth problems aren't about his kid :(

I was about to write 'about Fantavolley, I'm a bit disappointed by Solé stats today, he blocked once while Giannelli 4', and Solé blocked xD

• Yes, Trento won!! :rolll:
    I also love Modena but since M.Roma shut down I try to support the most 'Italian-NT' team, plus it's better to have all the top teams close in the score and beating one another ^^

I'm glad to hear that Antonov is doing well: I discovered him with the NT this summer (last year I didn't follow the Superlega) and I got the impression he wasn't that useful, considering how little Blegnini used him even in difficult situation (and considering the fact he isn't that young), but now I guess he could have gave him more credit, as Madami said few weeks ago.
    I'm curious to hear all your opinions ^^

Btw, one thing I really admire about Stoytchev is that he seems to me one that trust in his player a lot :drink: