2016 Olympic Games - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• Like Italy, Brazil and Poland might be recruiting Cubans to their national teams. Seriously, nothing cant be wrong in this case.

Sure it can. Most wrong in this, of course, is the cuban federation who deprives us of a potentially wonderful team which would fight for medals in every competition. Can't blame the players though....

• Sure it can. Most wrong in this, of course, is the cuban federation who deprives us of a potentially wonderful team which would fight for medals in every competition. Can't blame the players though....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• But why? Having naturalized players isn't something THAT unusual ?( In Italy women NT there were Aguero and Costagrande, Russia has Goncharova, Russian men also have naturalized players...

Natualizing players is totally against the idea of National Teams -- > playing for your country, because you have the nationality by birth/by your parents/one of your parents.

Indeed, Aguero, Costagrande, Goncharova...Mammadova...Wilfredo Leon...all the same...I'm totally against it.

• I'd give the MVP award to Wallace, no doubt about it.

I'm finally coming down fron the win high and geez, I really did not believe Brazil would win it, especially playing with two injured OHs. Serginho and Bruno really deserved this win after all the tough losses these last 5/6 years. Seeing players like William, Evandro and Éder as Olympic champions is amazing too. This is incredible. I've been following this team since 2001 and seeing a win like this 15 years later is just a surreal feeling. All the celebration before, during and after the podium, ugh. I'm not even making sense anymore.

Now I'm just even more excited for the new players that will join the NT starting next year.

• I can't even be mad at Serginho being chosen as MVP, even if it's a political award. Wallace and Bruno's performances will be remembered.

• Summing up the awards...

mvp: sergio
    best libero: sergio
    best ohs: Lucarelli / Russell
    best mbs: Birarelli / Volvich
    best opp: wallace
    best setter: bruno

• Birarelli and Volvich as best MBs say a lot about the level on this position lately.

Aaron took the best OH award. I'm so happy for him. He has been our leader for most of the tournament.

• Max Holt not getting a nod is just odd. :what:

Holt for the MB position was the best player for sure. And honestly I found Mauricio better than both Volvich and Birarelli, but I assume awards were given according to stats.

Shoji and Colaci played way better than Sergio.

• Holt for the MB position was the best player for sure. And honestly I found Mauricio better than both Volvich and Birarelli, but I assume awards were given according to stats.

Shoji and Colaci played way better than Sergio.

I agree 100%. Brazilian broadcasters went crazy for Holt these last two matches, so it's kinda weird not having him receive a nod for best MB (which he definitely was). I think Maurício wasn't that great, at least not in the same way as in the WL. He's still coming back from an injury, so I'm sure he can perform a lot better than he did in the Olympics.

Shoji and Colaci were indeed better than Sérgio throughout the tournament, no question about it, but Sergio really helped the team in reception and mostly motivation since the match against France. This MVP award may not go to the best player of the tournament this time, but I like to think it's going to the best leader on court.

• Natualizing players is totally against the idea of National Teams -- > playing for your country, because you have the nationality by birth/by your parents/one of your parents.

Indeed, Aguero, Costagrande, Goncharova...Mammadova...Wilfredo Leon...all the same...I'm totally against it.

ha.

did you forget about the kenyan woman marathoner who ran for holland? kiplagat?

you should be happy then with qatar, bahrain, turkey and azerbaijan shopping sprees of all those kenyan, cuban, ethiopian, bulgarian etc. athletes then.

at least juantorena lives in italy and speaks italian...